[WIN10] Gone back to WIN 7

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by Mathuisella, Apr 26, 2018.

?

All driver/game/compatability issues aside, which do you perfer 7 or 10

1. Windows 7

45.8%
  2. Windows 10

54.2%
  1. NSanity

NSanity Member

You can buy it. Once. Forever. I literally posted a picture of Pro for Workstations.

Uh huh. Yep. and somehow that unnecessary, super expensive and awful software continues to destroy a completely free option that is 100% equivalent in every single aspect. Yep. This is precisely how the market works.

2. flu!d

flu!d Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

I did buy it, I bought Windows 10 Pro and used to be able to do quite a bit of what is now exclusively available under Windows 10 Pro for Workstations. Microsoft watered down my legitimately purchased product that I paid over $215.00 for and I am not prepared to go out and purchase an upgrade to what I already had. So, once again, Windows 10 is not worth the outlay when I can get everything I want, and so can many others, for free.

Windows popularity is 100% the fact that it's literally force installed on every brand name and OEM device sold, that's got nothing to do with the fact that it's in any way a great OS - On the contrary, as another on these forums so accurately put it, that makes Windows the McDonalds of operating systems.

The concept of a market is the very issue here. I've come to the realization that I'm more than a tax paying cash cow of a consumer.

3. OP
    OP
    Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

Sorry, but i will just not believe that the cia/fbi/dod and all those people and more who have offices in the pentagon openly give out what computer operating specifications they use. Likely they're saying what ' sort' or something along the same lines that's half way believable to throw people off as to what they're really using.

4. NSanity

NSanity Member

Please provide evidence to support your position.

I've deployed SOE's for Organisations that have strict ASD requirements.

For the record - Win 10/Server 2016 when hardened correctly is pretty damned hard to beat security wise.

Turbine likes this.
  5. Turbine

Turbine Member

I hope you donate to open source projects at least.

6. NSanity

NSanity Member

So.

1. I can order Dell with Ubuntu.
    2. Somehow Free still can't beat paid.

Jeez i wonder if there is maybe something else... Can't put my finger on it... Could it be that FOSS isn't 100% equivalent to paid software in every aspect?

No, its the market that is corrupt and wrong. :rolleyes:

metamorphosis likes this.
  7. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

I'm still on Win7 for my home pc, only because I've been using the same install since 2013 and am very familiar with it, no incentive for me to upgrade/migrate anytime soon. The free upgrade migration to Win10 2.5 years ago left some of my test systems a mess with driver compatibility issues and such, I think it is still premature in terms of device/driver/compatibility wise, but otherwise where something is fully supported it boots faster and is more responsive compared to Win7 on the same system with an SSD. The security level is also a notch better compared to Win7.

8. flu!d

Last I checked, only if you have a reseller account with Dell and only if you buy a top of the line Precision laptop. You cannot buy the XPS Developer Editions in AU. In order to get a reseller account with Dell they will want to know what you had for breakfast and then some, it's not something the average consumer is going to do.

And besides, one laptop with Ubuntu as an option to the OS force installed by default, are you serious?

Depends on whether you class an office suite that can't conform to the open ISO standards of docx and xlsx as better. Because every other office suite can conform to such standards designed to allow for 100% compatibility across platforms just fine with the exception of Microsoft Office - The worlds least compatible office suite marketed to the foolish as the worlds most compatible office suite.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  9. Kafoopsy

Kafoopsy Member

That was an awesome post and sums up exactly my thoughts about Windows. I use Windows 7 on my home PC and I will hold out against changing (I refuse to use the word 'upgrade') to Windows 10 as long as I can get away with it (I used Windows 98 till late 2009). My other pc has Windows 8 and I spent hours configuring it to make it look and act like Windows XP.

The main problems I have is much the same as everyone else has - it is getting harder and harder to make it do what I want it to do. I shouldn't have to google how to change settings in Windows 10 - like I did to change the two finger scroll direction. The network connection settings are hopeless. Too many different control dialogs. All network settings should be in just one window. And when a wireless connection fails, it just says 'Can't connect to this network' That is a pointless message - why can't you connect to the network? What went wrong? How do I diagnose a problem if you won't tell me what went wrong?

Another big problem I have is that Windows 8 and Windows 10 are so two dimensional. Gone are the nice 3D windows and buttons - everything is all on one plane - like Windows 2.0! And also gone are the classic mode and pretty much all the interface settings. You choose a background picture and a theme colour and that is it!

10. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

Damnit I didn't want to post here.

https://www.asd.gov.au/infosec/epl/index.php
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evaluation_Assurance_Level
    https://www.commoncriteriaportal.org/products/

Believe what you want, it does not make it true. They don't release their hardening guidelines for the lols, and they don't spend a fortune on testing stuff for a laugh. Contrary to what would seem to be popular belief, closed off standards and security through obscurity are not an improvement. Not to say that many eyes make it better, but if the manner in which you configure your environment will screw you if leaked, you probably haven't got a good standard configuration. Nobody says even they are following everything they prescribe, they definitely don't state their compliance to it, but they're not gonna release deliberately insecure standards for review, there's too many people to call them out on it.

Surely you jest, saying the security level is a notch better than Windows 7 is absolute crap, see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi.../overview-of-threat-mitigations-in-windows-10 for a high level overview. If nothing else Device Guard + better security models make the OS way more secure, even to the extent of mitigating the risk of known weaknesses in code. If you're dealing with compatibility issues going 7>10 you're dealing with some very poor software. The last major kernel change that broke a *lot* of stuff was XP > Vista, anything after that is just sloppy code. Maybe you need said sloppy code, if so so be it, but that's not win10 specific.

I mean the counter argument is the FOSS alternatives aren't fully compatible with the worlds most commonly used office suite format ;)

Suggest all the people freaking over telemetry read this:
    https://www.usenix.org/system/files/1401_08-12_mickens.pdf

You're freaking out over the mossad, when the real life threat to your privacy and collection of personal data are frequently used with the implicit acceptance your personal data is for sale to the right bidder (social media, google et all). If you're that concerned, you have better, more practical battles to fight IMO.

11. flu!d

The fact that you can transfer docx and xlsx files between WPS Office and Libre Office just fine but everything turns to shit the second Microsoft Office is included suggests that it's Microsoft Office that's at fault. You also have the well known fact that when the ISO standards for docx and xlsx were implemented, MS used their corporate muscle to split the standard into two parts, solely for the benefit of Microsoft.

I'm sorry, you're being duped.

Spying at OS level with no realistic way to opt out is unacceptable, it's that simple. No OS should spy on it's users - None.

Last edited: May 1, 2018
  12. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

Which always comes back to the point as to what PII is being sent with the telemetry. My grievance with it was that whilst currently innocuous, the wording I didn't feel was specific enough to exclude very personal stuff being sent.

You may have missed the heavy sarcasm in my point about it :)

flu!d likes this.
  13. flu!d

Fair enough, my bad. ;)

14. Turbine

Turbine Member

Sounds like a hard life.

The only time I've ever come across an open source word processor was being forced to submit assignments in OpenOffice format by one lecturer at Uni.
    ...you can beat the drum on standards all day but the herd have spoken.

15. flu!d

I believe if the heard had a say Microsoft's deliberate sabotaging of open ISO standards wouldn't be an issue.

16. NSanity

NSanity Member

let me introduce you to a feature;

[​IMG]

This has existed (in some shape or form) since like... 2010 SP1?

17. flu!d

History lesson:

http://techrights.org/2014/08/02/ooxml-strict-and-transitional/

To quote the article:

In short, from the onset Microsoft have worked to sabotage OOXML for the benefit of Microsoft - As always. The worlds least compatible office suite marketed as the worlds most compatible office suite.

18. broccoli

broccoli Member

Why? If newer hardware 'requires' it, you can just stick with older hardware until it dies.

19. OP
    OP
    Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

20. millsy_c

millsy_c Member