Golden age of PC Gaming

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by Sphinx2000, Jun 6, 2019.

1. melatonin

melatonin Member

So its an FPS, you made it sound like sc3 was canned.

2. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

Agreed. I just dont see AR as being the savoir of gaming. Not now or 20 years ago. I always thought it was a gimmick. I will wait and see.

FYI my thoughts at this time are clouded by the death of my step father 4 years ago. Which is when I stopped playing modern games (GTA3) and stuck to old consoles.

3. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

Without wanting to be insensitive - why did you stop modern gaming?

By the way I think the latest season of Black Mirror (SE5E01) has a very profound spin on modern gaming............it is certainly worth seeing - it is a bit squeamish for me.................

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
  4. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

I got sick of DLC/net connection to play a game etc. I had big enough back catalogue to catch up on via steam (wasted too much money and not played games) and old consoles games. I only have so much time to play. I also got sick of the PC upgrade game. Simply easier to play basic games without downloading crap that I dont need.

Bold Eagle likes this.
  5. power

power Member

at any given time i have two or three modern and a bunch of retro stuff on the boiler. i get you are all curmudgeons but imo you're all missing out.

6. Zee

Zee Member

The first game to offer "DLC" so to speak, was Alternate Reality. When you bought the game, you originally just got the city, with other parts (Arena, castle, outside the city etc) supposedly being add ons you buy later.

They only ever managed one expansion.

Z...

7. Mynamewastaken

Mynamewastaken Member

Hey no curmudgeoning here. I think gaming today is still pretty great. With kids and jobs and general adulting, I still manage to find time for RDR2 on the Playstation, or creating another fucking character in Grim Dawn (I promise I'll finish it one day).

In response to the thread though, the 'Golden Age' and whatever that is suppose to encompass (new/exciting/innovation/story etc), has passed.

8. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I have games from all eras on the go currently. That's not my point.

My point is, considering the enormous rate at which games come out today compared to back then, why am I less excited about far fewer of them (in number, and especially in percentage)?

E3 is on now, and I'm mildly interested in one game so far. Mid 90s E3 would have had me gushing about dozens of games in a much smaller market.

Yes, there's still some interesting stuff today. But considering the list of points I posted back on page one, why isn't there more interesting stuff more often? Given how easy it is today to make and publish a game, why is so much of it just samey and banal? (Or is it for exactly that reason - the popularity and ease was its own downfall?)

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  9. Reaper

Reaper Member

Missing what? Console shooter BR type games? Easy pass. I'm playing lots of bl2 right now, still play the occasional game of jones in the fast lane, and if I'm on the only modern computer I have that still runs it, some castle of the winds. Still able to curmudgeon and not miss a thing.

Which one? For me it's the bl2 dlc. That's my only real care. I'm pretty cold on bl3 right now.

You seriously need to ask that why question? Money and trends, oh and money. Consoles both started and killed gaming.

10. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

You are probably right. I do play some newer console games at friends places but not much stands out, except for RDR2.

First DLC games I remember was Samba De Amigo, execpt is was on the disk.

11. elvis

Gylt.

I profoundly disagree on both points.

12. Reaper

Reaper Member

Really? Profoundly? The 2600 was a pretty big introduction to home gaming and the games that are now ruining gaming, hence your question above, are console shooters such as cod, etc. The console started the gaming age and now rules the darker age.

13. clonex

clonex Member

i think monkey island got me hook on games in general especially adventure games, sure i played some games on a msx the old man brought home late 80's( i think we had a atari 2600 as well there) and mates brothers C64 provided some fun but monkey island was really the game that i went WOW which was on a amiga 500.

i feel adventure games pretty much fizzed out late 90's. ive got so many old sierra games and lucas arts and what not on steam and GOG that ive had the intention to play again over the years. i did start playing one of the police quest games but moved house almost year ago and computer is still in the cupboard.

Ive always preferred adventure games be they click and point or the old sierra games that required you to type but adventure games sorta morphed into FPS late 90's/early 2000's and that was the death of em i feel, not saying there hasnt been some great games since then that ive played but it definately doesnt seem as magical as the 90's anymore.

There was so many adventure games back then but doesnt all childhood memories mostly seem magical?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  14. elvis

The 2600 didn't introduce either video games in general nor home gaming. It was certainly a big part of the early popular commercial wave, but things we already highly commercised by then.

Read the history of Atari and companies like Activision who fought them, and you'll see a lot of parallels with the modern gaming industry. Indie devs vs big bastard corporates, publishing and platform exclusivity arguments, etc, etc. These things didn't start with Steam vs Epic, nor will they end with them.

We have the same problems today we did then. 2600 shovelware was considered by many to be "the death of the games industry" at the time. (And like today, premature claims of the industry's death were quite wrong).

How do you figure? Game developers aren't a limited resource, and another COD game has little bearing on the rest of the industry.

I think blaming one franchise, game genre or even platform for the industry's current lack of month-by-month "wow factor" is missing a lot of the more complex issues at play. (And my gripe is this lacking - I certainly don't think the industry is dying, or anything dramatic like that. It's bigger than ever!).

I would argue that a part of the diverse list of problems are game buying audiences. The demand for hyper realism and constant triple-A quality means very few studios are willing to take a risk on something more stylised and interesting, focusing instead on a constant push on visuals instead of actual features like story and character development.

I'm playing "Hollow Knight" at the moment, and loving it. But my point is that games like it (not genre, but all those points about story and character development rather than just hyper-real visuals) are few and far between, which is odd considering the literal thousands of games released every month.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  15. elvis

So day 2, and still not a whole lot jumping out at me.

With that said, EA (yes, those bastards) released a video about... wait for it... smaller studios making great games. Ironic? Vomit-inducing? I 'unno. But despite the over-constructed platitudes, what the devs say in these videos *is* what I liked about gaming, past and present, even if it's got a logo on it from one of the biggest corporate bastards in gaming history.

16. kogi

kogi Member

looking forward to Cyberpunk, outerworlds, fallen order, deathloop and youngblood

17. elvis

I can't be too excited for things I haven't seen gameplay footage/commentary/reviews of yet.

18. kogi

kogi Member

:lol: It's not like I'm going to preorder it.

19. romanx

romanx Member

I wonder how many Call of Duty(s) are in the pipeline...

COD 14 - Sharks with Fricken lasers. DLC - Batman on a Unicorn if you pre-order.

20. elvis

I dunno about you, but that's how you'd get me to buy a COD game for the first time ever.

Daft_Munt likes this.