[WIN10] Gone back to WIN 7

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by Mathuisella, Apr 26, 2018.

?

All driver/game/compatability issues aside, which do you perfer 7 or 10

1. Windows 7

44.7%
  2. Windows 10

55.3%
  1. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

The whole problem I have with your stance, is you're assuming that if it wasn't a double extension people wouldn't run it anyway, and the reality just doesn't back up that perspective one iota. People still run shitware without double extensions, even on android.
    https://www.zdnet.com/article/sms-android-malware-roots-and-hijacks-your-device/

RE .exe represented as a PDF, it's entirely dependent on how the OS is setup, the default stance is to not show extensions for known file types so lusers don't get confused. This has the side effect of meaning that bad.pdf.exe is rendered by default as bad.pdf. For me it's something I change, but I don't consider my behavior to be representative of an average user. Should windows be more fussy about how it renders files, shit yeah. Would it change anything, nope.

I wholeheartedly disagree that double extensions or even a locked app store are gonna really change much. People still send money to nigerian scammers, people still fall for telephone calls to hijack their details. Social engineering works because they know their market. Double extensions are such an insignificant part of the whole puzzle it's absolutely downright baffling to me why you're so focused on that particular thing.

2. flu!d

flu!d Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

You're missing the point.

You can argue all you want about how well Windows 10 is resolving these issues and how the problem is with the end user, I've provided statistics showing that this is not the case and the worlds most popular OS does not suffer from infection issues in any even remotely significant number in comparison to Windows - The problems, in direct comparison to Windows, do not exist even where people can run shit ware under Android.

Double file extensions should have been eliminated back with Windows 2000, it's one of the most popular exploits used to launch cryptolocker trojans and they're a major issue under Windows. If you think for one second that you're simply too smart to be fooled by clever social engineering, think again - No one's guard is up 100%, 100% of the time. Everyone suffers moments of weakness.

Windows is not a secure operating system out of the box and it is difficult to make it a secure operating system due to the need for a great many applications to still require an administrator account to even run not to mention the method used to download and install software.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  3. flu!d

Geezus.

We've got an OS that suffers major NUMA issues in a world where integrated memory controllers and multi cores are now the norm, we've got an OS that's literally infested and updates aren't slowing the issue, we've got an OS that spies out the box on it's users, we've got an OS that's stripping the end user of control with a terrible UI and still you stand there and blindly defend this operating system because 'games'!

Wow. Simply wow.

4. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

I'm not missing the point one bit, to quote my earlier post "Should windows be more fussy about how it renders files, shit yeah". I don't disagree for a second it's not a good way of doing things. Fixing it just won't change much at all (well I said above "the reality just doesn't back up that perspective one iota"), you and I clearly disagree there. Double extensions help social engineering, no doubt about it. Would fixing it stop things? Nope, people still gonna be people.

You're arguing till you're blue in the face that a bandaid (addressing double extensions) is somehow going to make a meaningful difference to things. It won't. It just won't, sorry.

Macros in Word? Now that's a totally different kettle of fish.

Nothing to do with comparing windows 7 and 10 hey.

Now, this is my last comment on the topic of malware and social engineering in this thread, happy to pick it up in another if you so desire, feel free to tag me in it :)

5. Zenskas

Zenskas Member

Wow indeed. You are one of the most critical members of this community within the Windows section. I don't feel too invited to the community when every second post is a reference to either how bad Windows is, how Windows users mostly suck, how much better Linux/Android/anythingbutwindows is etc etc etc. Can we get back on the topic or does a moderator have to tell us to do so? Oh wait you are a moderator aren't you? Geezus.

On topic edit, without double posting;

I can confirm the Win 10 install from a 7 key still works and activates fine without doing anything dubious at all. Last weekend I put together a fully custom built Z68 based system using a motherboard that has never had a Windows license associated to it.
    Installed Win 10 1809 off USB drive, chucked in a spare retail Win 7 Home Premium key during install, finished installing and Windows was automatically activated with a digital licence :D The user about to use this computer has come off an older Windows 7 machine only now after using it for the past 8 years! Will be interesting to see how he gets on but I think he will be fine.

Disclaimer to avoid OT discussion: the new system is used primarily and often for one purpose, and that purpose does not work properly on a PC with any other operating system out there but Windows.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  6. shredder

shredder Member

Several weeks back I tried a spare OEM 7 key to activate a fresh install of 10, and it didn't take. Hardware changes may have been involved since the OEM key was last used on the machine.

However I could easily use the key to activate a fresh install of 7 if I wanted, even if a phone code were needed (after which point, perhaps the key would've started being accepted as valid in 10 activation).

So I assume there are still other conditions involved in the 10 activation check - it's not simply 'any valid Win 7 key at all will definitely always work'.

Just a minor caveat for applicable users.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  7. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

I'm in the process of finishing off my new system. I clean installed Windows 10 Pro on it yesterday using a USB stick which had the latest ISO via the official media creation tool. I entered a valid Windows 7 Pro retail key at the start of the install. It was accepted, but I wasn't connected to the Internet, so it didn't activate straight away. Once I finished the install, had all my drivers and settings the way I wanted them, i installed my WiFi card and connected to the Internet, and Windows 10 Pro activated without any problems, then pulled a few updates via Windows Updates and was done. No need to go through any upgrade loopholes; MS has basically left it wide open for all but possibly OEM keys as Shredder says.

8. flu!d

I've had a number of OEM keys that won't activate Windows 10.

It seems that vendor supplied OEM keys work fine (keys supplied by the likes of Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc), but retail bought OEM keys don't always work - In fact most of the time they fail.

Actual retail keys, naturally, work fine.

9. metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

I haven't had any problem with OEM's, provided that they were used on the actual machine in question.

10. Statitica

Statitica Member

Extracted a key with magic jelly bean, and that key didn't work for win 10.

Used a Windows 7 key on the OEM sticker on the case, and that worked just fine.

Looks like hit and miss.

11. shredder

shredder Member

I assume the failures would involve OEM keys that are under certain circumstances (e.g. does not have correct 7 activation status on that machine, and/or OEM key was last activated in 7 on a different hardware config).

12. Turbine

Turbine Member

How is this thread still going?

2028. 'Gone back to W10 v1607 cos betrrr'

13. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

If you use magic jellybean etc. just make sure you're not extracting one of those 'faux' upgrade keys that are just a blank one lol

14. d1ng0d4n

d1ng0d4n Member

15. power

power Member

16. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

Every key I've pulled with

wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey

Has worked 100% of the time on another machine....

And in 2028 people will still be saying "MIRCOSERFT SPY ON MUH DAATTAA"

17. metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

18. flu!d

Well, logic dictates that if they're doing it in 2019...Assuming Windows as you know it even exists in 2028, which I doubt, they'll be doing the exact same thing except worse.

It's called 'Capitalism'.

19. Statitica

Statitica Member

While you and I agree on the shoddiness of the practice, I disagree with your definition of capitalism, and believe you are using a form of "post hoc ergo proctor hoc" in stating that "because capitalism", this happens.

There are potential versions of capitalism in which this doesn't happen.

/Pedantic semantics

'twas a great feeling of relief to land myself back on manjaro, with an xfce flavouring this time...

20. metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

Hooray XFCE! The only sensible linux interface.