Going custom WC for the first time for 9900k

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by Keiser`, Jan 18, 2019.

1. Keiser`

Keiser` Member

Need some guidance on building custom WC for my Aorus Master z390 with 9900k and a 2080.

I was planning to get https://www.pccasegear.com/products/34972/ek-kit-p360-liquid-cooling-kit but would this be all I need or would I need to buy anything else?

And if not, any recommendation on what I should use for custom wc for my build?

Literally 0 clue on custom wc...

My case is evolv x if that helps.

2. hawpinghaxbag

hawpinghaxbag Member

3. OP
    OP
    Keiser`

Keiser` Member

Would I be better off getting individual pieces?

Other than the GPU block, is everything else included in the kit itself?

4. kEv_

kEv_ Member

yep, that kit will have everything you need, other than the gpu block and the 2 extra fittings you will need,
    other things to consider; 45 and 90 degree fittings, will they help your routing?,
    you've checked the rad fits the case?,
    how are you gonna drain it?

GL!

5. OP
    OP
    Keiser`

Keiser` Member

The 2 extra fittings is for the gpu block right?

Yeah I've looked into 45 and 90, they will help heaps. And yea the rad fits the case, heaps of evolv x using custom wc. Seen a few with this rad as well so should be all good!

How is the maintenance of it? like weekly or fortnightly kind of thing

6. kEv_

kEv_ Member

correct, every "item" in the loop needs 2 fittings

maintenance maybe once a year, i forget the last time i changed the water in either of my loops...
    one runs distilled+silver coil and the other runs distilled and liquid utopia

EDIT: oh i just noticed you didnt mention your exact 2080, check the block hawpinghaxbag linked is compatible before pressing "buy"!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  7. OP
    OP
    Keiser`

Keiser` Member

I've got Strix OC 2080 atm.

Going custom wc, is it worth upgrading my motherboard from aorus master to like formula extreme or aorus extreme or msi godlike for their waterblock vrm?

Oh so it's not that often for maintenance huh? That's the only thing that's keeping me away from it tbh... kinda cbf doing maintenance week in week out. But if its like monthly or so it woulda been tempting..

8. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

So long as you have something in the water to prevent "growth", Once every 12 months is more than enough. Most people wouldn't even do that. That kit has coolant included so you're covered on that front anyway. Just add $2 for distilled water and you're golden.

Motherboard is fine, Quick google says it has great vrm cooling anyway. Don't waste your money changing it to add a waterblock. Not going to magically make your cpu a better clocker.

Edit: Check the ek website to find a suitable block for your video card if one exists yet. (well an ek block anyway) :p
    https://www.ekwb.com/configurator/

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
  9. OP
    OP
    Keiser`

Keiser` Member

Fair.

Would it be worth to get individual pieces rather than the set? Like I don't mind spending more if I can get something that will last me longer and better quality.

Should I just compare what's on the kit and basically get a better version of that item individually?

10. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

If you plan to use different fans, or tubing/fittings etc it might be worthwhile hunting things up separately. But there's nothing "bad" as such in that kit. Definitely one of the better ones.

Quick look on the ek website isn't showing a block for your video card yet though. Seems thermaltake and bitspower have one though.

11. OP
    OP
    Keiser`

Keiser` Member

Can I get the kit and buy a different block? I'm assuming the fitting would be fine for another brand?

Out of all the EK kit, which one would you recommend? They have quite a few

12. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

Virtually all waterblocks / radiators etc use the same sized holes/thread etc. So no need for brand loyalty. Just make sure the fittings are the same size as the tubing you are using.

Best thing to do would be look at what your case can support radiator wise and go from there.

Ie. it might take say a 3x120mm fan (360) radiator, but you do have to be aware of how thick it is before it hits your motherboard for example.
    So in that kit i think the radiator was 40mm thick + 25mm for a standard fan, so you would need at least 65mm clearance.

13. OP
    OP
    Keiser`

Keiser` Member

Yeah I looked at the cleareance. I think I have 60mm clearance if I use one but I might go for the 40mm x 2 for cpu and gpu.

Which one is the better rad out of all the ek kit?

14. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

Depends on how loud you want your fans. Some radiators are really tightly packed and designed to have high speed noisy fans blasting at em.
    Some are less condensed and better suit slower/quieter fans.

Main thing radiator wise would be to avoid the "Fluid Gaming" kits, as they use alloy radiators which don't really work well long term with copper waterblocks etc.

15. OP
    OP
    Keiser`

Keiser` Member

16. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

Minus the RGB, both kits appear virtually identical. Same radiator, same pump, same water block.

Certainly not worth $200 difference unless you really like RGB.

I can't talk, I went stupid on RGB and regret it completely. Was fun for a few weeks, now it just annoys me. lol

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
  17. OP
    OP
    Keiser`

Keiser` Member

Do I need to get a 2nd rad for the GPU? Or is the one enough for both cpu and gpu?

18. bobster

bobster Member

I have 1080ti and 9600k with 360mm x 25mm rad and getting high 50's degrees on GPU and high 60's on GPU in game. I would get another rad if you are cooling 9900K

19. im late

im late Member

It is "enough"...albeit cooler than air or AIO, but that depends on what temps you deem as "enough".

For example 50 on gpu and 60 on cpu is too hot for my liking.....but still acceptable temps.

I am going 32 on gpu and 45 on cpu under load. but all depends on ambient room temp of course, but figures are usually that.

You can see what I am using in my sig.

When I had another case and two 480 rads went down to 28 on the gpu and 40 on the cpu. For comparison sakes.

20. mctrix

mctrix Member

are you going to run the water from the cpu block into gpu without cooling it again or will you run cpu into rad then to gpu then to rad then to cpu?

Im assuming most who do run from cpu to gpu understand/accept that the water will be heated prior to hitting the gpu