Going to the States

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by head80, Feb 10, 2014.

1. OP
    OP
    head80

head80 Member

Starting to work on the mrs now to convince her we need to drive. I probably won't book anything until mid april, until the NFL schedule comes out. I ain't going to America without seeing the New York Giants at Metlife Stadium.

You guys have been an unbelievable help.

2. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I think you will love Vegas if you've never been before. Awesome place :thumbup:

3. petercr

petercr Member

It's got to be an agg-spiracy but look what just appeared as an ad at the bottom of this thread...

[​IMG]
    Click to view full size!

4. 5tumpy

5tumpy Member

Just tell her you're worried she's going to get felt up on the bus by a sleazy mexican... It's probably not far from the truth! lol...

Seriously though... It's only way to see most of the USA... There are maybe 2 or 3 cities with sufficient public transport to be without one, and you're only visiting one of them!

5. Zee

Zee Member

This. And as stated before, bus travel in the US really is reserved for a special level of "have not".

Look in to one way rentals, it may be cheaper to do a one way from Vegas to LA/San diego, as way more people do one way rentals to Vegas.

Also, the earlier you book, the cheaper the rates in the US.

Finally, whatever price they claim the daily rate is, the reality is double (by the time you add the insurances.

Oh, and enjoy filling up at less than $1 a litre...

Z...

6. petercr

petercr Member

what's the duty-free allowance on petrol again?:tongue:

7. vec

vec (Taking a Break)

Agreed completely. And it really is not as daunting as it sounds driving on the "other side" of the road. I'd say after an hour you're sweet and honestly it becomes a bit of a novelty, I quite enjoy it.

Turning left or right at intersections takes a couple of times to get used to but as long as you remember "Righty Tighty, Lefty Loosey" you'll be ok.

8. Zee

Zee Member

Regarding car rentals, I heard about a rental company that doesn't rape foreigners for insurances in the US on their car rentals - I'll try and get the details today.

Edit - carrentals.com
    Z...

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  9. die_piggy

die_piggy Member

This is possibly a thread crap, but may be helpful to OP if he does decide to drive.

For the first day or two driving in LA I drifted to the right side of the lane constantly, the rest of the driving was a piece of cake to get used too, but lane placement did take a while to get used to.