[WIN10] Gone back to WIN 7

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by Mathuisella, Apr 26, 2018.

?

All driver/game/compatability issues aside, which do you perfer 7 or 10

1. Windows 7

45.3%
  2. Windows 10

54.7%
  1. metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

Ah, all good - it was just the wording of the initial article that made it unclear. And the specific hole that the attack *was* targetting in this case was patched in oct19. But as you say, others could be blocked by that feature.

Although I don't use chrome.

Well, we're not completely unreasonable - but there are more reasons than internet access, familiarity and personal preference to use older versions of windows. But then, I'm probably wasting my time typing that out for you :)

2. millsy

millsy Member

Yeah my point was more that there's security features not in Win7 that exist in Win10, win32k lockdown was just one example of it. Though to be pedantic, it was the hole in chrome that was patched, not the security hole allowing chrome on win7 to hit win32.

With respect to other reasons, yeah not gonna try and change minds there, that's an emotive decision :thumbup:

3. metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

Fair cop - actually it's both - although I got the dates wrong.
    The Chrome hole was patched in Oct 19, the specific windows hole(s) used in that attack were patched in win7/10 in dec 19:
    https://securityaffairs.co/wordpress/94936/hacking/microsoft-fixes-cve-2019-1458.html
    Zero-day cve-2019-1458 is the one referred to in the article.

Unsure whether you mean here that the decision to use older windows is emotive, or that your decision not to contest it is emotive :)
    If former, there are valid technical reasons, depending on your use-case, but I would suggest that they're not certainly not mainstream use-cases.
    If the latter, fair enough! I concur.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
  4. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I would dare say a great many of these could be air-gapped from anything critical though, yeah?

Say if you're driving some sort of machinery (loads of printers, vinyl cutters, CNC machines and the like that insist on ancient Windows builds) or other semi-industrial requirement, yanking the network cable and transferring all your files via USB sneakernet (with full media av/malware scan) seems to be a viable mitigation.

I would hope that here in mid 2020 nobody's using Win7 live on the Internet though. Particularly if there was a commercial requirement, which meant risk of attack likely means financial loss, which then greatly pushes the idea of modern sofftware (even at cost of change) ahead of unsupported alternatives.

If that also isn't the use case you're inferring, I'd love to know what is.

Most of the angst against Win10 in this thread, specific to the average OCAUer, boils down to one of:

1) I like your old stuff better than your new stuff

2) I think that Microsoft only started invading my privacy with Win10, and didn't realise it happened 20 years ago.

Neither of those reasons are valid, but they're the only ones anyone's put forwards. Again, the industrial reasons appear elsewhere (we chat about those over in the enterprise threads from time to time). I'd be keen to know if there are legitimate cases outside of those.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
    NSanity likes this.
  5. millsy

millsy Member

Nah meant the former. I just come in here periodically to remind people there's valid technical reasons it's not as good as a more modern OS :)

I mean you don't even have to go full air gap, as long as you firewall / monitor it appropriately you can do a fair degree of risk mitigation!

6. metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

Well, whatever. Best of luck

7. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

While true, this is delving deep into "competent sysadmin" territory. Air-gap is clearly a pain in the arse, but the risk management effort is far lower.

Download what you need elsewhere, scan all removable media before migration, sneaker-net stuff to your host.

Again, this is how most folks in the retro forums deal with ye olde computers (whether they have native networking support or not). And Windows 7 now belongs there (as its both EOL and debuted more than 10 years ago, as per retro forum rules).

Hell, just today I fired up WSUS Offline in an attempt to get the last of the patches for Windows 7 to archive/slipstream into my retro ISO collection, and lo and behold I even needed to downgrade WSUS Offline to their older ESR release as it's stopped supporting Windows 7 too! Truly relegated to retro status at this point.

Turbine and millsy like this.