Going with Internal SSD or External SSD on Xbox One X

Discussion in 'Microsoft Consoles' started by poleposition, Feb 15, 2020.

1. poleposition

poleposition Member

Hey OCAU,
    I've scoured the web as best as I can but unfortunately can't find any definitive answer.

Just wondering if anyone could confirm if running the same SSD drive internally or externally would be the same speed (or slower).

There was some mention that the internal Sata was actually sata 2 in the Xbox One X but other mentions point to Sata 3

I didn't want to have an external hard drive enclosure usb sticking out of the xbox one x (where it is positioned I didn't want to place it on top of the drive due to heat) and internally would be much neater.

Ultimately if Internal would be the same speed as External that would be amazing.

Thanks for your time.

stalyoni likes this.
  2. stalyoni

stalyoni Member

i use a samsung t1 500gb ssd usb 3.0 drive ive had kicking around for ages and had no other real use for it then to use it on my xbox one x. I load the games i play the most on it like CODMW and BV5 and i find the speed to be much quicker then the internal drive. I know this doesnt answer your question but if it was me i would just use an external one as your only going to sell it one day and you wont get the money back by putting an internal ssd in it. Also even though im a computer technician of 25 years i wouldnt want to mess it up taking it apart to only brake it. Have seen plenty of videos of how to do it and havent been bothered to do it myself as my external solution works great for me. I have an xbox one x in the bed room and an xbox one s in the lounge room so the external solution works great for me. I just unplug the external ssd or my seagate 5tb hdd i have on my xbox one x and take it in the lounge room and im good to go.

Personally i wouldnt bother and buy the biggest and quickest external ssd you can find.

3. power

power Member

external, buy a cheap ssd and a generic enclosure - job done.

stalyoni likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    poleposition

poleposition Member

Thanks very much for the input. Makes good sense. The main reason I wanted to chuck the hard drive internally was that load times when first booting up were 20 seconds faster and while games on the ssd didn't load any faster than USB 3.0 external hdd caddy, there is something rather appealing about an SSD upgraded xbox one x haha.

Hey Power, good point. I currently have the external hard drive with a SSD but I am still a little bit inquisitive of having it internally installed (one less thing sticking out of the console on its shelf)

5. Hater

Hater Member

I'd pull it apart and install it internally. It doesn't take very long and is easily reversible if you go to sell. A clean install is much more important to me though, I hate all the random boxes and cables every AV install has these days. They're just tacky and make the loungeroom look cheap.

daehenoc likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    poleposition

poleposition Member

Thanks heaps. I remember seeing somewhere about the possibility of the console getting blocked or something similar? I am the same when it comes to extra boxes etc.

7. power

power Member

i bought an XB1 (the big og one) off the forums with an upgraded drive, it kept shitting itself every time there was an update - it's not a supported upgrade like the PS4.

i got it back to working two or three times, then reset it to give to someone as a gift - shit itself again (this was after I had reset it and checked it worked). reverted to factory drive (which was thankfully included) has been perfect ever since.

in other words YMMV and in my experience it's just not worth the hassle.

stalyoni likes this.
  8. daehenoc

daehenoc Member

Oh goody, I just upgraded the Xbox One and Xbox One X that I have with 2Tb SSDs, guess I'll find out what happens in the next firmware update!

poleposition the limiting factor with the external drives is the USB interface, you won't notice tons of difference between and external HDD and external SSD - you may notice some, as the much faster access time of the SSD may still be observable in game play or general use.

As I said, I've upgraded two XB to internal SSDs and it made a very large difference to all games loading and running :thumbup:

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
    stalyoni likes this.
  9. daehenoc

daehenoc Member

OK, there was an XBox firmware upgrade that was automatically applied a day ago (since the upgrade from 1Tb HDD to 2Tb SSD) and that upgrade appears to have worked just fine, hooray!

10. power

power Member

Yeah it seems to be hit and miss.

11. Jaded5542

Jaded5542 Member

Correct me if im wrong, but from what I understand its mainly in the One X, as it's SATA 3 the One S its better to use an external as the USB 3 port is faster than the SATA.
    I could be wrong, but I remember watching videos and wishing id got the 1X.
    I was in the same boat, I'm going external purely for the fact ill upgrade to the new Xbox when I can get one, so I can still use the HDD on the new Xbox.

No matter what you go it'll be faster, just if you want an external or internal.

12. daehenoc

daehenoc Member

Using wikipedia as my source:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_One includes in the Connectivity list as "3x USB 3.0"
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_3.0 states that: "USB 3.0 has transmission speeds of up to 5 Gbit/s...", which if you divide by 8 gives you 625Mbytes/s. (note the number of bits being divided by 8 to give you bytes.)
    The two HDDs I pulled out of the XBox One and XBox One X were a Western Digital WD5000LPVX and Seagate ST1000LM035, which are both SATA 6Gbit/s (SATA3) drives, so I will assume that the XBox One/X both have SATA3 controllers on the motherboard, divide 6 by 8 gives you 750Mbytes/s.
    So the raw theoretical performance of SATA3 is higher than USB3.0.

The wikipedia page lists the One X model as having a 1Tb SSHD, which is a HDD with a small SSD as cache built into the 2.5" HDD drive, which may be what you were hoping to get access to by buying the X model :thumbup:

In my experience, I have found that USB devices do not perform highly at all compared to HDDs connected directly to a SATA interface. Putting a SATA drive into an external USB case will always be slower than having the same HDD plugged directly into a SATA3 controller.

Elmf likes this.