1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

GOG Galaxy 2.0 All-in-one Launcher

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Sphinx2000, Dec 10, 2019.

1. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

GOG Galaxy 2.0 All-in-one Launcher, has now gone in to open beta for everyone to try.
    https://www.gogalaxy.com/en/

From the developers at CD Projekt, this all-in-one Launcher can connect and launch games from GOG, XBox Live, Epic Game Store, Origin, Steam, Uplay, Blizzard launchers, and more from a central launcher.

Once synchronised, you can start the game from Galaxy 2.0 which will automatically start the appropriate launcher and then play the game. There is also options to automatically exit these other launchers after you quit the game, for you. You can also sync and centralise friends lists from other launchers all in one list, it also imports metadata like achievements, stats, time played, activity feeds and so on.

Heavily customisable, there are also lots of view and filter options, groupings and a fast quick search. All your launcher settings are also cloud sync'd between devices.

There is also community modding and github search and game integration for many other games.
    Full list here: https://github.com/gogcom/galaxy-in...47d3c237555bec506ebdb47694252/PLATFORM_IDs.md

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  2. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I was on the closed beta for a while, but they still have the bug from the first client revision where it can't connect back to the mothership when you launch it via an RDP session.

I manage a few gaming machines via RDP to do updates while I'm elsewhere doing other things, so that's highly frustrating. Needing to sit directly at a machine to admin/update it is so 20th century.

(This problem doesn't affect Steam, Origin, Epic, Battle.Net, or any other launchers I can think of which all let me install/update them and games remotely).

[edit]

Oh yeah, and to report a bug, you have to do it via the app. *sigh*

3. OP
    OP
    Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

But RDP is so 20th century. :p
    Try using Anydesk, Teamviewer, etc? or even Chrome Remote Desktop?

4. elvis

Teamviewer/Anydesk are cancer and should be banned from the Internet. Honestly, don't even start me on those and their laundry list of design faults.

Beyond that, RDP is to Windows as SSH is to Linux. It's built in, default, secure, works with local authentication. Any developer who breaks compatibility with those as remote management tools failed QA 101.

I'll submit a bug report (once I get physically in front of said machines, which is likely to be a weekend when I'd rather be playing games, not maintaining systems). I shouldn't need to turn to horrendous third party tools to make this work when all other launchers work fine this way. GOG is the odd man out here.

Other than that, the new launcher does look nice. And I still use GOG by preference for their anti-DRM stance. So it's a small whinge.

the_fuzz likes this.
  5. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Does it actually launch the battlenet title? Or still need to click play? Sux currently got desktop shortcuts to games like modern warfare so I open it and sit there waiting only to realise I have to then click play on the battlenet app. Pointless.

6. kreegor

kreegor Member

I've been waiting for this!

7. breno

breno Member

Open a launcher to automatically open another when I know what I want to play? Hmm, probably won't work for me as I generally only play one game any given night.
    Probably check it out for the other features tho.

8. OP
    OP
    Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Yes, it launches Battle.Net titles without needing to click to play (also a pet peeve of mine).
    Depending on your version, Battle.net may not supported out of the box, you may need to install the plugin from here first: https://github.com/FriendsOfGalaxy/galaxy-integration-battlenet

Then you will find it in the connect platform settings.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
    walker_2003 likes this.
  9. Dingostolemyghz

Dingostolemyghz Member

Don't worry, elvis will chime in soon to defend the devs, that they can't possibly cater to every obscure use case, and then make a witty remark about entitled gamers :p

spootmonkey, Zenskas and walker_2003 like this.
  10. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Been using this for a couple of weeks, I installed the battlenet plugin and it still doesn't load my battlenet games. Mucho sado.

Working fine for everything else though.

walker_2003 likes this.
  11. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

You need the plug in as posted above.

12. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Yep... see how in the post you quoted I said I've installed the plugin already.

walker_2003 likes this.
  13. OP
    OP
    Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Plugin works well for me, are you seeing Battle.net in the Community Integrations section?

[​IMG]

Also, are you using the latest version v0.43 of the plugin windows.zip extracted in to your battlenet plugin folder?

14. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Yeah it's all logged in/connected/authenticated. Shows my battle net id in the battlenet page and everything in GOG.

I installed it using a plugin manager/updater, all the other integrations worked from there but I might rip out all of the battlenet stuff and do a manual install

15. OP
    OP
    Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

16. jpw007

jpw007 Member

I won't be able to test it out this side of xmas i don't think so have a question if you can answer:

Does it allow you to install the games in other launchers too, or does it only show what you've got installed? It sounds nice to put them all together and it'd be even better if i can see my entire library since i know theres games in my libraries that i want to play but, well, by default i think they're hidden so i never think about them :lol:

17. TheWatcher

TheWatcher Member

Whats wrong with TeamViewer?

18. elvis

Multiple compromises internally has leaked their password database several times.

2019:
    https://www.securitynewspaper.com/2...kers-would-have-accessed-billions-of-devices/

2016:
    https://www.cnet.com/how-to/teamviewer-hacked-how-to-find-out-and-what-to-do/

And just in general, their whole design makes bypassing internal security far too easy (including doing so maliciously).

They're an abysmal company with a short sighted product.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
  19. Smegenstein

Smegenstein Member

Got round to installing this today. Wonder if I will use it much.

20. OP
    OP
    Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

It uses platform connection handshaking to show all libraries and titles you own in one spot, including centralised friends lists, activity and achievements. So it's certainly a lot better than just quick launch of what is already installed. You can filter many settings like currently installed or on a specific platform, sort by many things like personal rating or recently played, etc. And you can bookmark different filter settings for easy quick reference.

It certainly helps with noticing titles you may have forgotten you own across a bunch libraries, it can also sync and track with console libraries too. Not to launch, but all the other centralised stuff.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019