[WIN10] Gone back to WIN 7

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by Mathuisella, Apr 26, 2018.

?

All driver/game/compatability issues aside, which do you perfer 7 or 10

1. Windows 7

45.7%
  2. Windows 10

54.3%
  1. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I prefer Win 10. I don't mind Win7 but it's long in the tooth now, I along with many others, have moved on from 7.

2. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

There’s a perfectly logical reason for the way the start menu looks in Windows 10: it’s there to shove Windows Store apps in your face. Because MS doesn’t earn a cent if you use “legacy” (i.e. full-featured win32) programs in W10.

Same deal with the interface changes, they're designed to conform to the minimalist (de-featured, device-oriented, battery-saving) UWP environment of the Windows Store apps.

I reluctantly use Windows 10, because it does have some improvements over Windows 7 - but privacy issues aside, be prepared to put A LOT of time and effort into getting it to look and act like a proper desktop OS which is under your control, not Microsoft's.

3. Malakai

Malakai Member

It's not like DX12 is even a good reason for using Windows 10, literally every game runs better on DX11.

Having said that I prefer Windows 10 for work, it looks way more modern too with some high contrast theme tweaks.

4. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

Did you disable Defender? Did you turn off indexing? There could be many reasons they were randomly spinning up.

https://pxc-coding.com/donotspy10/ May help you out in the future..

5. OP
    OP
    Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

What i don't get is that i need to install 3rd party stuff to make windows actually usable, to keep my privacy, to keep it from raping my bandwidth at will. It just seems wrong, just wrong. I should be able to install windows, change a theme, move a few icons around and have compatibility with recent and future hardware and software.

6. pwlm1975

pwlm1975 Member

Windows 7 was no better or worse, nobody really cared, and it's not difficult to disable Cortana and her tentacles without the use of 3rd party software. If you want 100% privacy from Microsoft, use Linux.

For me Windows 7 was becoming bloated and slow, install size was huge, Windows 10 seems lighter, better outlaid (for my preference at least) and I've personally not had any issues with compatibility after about December 2015. I actually went back to 7 after the major balls-up with 10 a few years back, after 3 months and the furore died down I went back to 10 and haven't regretted it since.

As a disclaimer, I'm not a power user, I have a reasonable ability to use the DOS shell when necessary, my PC is used for a bit of everything and a lot of gaming.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  7. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

This is incorrect. Cortana is a core component of Windows 10 and cannot be totally disabled, at least not without using very advanced methods, and even then it can cause major problems. All you can do is “turn off” Cortana but it still runs in the background regardless.

We won’t get into the privacy issues, but there’s still the matter of reduced customisation options and Microsoft’s insistence on forced updates - in some cases disregarding your Windows Update settings.

frnak likes this.
  8. flu!d

flu!d Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

10 for the rare cases I need it to rectify an issue on a client's PC, Linux for absolutely everything else including gaming and the daily running of my business.

As time goes on there is no doubt that Windows 10 will slowly become more and more locked down as a method to connect to Microsoft's cloud, which makes MS far more money that their Windows division that was recently broken up with Windows put on life support.

9. Kung_F00L

Kung_F00L Member

The windows 10 "settings" pages are garbage. Give me the old control panel any day. Other than that i'm happy with windows 10.

....oh and the xbox app. What a piece of shit that is. Who ever designed that layout needs to lose their job.

everybodies likes this.
  10. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

Windows 10 is just as usable oob as 7 if not more than, you've had to slip stream NVMe drivers into your 7 wim which one could argue your usability point, the average user isn't going to do that. At home, I've just done a fresh 1709 install and all my current theme/start menu/ icons have come over from my last install, effectively I've just installed windows and done exactly what you've mentioned above, except I don't have a 13 year old printer (Though my 8 year old HP LaserJet works fine, its even picked up via Windows automatically) the only thing that I've done is turn off Cortana because its a complete waste of resources.

Essentially, if you're so worried about it you could do it all yourself, its just a bunch of registry keys (or if you're enterprise, GPO) . http://www.c-amie.co.uk/technical/windows-10-registry-privacy-paths/

I can't find anything on this, got a link?

It's not doubt that MS have a massive cloud focus https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-shines-in-q3-as-cloud-office-365-posts-strong-sales-gains/ but you still need something to connect to that with, so I can't see them putting it on life support.

11. flu!d

12. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

13. flu!d

Interpret it as you want. The fact is that in the not too distant future the last release of Windows as you know it is going to be nothing like it is now. I see paid subscriptions and a larger focus on more of a cloud based OS that's even more locked down than it is now.

- Office 365 = A profitable subscription based product that MS just crank the renewal price on as they wish.
    - Windows 10 EE = A mostly subscription based product.
    - MS cloud division now makes more profit for the company that their previously flagship Windows product.

I have no doubt that once subscription numbers are up regarding Windows 10 MS will begin making changes to it's licensing, as it is they regard Windows as more of a service than a product now. Luckily Windows 10 adoption is sluggish, for obvious reasons.

14. wwwww

wwwww Member

Power users do that? It's too inconsistent so you need to look at the screen to do it - one bad update and you could be searching for Network Connections in Bing.

The fastest way to use Windows is without needing to look at the screen, so the Start+Run then type what you want works best. In the old days you could do stuff like Start>P>A>N for Notepad, etc.

There seems to be a trend away from consistency though, even Google is randomisation the order of their Images/Maps/News links.

15. flu!d

The way Google keep changing the interface of their suite is a major PITA! Makes familiarization of the Gsuite administrator console very difficult.

16. OP
    OP
    Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

I had to put NVME drivers in with the iso image because i wanted a clean fresh installation the nvme drive i have. There are nvme win 7 drivers that one can use after installation of win7, but putting the install path onto the nvme drive requires the install disc/iso to have the drivers to see the nvme disc in the first place.
    A standard SSD will do for most people and a lot still use older 3.5" mechanical drives and aren't after the speed.

I hated the interface of 10, i hated the in your face ads and bloat of it, i hated m$ spying upon me, even when i used a third party program to shut off all the spying stuff, i guess M$ just updates it's spyware and the 3rd party people need to play catch up.... As well as M$ forcing updates, especially at the worst of times. It spins up my Mechanical storage drive at stupid times when i'm trying to sleep. Win7 doesn't do any of this. Easier to navigate, no ads in your face, everything has current drivers and works without M$ butting it's nose in whether it's to help or to spy upon you.

17. kombiman

kombiman Dis-Member

Didn't a win7 update include the tracking and reporting functions like win10? A reddit thread I read implied that this was the case.

18. power

power Member

it does have some telemetry now, yes.

19. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

I'm fully aware of how drivers work within Windows 7,what I was eluding to was the effort that it took to do that you could have just used 10 or 10 LTSB (Or even 8.1 to that effect).

I guess some people just don't like change.

Yep, I wouldn't be surprised if the list gets longer.

https://gist.github.com/xvitaly/eafa75ed2cb79b3bd4e9

20. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

The difference is that in Windows 7 you can remove the telemetry updates, but in Windows 10 it is much harder because of the way Windows Update works, plus some of it is embedded (e.g. Cortana as we talked about earlier).

Also, once you remove telemetry updates in Windows 7, you can avoid downloading them again because you have control over when and how your system updates; in Windows 10, MS can "sideload" updates now, directly installing them outside the Windows Update process, as they're currently doing with the infamous KB4023057 (i.e. the "we want you to be an unpaid beta tester by upgrading your existing build of Windows 10 to the latest version whether you want to or not" patch). This patch can install even if you disable Windows Update, and installs as a separate program outside of Windows Updates - it appears as two separate entries under Programs and Features.

To disable it you need to uninstall both entries, then run the old Hide Windows Updates Tool, select KB4023057, hide it - then repeat the process literally every week or so as Microsoft stealthily updates the patch, which then automatically bypasses the hide option until you uninstall and hide it again.

/EDIT: Forgot to add, once KB4023057 installs, it also automatically re-enables two of the major telemetry settings in Windows 10, and keeps re-enabling them even if you disable them (whether manually or with a tool like O&OShutup) each and every time you reboot.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018