1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

"Godfather of the First-Person Shooter"

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by MR CHILLED, Jul 26, 2015.

1. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Thought this was pretty cool....would have loved it to be longer.

The founder of Doom and Quake talks on the development of Doom and Quake.

I remember when I first played Doom....I thought it was just absolutely groundbreaking, the start of fps. Then Quake took it to a new level.

It's only when we look back on these ground breaking days that we see how far we have actually come in terms of graphics and total immersion when we play games like Far Cry with its incredible visuals, not to mention so many of the other fantastic games we play these days. We've come a long way from the Doom and Quake days, but I'll never forget those great early days : )...../gets misty-eyed

http://www.smh.com.au/tv/series/show/motherboard/godfather-of-the-first-person-shooter-6000058.html

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  2. JugV2

JugV2 Member

I remember playing it on a 386 at work in my lunch break, because I didn't have a PC then.

3. mtma

mtma Member

As he says, Quake was really the climax of id. From there they descended away from being a groundbreaking games studio.

It was in many ways the climax for Romero's game development career too, which I suppose is why they kept the topic to his id days.

4. cdtoaster

cdtoaster Member

i feel more immersion in simple games like quake. when you start getting phone calls and stuff it breaks it up for me. in quake there were no distractions, you just focused on working your way through the game and got lost in it

5. RoboBust

RoboBust Member

IMO Daikatana was the best FPS Romero was involved with.

6. recoN

recoN Member

Just like the last time we had a decent single player FPS story experience (HL1).

7. MorganH76

MorganH76 Member

I still remember being a keyboard warrior back in the day, and my Mate bought his PC over for a LAN game, and showed me "Mouse Look" with Quake.

I told him that would never take off :)

8. datfreak

datfreak Member

I spent my childhood playing Doom and Quake but Duke nukem 3d is the one that wowed me at the time.

The old guy shop keeper that sold the teenage me Nuke 3d, gave a photocopied page with the codes to unlock either more gore or boobs. The start of game patching for content.

9. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

I was the same.

Even tried to persist in playing quake with keyboard only.

It did not end well.

10. Yerolo

Yerolo Member

That period between 1993-96 was definitely the golden era of gaming :thumbup:

Doom, Doom 2, Quake, Duke 3D just wow

11. JugV2

JugV2 Member

Even Hexen was good. That was the sequel to Heretic I think.

Built on the Doom engine but it allowed jumping which was a new thing back then!

12. Yerolo

Yerolo Member

Totally forgot about the Heretic/Hexen series, they were awesome as well. Used to cart my PC (and bloody CRT monitor) over to a mate's place to play Hexen 2 lan co-op back in the day....half that time was spent getting the 2 PCs to talk to each other :lol: good times :thumbup:

13. MorganH76

MorganH76 Member

Also bought my first 3D card for Quake.

Creative Labs 3D Blaster....

Believe it was a 4MB Rendition chipset :)

14. BuD

BuD Member

So i played doom then quake.
    went to a mates place where 5 of us went to play quake over Lan
    i was poor as heck those days and my mate had spare cash and i remember him buying the voodoo card and saw what quake looked like on it
    a few weeks later ( and a few less meals ) we all found $400 to buy a voodoo card

15. Yerolo

Yerolo Member

Same...I bought the Diamond Monster Voodoo 3Dfx, was totally mindblowing at the time. Those cards were revolutionary for gaming, IIRC the first two games which showed it off were GLquake and Tomb Raider

16. power

power Member

I won't lie, as much as I was completely blown away by things like Quake (doom less so) it was really games like Dungeon Master that introduced the first person view so I feel that they were more influential in that regard. The tech was always going there it was just a matter of when.

17. JugV2

JugV2 Member

I've said it before, my first FPS was on a Tandy CoCo128K PC with a game called Dungeons of Daggorath.

I still have it emulated on my pc today.

Dungeon Crawler, with linear graphics and black and white colour only.

So many hours on this game, it's still challenging today.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  18. power

power Member

that's the thing people go goo goo over doom etc when really it was just a natural evolution of technological progress, much like how people go ape over iPhones - when really all they did was push out a product that was of the time and maturity of the tech, you don't hear people wax lyrical about the Newton or Windows Mobile - but they pushed the idea of mobile computing devices with "touchscreen" earlier and were the real pioneers.

The true grand daddy's of first person are things like Battlezone, open world we had Hunter and Midwinter, etc etc. Doom/Quake represent a jump for sure but that's about it, leveraged old ideas with the tech of the day.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  19. Sharpe

Sharpe Member

In some ways, FPS games have come along way. In others they've not come far at all. The gameplay in these games is basically the same as it was in wolf3d. Point, click and shoot the baddy til their health goes down. The mechanics haven't really changed much at all. I'm not sure whether that says the mechanics, as they were originally convieved, are perfect and stand the test of time, or whether there needs to be much more innovation in terms of how we interact with these FPS games.

20. power

power Member

I'm from the have not come far side of the fence.

Not that I don't love advancing tech, but yeah, build level, insert baddies - test, insert player!