1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

"Godfather of the First-Person Shooter"

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by MR CHILLED, Jul 26, 2015.

1. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

Heh, so it looks like Carmack didn't want to be interviewed by Vice then hahah.

Romero, father of FPS, that's a good giggle :D

2. Sharpe

Sharpe Member

I agree with that. As far as I can tell all the more nonsensical elements of doom and especially quake come from Romero. A lot of quake makes no sense at all and feels like a mishmash of stuff that doesn't add up.

3. RoboBust

RoboBust Member

Evolution indeed, Battlezone was over a full decade earlier. The first 3D game I remember being truly wowed by was F/A-18 Interceptor on my Aunties Amiga 500. Not FPS but it blew my little mind.

Not to take away from the awesomeness of Wolf, Doom and Quake. ROTT? Duke certainly took things further with interactivity, storytelling and comedy (Shadow Warrior?). Oddly enough Goldeneye on Nintendo 64 took the innovation torch away from PC briefly, massively ahead of its time.

Half Life, yeah we got a slight glimpse of what it was going to be like with Unreal. Delta Force showed us what expansive areas were like in FPS (with grass!). Thief invented the FPStealth genre, added lean, and featured a sound engine which still puts some games to shame. Deus fucking Ex. From then on nothing in the genre has been teeeeerribly innovative? Not to say there hasn't since been sweet games.

Man, writing this has reminded me what a good period 1997-98 was for FPS.

4. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Came here to post these things, don't have to now. Amazing how few people know the actual history of technology, despite so many good resources out there documenting it (whether that be hardware or software).

5. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I disagree with the part about not advancing far at all. At the end of the day you really can't play around with the format too much because you are trying to change an apple into an orange. FPS is exactly that.....it's a shooter, so you're always going to have the same basic format.

6. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

For me for example I don't have those games as a reference point as they were beyond my time however I can distinctly remember Wolf3D, Doom, Duke3D and Quake because they were front and center for me growing up and I remember each leap they took.

There are certain key points in gaming that people remember. For newer generations it will be stuff like GoldenEye on N64 because it gave 4 player local deathmatch or Halo for really delivering an FPS as a single player and multiplayer experience online. There will be always something before it 'that' somebody wont know of.

7. RoboBust

RoboBust Member

Goldeneye had more going for it than just local deathmatch! Though yeah, good times. Stop looking at my sceen!

In some cases they've actually gone backwards in all areas other than graphics though.

8. JugV2

JugV2 Member

I think Perfect Dark was also groundbreaking.

9. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

What areas have they gone backwards?

10. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

ooh burn

OOH

-----
    I loved Doom 2 so much as a youngster that I made several mods and maps for the game.

11. Joehax

Joehax Member

That period during the early to mid 90s really was the golden era of PC gaming..

12. RoboBust

RoboBust Member

I have heard that, seems more evolution from Goldeneye though? I dunno, I'm an idiot and sold my 64 by that point :(

Not always. Focus clearly on graphics at the expense of sound, level design, controls/gameplay mechanics, storytelling, originality. Not just FPS, kinda the state of the industry as a whole, with obvious exceptions. Don't really blame them, if you can break all records with COD 13, why not?

;D

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  13. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Yes, everything was just so new and fresh then.....now we have many new fps's coming out daily, it seems.

14. nikloas

nikloas Member

15. metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

Made me very nostalgic - the bar was set so much lower back then due to technology - and to be fair, most games were crap (they still are, but they're more polished turds).

It's a shame that they split during quake. His level design was really good.

16. ipex

ipex Member

wolfenstien on my trusty 386 with 2meg ram and 20mb hdd , still remember the cheat cold "kil"

17. Life_Essence

Life_Essence Member

No one remembers ROTT :( The inbetweener of Wolf3D and Doom that was totally overshadowed by Doom. It wasn't just an FPS it was puzzle game and jumpin all over the place crazy ludicrous gibs nonsense, I absolutely loved it. I never played Quake until Quake 3 Arena so I missed that but I think from that I went to Battlezone II which blew my god damned 12 year old mind.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  18. RoboBust

RoboBust Member

I remember ROTT :) Dem eyeballs, lol

Also I forgot to mention Portal, commercial version of Narbacular Drop but yeah another milestone.

Lies and deceit! It was precisely because of the technological limitations that they had to focus more on the stuff that matters most - gameplay. This is why much of the gaming I do these days is indie, it's where the love is at. Not all about making things pretty, dumbing stuff down/making it easy as shit and appealing to the widest audience possible to maximise profits.

Slightly off topic but relevant, there has not been a better rally simulation than Richard Burns Rally, a game released in 2004. How pathetic, considering the grunt we now have at our disposal.

19. metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

Yes, and the gameplay of most games was fucking awful. We remember the good stuff, and forget the swathes of bad.
    It's the same nowadays, just a bit shinier.

20. Yerolo

Yerolo Member

Arg my eyes. Sorry man, I won't ever agree to this statement at all. Look at all these gems which came out in the 90's, most of these games were genre defining and set the benchmark most games still try to achieve to this day

• Lucasarts Adventures (DOTT, Sam n Max, Monkey Island, Full Throttle, Grim Fandango)
    • Wolfenstein 3D
    • Xwing / Tie Fighter series
    • Doom
    • Cannon Fodder
    • Myst
    • Heretic / Hexen
    • Warcraft
    • Quake
    • Tomb raider
    • Diablo
    • Dungeon Keeper
    • Theme Park / Hospital