[WIN10] Gone back to WIN 7

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by Mathuisella, Apr 26, 2018.

?

All driver/game/compatability issues aside, which do you perfer 7 or 10

1. Windows 7

44.9%
  2. Windows 10

55.1%
  1. pwlm1975

pwlm1975 Member

That is highly dependent on who was polled. 31 votes is hardly enough to be considered a representation of the full populous, its a very small percentage if OCAU members.

W10 has only just eked out W7 for most widely used OS, having said that it's only been a few years since it's release.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  2. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

"Connected User Experience and Telemetry" is enabled even at the highest level of privacy settings in Windows 10 and cannot be disabled under Windows 10 Home and Professional. That software application is snake oil.

3. OP
    OP
    Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

yep. Privacy is unattainable with Win10.

I just put on win2k onto a machine i have here at home and it's Fast, does what i need it to do and all is well.

frnak likes this.
  4. NSanity

NSanity Member

You say that, yet the Pentagon is using it. Completely unfounded bullshit.

Its obtainable, you just don't want to pay for it.

Any user can get Windows 10 Pro for Workstations - https://blogs.windows.com/business/...dows-10-pro-workstations/#7xQwHBvefAyJKri7.97 - you simply upgrade your microsoft account - done. Now every single Enterprise GPO works for you.

5. OP
    OP
    Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

I'm sure their version is quite different, and also if not they're only sending themselves their own data.... kind of like a backup without needing any other software :p

6. NSanity

NSanity Member

Its Enterprise w/ the completion of the Security Technical Implementation Guide.

7. OP
    OP
    Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

I wouldn't believe that the pentagon would openly display what they truly use and how they use it, sorry.

8. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

I'm not going to re-engage in the Windows 10 privacy debate here, but I can't resist adding some facts:

- fluid is correct in that you cannot disable all telemetry in the Home and Pro versions of Windows 10. Even the lowest level of telemetry, set via Group Policy, still says:

[​IMG]

So setting to 0 in Windows 10 Pro for example, or turning all telemetry "off" via a third party tool, is identical to setting it to 1, which results in "a very limited amount of diagnostic data" being sent according to Microsoft.

- O&OShutup is not exactly "snake oil", it's basically a compilation of existing Windows 10 privacy-related settings, normally accessible via the UI, Registry and Group Policy, presented in one place. In that sense it can be very useful, particularly to Windows 10 Home users who don't have access to Group Policy Editor. But O&OShutup needs to be used extremely carefully. Some of the settings you can alter will break necessary functionality, such as preventing security updates in Windows Update, or preventing DRM-protected media from playing on your system. The best use I've found for O&OShutup is to run it immediately after running Windows Update - it pops up a warning showing any privacy-related settings that have been re-enabled as a result of the updates. With one click you can reset them back to your preferred settings.

9. OP
    OP
    Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

10. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

You're apologising for posting a 2015 article which simply says what I just said? Hmmm.

Your Article:

I posted:

I'm not sure if you're reading what I'm posting.

11. Turbine

Turbine Member

Windows 7 users...in all honesty...how long are you going to hold out for?
    I can understand not wanting to upgrade to Vista or Windows 8.1 years back....but right now Windows 10 is your next Windows XP / Windows 7. It's going to be around for a while.

What will be your operating system in 2022?
    Will you be rocking the v1607 Anniversary build of Windows 10 because it's 'Faster and less telemetry than the current build'.

It's likely you will have to go to Windows10 at some point...what happens when you want to use some newer version of m.2 or thunderbolt that doesn't support Windows 7?

...Or...will you convert to ReactOS https://www.reactos.org/

12. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

Why does the OS have to be a Windows clone?

13. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

14. Turbine

Turbine Member

It doesn't have to be...I just assumed most people here play games on their computer and are in the 81% of users with Windows as their Desktop/Laptop operating system.

15. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

i no longer see games as a valid excuse to support capitalist manipulation. If people cared less about wasting PC resources on just games Nvidia wouldn't be leading them by the nose.

16. OP
    OP
    Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

I can watch video, write assignments, even use Matlab on windows 2000.

all websites work, SSD's work. i have PCIe slots working 100% and the OS is damn fast. and the drivers were all there for me to download and use without fuss.

17. NSanity

NSanity Member

Well you're wrong. ASD does the same - e.g Office 2016 - https://www.asd.gov.au/publications/protect/hardening-ms-office-2016.htm

Believe it or not - outlining how you harden your environment opens it up for peer review - which in turn gives you better feedback on doing it.

Before you keep sprouting bullshit, did you want to actually read the STIG and realise that on-top of maximum effort shiny side out - the OS is pretty much a pain in the ass to use as a result of their security controls?

Also realise that some people do this for a living.

I highlighted above that you can infact get yourself Pro for Workstations - https://blogs.windows.com/business/...dows-10-pro-workstations/#7xQwHBvefAyJKri7.97

[​IMG]

It has all the GPO switches that the Enterprise SKU does. In addition, you can subscribe to Windows 365 E3 (or Microsoft 365 E3) which entitles you to the enterprise features as well on a subscription basis - anyone can subscribe with a credit card.

millsy likes this.
  18. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

I don't need such products, I voted with my wallet.

Not a chance in hell I'm subscribing to any MS product and Windows Pro should have all the features of Windows Pro for Workstations instead of being a mildly better version of Windows 10 Home.

19. NSanity

NSanity Member

And you're free to do so. I'm happy that you can live on a desktop OS that isn't Windows - all the power to you. Literally *millions* if not *billions* can't - because to do the work they do, or to work in society with other businesses - they have to use Microsoft-based OS's.

So when you get every single app developer to somehow write a feature parity OSX/Linux/BSD/whatever version of every single app - then maintain it - just maybe we can have year of linux on the desktop.

But we're *actually* going to have Year of the Browser far sooner than that - because the market has spoken.

So now that i've finished my tangent, I can say that this was in response to;

Which is wrong. Like 99% of the bullshit floating about in this thread. I'd wager half the whiners are giving up far more info to Facebook and Google directly/indirectly than CIA, NSA and Microsoft combined.

Turbine likes this.
  20. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

Considering volume licensing or a subscription model, Windows 10 is not worth the hassle or the ongoing costs. So, once again, Windows 10 EE is unobtanium for the average consumer, which is Microsoft's intention.

My year of the Linux desktop was roughly six years ago and I have no doubt that ~75% of PC users could dump Windows in a heartbeat. Feature parity across platforms including Linux is no where near as bad as your assuming, very few people absolutely need MS Office, the worlds least compatible office suite, or Adobe products, which are vastly over rated.