Going Hard Tube

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by AstinGC90, Mar 27, 2017.

1. OP
    OP
    AstinGC90

AstinGC90 Member

Thermaltake Bending kit on hand. Will try get some bends done tonight but it will be a through the week job no doubt.

2. OP
    OP
    AstinGC90

AstinGC90 Member

No hope of getting onto this just in case anyone is following haha, started getting sick yesterday :sick: and am heading off on a long weekend Thursday :thumbup:

3. OP
    OP
    AstinGC90

AstinGC90 Member

So I got a chance last night at 10 P.M to get a look at my loop. Got my two slim 360 rads in and changed my loop from gpu cpu rad rad to gpu rad cpu rad and I don't know if the extra 120mm of radiator made the difference but temps are at least 9c lower on the CPU and 3-5c lower on the GPU at load. I went from the extreme EK 60mm thick rads to EK slim 26mm rads as well. I thought if anything temps would have gone up. Is it possible my Corsair MagLev's couldn't get enough air through the 60mm rads and that's why I'm getting better temps on the 26mm ones?

4. OP
    OP
    AstinGC90

AstinGC90 Member

Hey team I took quick (horrible) photo. Any ideas on how to make hard tubing that bottom right pump/res area simplified, will be quite tight as it stands and with the bottom of the front rad lower then the res and pump draining will be an issue also.
    [​IMG]

5. havabeer

havabeer Member

90degree fittings, also getting a res/pump combo or top would remove the need to join the two together aka less fittings

Maybe look at going:
    CPU to Res
    Res to pump
    Pump to 360 rad
    360 rad to GPU

Could also look at turning the 360 rad upside down to avoid a bit of a rats nest down there

6. OP
    OP
    AstinGC90

AstinGC90 Member

Thanks for the reply. I have 4 90's on hand so I will eye ball it and see what I can figure out and post my thoughts. Might look at a res/pump as you've said.

7. Frag

Frag Member

Order is - Res-> Pump -> Who cares -> Who cares

The delta for the liquid in WC is insignificant, been tested since day dot in WC cooling. So all you really need to worry about it Res to Pump and then whatever tickles your fancy, ie shortest path or a specific look you want.. or like me easy to swap gear out using QDC's.

8. OP
    OP
    AstinGC90

AstinGC90 Member

Excellent :thumbup: Will wing it then hahaha

9. Paulie_AU

Paulie_AU Member

Eventhough the loop order doesn't matter I run pump - rad - cpu - gpu - res on my main build because the GPU runs such nice temps under a block so the cpu may as well have first pass.

Bench runs pump - cpu - gpu - rad - res again cpu needs cooling more than gpu but it doesn't matter.

In my ITX build I think I run pump - gpu - cpu - rad because that is the best layout for the tiny space available.

10. Paulie_AU

Paulie_AU Member

A previous build of mine had the pump on the CPU block, but if a separate pump I would have it directly below the res if possible. Using 90's keeps it much tidier. I think my current build only has one heated bend in it and also a piece of hidden soft tubing for plumbing ease.

Old build.
    [​IMG]

Current case different board and gpu to current. You can see the sneaky soft tube just above the rad.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  11. OP
    OP
    AstinGC90

AstinGC90 Member

Wow man, that's so nice. Well done. I wish my PSU wasn't so god damn long now :lol: and using the fractal pump block is a sneaky trick to avoid the clutter down the bottom right, well done :thumbdn:

I got started tonight :leet:
    This is my very first attempt at a bend and I was pretty happy with myself TBH, no bubbles or flat spots :D

[​IMG]

Some more images of progress made this evening are uploading now. Bending PETG is easy to learn but hard to master I must say...

12. OP
    OP
    AstinGC90

AstinGC90 Member

Battle station:
    [​IMG]
    First double 90:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    3 runs done, I also found my pump bracket to get it off the floor, I might grab a pump res combo before progressing further:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    One failure, I cut it 4mm to short haha:
    [​IMG]
    Leftovers:
    [​IMG]
    The floor :wired:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  13. Paulie_AU

Paulie_AU Member

It is amazing how useful stuffed up cuts can be on subsequent builds. My latest I cut 1 new tube and reused a old 45 degree bend too.

14. OP
    OP
    AstinGC90

AstinGC90 Member

So I don't really know how I'm going to hard tube that bottom right corner TBH. I cant flip that front rad as the outlets will not clear the top rad. The CPU outlet to bottom right rad inlet is to long of a run for the 500mm PETG I think as well so I might do the run from CPU to the end of the GPU then put a 90 degree fitting, then another run to the rad.

Ideas? Grab a 150ml res to clean it up and take out the 250ml?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  15. rn882001

rn882001 Member

would cpu -> res -> pump -> rad -> gpu work? would be fiddly though unless you get a pump/res combo.

16. Paulie_AU

Paulie_AU Member

Pump - cpu - toprad - gpu - bottomrad - res will work.

Having some 90 degree fittings will make it easier and neater especially the pump to cpu run.

17. OP
    OP
    AstinGC90

AstinGC90 Member

I'm thinking this should get me sorted, I have 2 spare rotary 90's at home remaining, 2 in use already on the GPU and pump. Thoughts prior to ordering?

https://www.pccasegear.com/sc/vTJ

[​IMG]

18. Paulie_AU

Paulie_AU Member

Is there a way to get your pump mounted on your res or is that a full new combo?

19. OP
    OP
    AstinGC90

AstinGC90 Member

New combo :-(

20. OP
    OP
    AstinGC90

AstinGC90 Member

I caved and ordered the res pump combo. EK 140 DDC elite. Anyone want a DDC pump, res x250, fittings, 360 x 60mm thick and 240 x 60mm thick rads haha