1. Win some Crucial goodies in OCAU's Christmas Treasure Hunt!
    Dismiss Notice

[WIN10] Gone back to WIN 7

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by Mathuisella, Apr 26, 2018.

?

All driver/game/compatability issues aside, which do you perfer 7 or 10

1. Windows 7

44.4%
  2. Windows 10

55.6%
  1. Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

Hey all, so I've been using 7 for a while, before that win2k SP4 and before that Win95, and win95/3.11.

Anyways, I was having issues trying to get NVME drive working with windows 7. Firstly i couldn't get it installed, then discovered things about signed and unsigned drivers which is just BS that caused so much frustration and i wanted to use the nvme drive as my bootable OS drive...

So, i with much hesitation went to windows 10, and boy was i not happy, the bloated start menu which seems to have no rhyme or reason to it and the rearrangement of finding anything where it usually is in terms of configuring the computer.

I got one of those programs to give me back my start menu and make things look like they should, classic windows shell ect: , to which i ask, why did they make things to unintuitive for existing windows users ?

Anyways, after slipstreaming usb3.0 and NVME drivers into a windows 7 ISO image, then loading it onto a USB thumb/flash drive i installed windows 7 without issue.

Everything now works as it should, nice quick things are where they should be and everything just works.

My printer that refused to work with 10 now works once more ( oh my, finding that out, to scan and submit a uni assignment was not a fun time, i managed to get it sorted by using my laptop instead )

All i can say is using windows 10 was so much fucking around and headache of an experience I don't want windows 10 ever.

So, who else went back to 7 from 10 and why ?

2. CDman

CDman Member

I can see your frustration.
    I've been using windows 7 for a while now.
    I was gonna try windows 8 but then windows 10 came out. And after seeing it on a few laptops, I just didn't want to mess with it.
    I'll stick to windows 7 for a little longer.

3. oldnewby

oldnewby Member

I used win 10 for about a year because of my new ryzen/nvme system, but after some of my old apps stopped working after an update I threw the towel in
    and re-installed win 7 with the aid of gigabytes slip tool. I feel like I'm back home again.:)

4. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

I tried 10 for a week as a desktop to get the free upgrade key.
    I tried it on a HTPC but it's slow, clunky, awkward to get around, and generally shit. So I went back to 7.

I'm just getting too old for this shit.

I know it's inevitable, but maybe one of the Linux distros will finally act as predictably as windows.
    I'm looking at all the distros that install fine and then have issues with display drivers requiring bloody console intervention in the boot loader. I mean, are you kidding me? You got all the way through the fucking install and then decided that you didn't know what to do with that kinda important IO device? This is something windows had nailed from the day dot.

5. Sinisstar

Sinisstar Member

I'm thinking of going back to 7 too. The last win 10 update has caused stuttering in games and it's annoying. Plus 7 is clean and slick to use without the bloat.

6. power

power Member

i updated to 10 @ work for #reasons but never even moved at home because well #noreasons.

If they want me to change my gaming PC over to 10 well I need a Crysis moment where I can only play a game with shiny things on 10.

Right now some games are locked to 10 for purely arbitrary reasons.

7. recoN

recoN Member

I upgraded from 7 to 10 and got way more frames in games, that's about the only reason. Otherwise I'd definitely go back to 7.

Still mystified why the UI is so fucking terrible.

Even for enterprise it's a pain in the arse.

8. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

I've always found it funny when people say its clunky to navigate, just search for what you want its right there.

How even? It's way easier to manage then Windows 7, 7 is a complete dog in comparison.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
    wilchelus likes this.
  9. NSanity

NSanity Member

There is a solid argument around the whole settings/control panel fuckery. But in general, you couldn't pay me to go back.

freaky_beeky likes this.
  10. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

I'll give you that one, imho they honestly should have just ripped the bandaid off on the Control Panel from the get go.I've found in the industry so many people approach a Windows 10 problem with a Windows 7 mentality, control panel is legacy and will be depreciated soon. 1709 started the trend with removing it from the quick links menu, and 1803 seems to have continued the trend.

11. power

power Member

that'd be nice if settings had all the settings....

freaky_beeky and Deeb0 like this.
  12. NSanity

NSanity Member

or half of them...

fuck it.

powershell everything (which is why Windows 7 can go die in a fucking fire. Even when upgraded to PS 5.1, its still crap with less than half the cmdlets).

freaky_beeky likes this.
  13. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

14. Turbine

Turbine Member

Ohh god. I can't even imagine how long it'd take to install all updates from a stock Win7 ISO.
    I remember building an image in 2015 and my PC was burning all weekend on the updates.

15. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

16. power

power Member

10 for work, 7 for home.

17. Turbine

Turbine Member

That's better I guess. Still no excuse to be using a nearly 10 year old operating system.
    Win7 looks so terrible after using Windows 10 for years. It looks even worse than the comparison between Win7 and WinXP.

I think my grandma had a similar cheapy HP printer as OP...hers would not work with W10 at all despite being brand new.
    I threw it in the bin and got her a better one.

NSanity and Dilbery like this.
  18. OP
    OP
    Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

Why throw it out when it's a functioning printer ? I bought it in 2013

Scanner and printer with wireless capabilities.

Win7 does everything i need and win10 doesn't give me any benefit over 7, only headaches.

19. OP
    OP
    Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

I noticed that my hard drive would spin up at random times when nothing is being done, eg: updates 100% turned off, and my LAN connection set to metered so that it won't update through it, yet it still was sending data back to microsoft....

20. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Every Windows interface sucks. 7 isn't really better, just familiar (well, aside from the Settings/Control Panel split, which really is as dumb as it looks).

Install a decent search-based launcher like Listary. Do everything through it. It works similarly to how most power users use Windows anyway (hit Win key, start typing to search) except that the search actually works. You won't look back.

deluxe likes this.