1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

[WIN10] Gone back to WIN 7

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by Mathuisella, Apr 26, 2018.

?

All driver/game/compatability issues aside, which do you perfer 7 or 10

1. Windows 7

45.3%
  2. Windows 10

54.7%
  1. BobJustBob

BobJustBob Member

hey "friend"... how are you? do you know me? (hope not, so we can start fresh and clean with no bias or hate) i'm bob and i love windows 7. i'm currently upgrading my system (hardware wise) and it's a win7 one. yes, in 2020.. and on brand new hardware. bob is going from x79 to x99. no, you're not "back in time", it's real. i even have a thread about it here. the thread is there at agg's pleasure. (yes, like "at governor's pleasure" but instead, agg.) that thread is a continuation of the original. either way it already paid off. mitty (do you know him?) has already "introed" bob to youtube-dl, a dos like command prompt tool that works grabbing youtube videos. bob is so happy about that. (and yes, bob is "special")

..anyhuw (yes, spelled correctly) bob is okay. i live in perth and currently have 36 likes on these forums. that makes bob cool, right? reading what i quoted, to me, makes it seem like you're "special" too.. bob thinks you like archiving things (and that you did the 3dfx ftp is a good sign - speaking of, bob still has working sli voodoo2 cards and other sexy old things. bob loved 3dfx and was an early adopter like with so many things of past times. bob still has rambus pc too which he has not booted for years so hopefully not dead. but then bob also has 386 with 4mb ram, tseng 1mb video, 3.5 & 5.25" floppies and roland lapc-i & sb.) and that your comment implies you did that for win7 too, recently. so if you have a working/genuine win7 iso (not hack job) with "deployment" images, please share with bob. (you can reply in my thread if you like. that's okay, trust me.) yes, bob has genuine win7 key and anyway, sharing windows images is allowed and all that. yes, i do have the official sp1 2011 iso, but the files are from 2011. i know i can install that and then update, but it's so much better to have a newer iso to begin with. that's obvious. do you have such newer iso? one from maybe msdn or whatever service M$ still has? surely those are updated isos. if yes, help bob out, would you kindly?

speaking of, i meant to "look into" this before but now i ask; microsoft used to have that subscriber technet that allowed you to grab just about any software they made ever. it included windows versions. last time bob was looking into that was 2011 and it only cost $300/year. i know technet was retired, but there still is a similar program still available, right? one where you can sign up (anyone) and then download microsoft programs including all windows versions. last i looked, some years ago, i found something like that and it was a crazy 1k or so usd. still, things change, and now, NOW, bob is crazier too and ready to drop the beats on that shit. but only if bob can get win7 iso from there that has january 2020 files. or close to that date. even december 2019 ones. well, okay as long as the iso has 2019 files, bob would be happy. and by "files" i don't just mean time/date stamped that way, but that the windows install will have any and all updates until that time/date once installed. if such option still exists, would anyone kindly link bob to a microsoft portal where anyone can sign up to that? yes, even if they last only a year, that's fine. bob would sign up, download until he bursts then bounce... tldr; bob is stupid enough to drop 1kusd (in 2020) on a "late" win7 build as long as directly from M$ and has integrated 2019+ files/setup.

2. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

Sorry bob, my deployment images are based upon bog standard Digital River SP1 Windows 7 from 2014. I use virtual machines and sysprep to update, configure and preload software on them.

As far as I know, Microsoft never rolled anything newer than SP1 isos, so it's totally DIY. If you want a MS direct DL and have a retail key, then this is your best bet: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows7

3. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

SCCM-managed corporate/IT-support vendor environment?

4. BobJustBob

BobJustBob Member

i got an image from there (just to retest if now the support ended the shits updated it) and same crap, from 2011. oh well.. the hunt continues.. bob is aware and has the 2016 (or so) "rollup" thingie, which he will bake in to an iso later, but still...

and you don't know if a M$ program still exists? an annual one that has all (most) software? technet was one, msdn another and maybe even one more. i'm sure one (even if it changed names) exists. yes, bob will look late, but asks in case someone uses one so they'd know straight away. very "weak" crowd of "experts" here.. that or bob is just "too much"? ..still, until bob dies, bob carries on...

5. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

Home user with too many family PCs to support...?
    Like I said, MS haven't rolled their own ISO updated since 2011. Pointless searching for something that doesn't exist.
    You could do that, but then you'll have spyware baked in. Might as well run 10 in that case.
    AFIK, it's now called "Visual Studio Subscription". Haven't really looked into it in a very long time.

6. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

The MSDN system, whatever name it goes by these days, is for developers. Licencing is not designed for consumer use, and MS will likely flag it if you're using it for such purpose.

7. Recharge

Recharge Member

interesting work around.

8. dimension11

dimension11 Member

Anyone have trouble with rolling all the updates into a single install ISO using DISM and WIndows AIK?
    Seems that it has an issue when the sources.wim file gets larger than 4gb?
    Thoughts?

9. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

I've been doing my custom images with VMware and dismgui. Well and truly over 4GB, no problems.

10. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

You're not using fat32 on the creation drive are you?

11. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Sup Bob.

Take a look at this post:
    https://forums.overclockers.com.au/threads/network-install-windows-10-8-7-vista-too-at-home.1283899/

Let's you build a network-deploy (PXE boot, etc) version of Windows 7 with no need for expensive deployment tools. You can push it out from a VM or a Raspberry Pi.

Couple that with WSUS Offline:
    https://download.wsusoffline.net/

And while it's not a one-step thing (i.e.: you need to deploy, reboot, patch, reboot) - at the very least you've got something under your control sitting on your systems, and no worry if Microsoft turn off their online tools one day.

Alternatively, build up an image how you like, sysprep it, and use FOG to capture it and be able to network deploy it again into the future:
    https://fogproject.org/

12. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

elvis bob is permabanned.

13. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Ha! Well sheeeeiiiit.

14. OP
    OP
    Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

:'( wonder what happened

15. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

Going through the post history, not really hard to work out why. That'll also only show things that didn't have to be deleted. :thumbup:

Perko and elvis like this.
  16. Kafoopsy

Kafoopsy Member

Work computers have been upgraded to Windows 10 which means that I no longer exist in the third dimension. I have entered the 2D world of Windows 10. Was a reminder that my reasons for staying away from Windows 10 is %95 due to the interface and its lack of custamisation. I want the upgraded underlying OS without the new interface.

Last edited: May 29, 2020
  17. OP
    OP
    Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

18. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

I'd rather an update and fire than no update and fire.

19. OP
    OP
    Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

read the whole article. You can't be that fucking stupid.

Last edited: May 29, 2020
  20. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

Read that back, That sounds more like a problem with a POS printer than the PC.