[WIN10] Gone back to WIN 7

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by Mathuisella, Apr 26, 2018.

?

All driver/game/compatability issues aside, which do you perfer 7 or 10

1. Windows 7

45.8%
  2. Windows 10

54.2%
  1. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

This was one of Microsoft's responses to regulatory concerns, particularly in Europe, regarding privacy in Windows 10. Two new privacy options and a Diagnostic Data Viewer have been added in Version 1803. However, the Diagnostic Data Viewer has been criticised for being virually incomprehensible:

I don't have 1803 installed to test the tool, but if anyone has tested it perhaps they can confirm if this is the case.

2. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

I'm confused, people whinged about not being able to see it, now they can see it, they're mad that the data is actually pretty heavily obfuscated to begin with?

Lols

*edit* Because I know someone will go 'hurr it's MS trying to steal mah dataz', you're gonna have to encode shit to send it otherwise you're in for a world of pain. Could they be a bit less obtuse about it, sure. But people wanted to see what their machines sent, now they can.

Unsurprisingly it's not very readable. Shock gasp.

Last edited: May 3, 2018
  3. broccoli

broccoli Member

fja;lkghalkgh;awieiy

4. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

I'm not sure why you're confused. The complaint from many users was - and is - that Microsoft needs to be more transparent as to what data they send from our systems. Transparency involves some level of clarity. Setting aside any allegations that the Diagnostic Data Viewer only shows the subset which MS considers "diagnostic data", and not the full set of data transmitted, it doesn't appear to be particularly transparent even in that capacity.

Again, if anyone has used the new Data Viewer, I'd be interested to hear what they think - does it have any practical purpose?

O-B-E-L-I-X and broccoli like this.
  5. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

I could use that 1gb for setting aside disk space for updates :p

6. OP
    OP
    Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

7. flu!d

flu!d Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

They can have my data, they can pay me for it though...

8. OP
    OP
    Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

My data and privacy is not willingly for sale, trade or gift.

flu!d likes this.
  9. flu!d

You won't get an argument out of me, I stopped using Windows years ago and don't miss it one bit.

10. ibace

ibace Member

I got so sick and tired of constant lock-ups and error messages about inadequate system ram [with 64GB DDR4] that it did get the better of me...and I went back to WIn 7 Pro...but I could only put up with it for a few days...not the Win 7 - but the constant and nagging M/S warnings about my CPU [i7 7700K Kaby Lake] not being suitable for use on such an old Operating System, and there being no further Security updates available...so I did the next best thing...traded backwards to an i7 6700K and then went about installing Windows 8.1.
    Been running this for several months now..and as you'd expect; no issues at all...and not once with either the Win 7 Pro or the Win 8.1 have I had to put up with a system lock-up...nor a single warning about inadequate system ram...you would think with all the practice they've had at it; that M/S would be able to provide an Operating System that was an actual upgrade from the previous version...and something that their subscribers actually endorsed as being a worthwhile upgrade.

11. OP
    OP
    Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

I bought a 6700k just for this reason, no real improvement from 6th to 7th gen. I don't have issues with win7 now with it.

I honestly would be happy with a 64bit version of win2k, stable, light and quick. simple and effective

https://www.techrepublic.com/blog/classics-rock/windows-2000-pro-microsofts-best-desktop-os-ever/

12. GenoCyber

GenoCyber Member

Mathuisella, I agree with your sentiment in that my personal data is private and is not for sale, trade or gift.

This is one reason why I will remain on Windows 7 for my personal desktop computer and secondly Windows 10 GUI is rubbish.

13. NSanity

NSanity Member

This is something wrong with your machine...

upload_2018-5-4_7-48-23.png

Yet you browse the internet... Giving it away, every. single. day. On a public forum that is indexed by Google.

I've not actually had any problems doing this - and have used GPO to set OOXML Strict on 2010 and 2013 in places previously in work settings. YMMV.

I've not done it in 2016/Click-to-Run versions though.

No I'm mad and just want to complain. I can't even point to a single incident when my data has been used for anything ever - let alone leaked - but i'm going to have a royal sook about it on a public forum that is indexed by Google, Bing and anyone else that is unfortunate enough to be in ear-shot..

Last edited: May 4, 2018
  14. broccoli

broccoli Member

It's taken. There's a big difference. And there's also a big difference in tracking what websites you visit and tracking everything you do on your own computer.

PersianImmortal likes this.
  15. NSanity

NSanity Member

No. Not really. Its all telemetry. Its how you're using things and what you're using them with.

And yes. You're giving it - if you don't want to, log off.

If you had ANY basic idea how the web works, you'd realise that to DELIVER the web to you, you have to tell the web who you are, what browser you're using, what os you're using etc... You can obfuscate that somewhat, but the webserver is going to ask your browser questions to deliver you a webpage whether you like it or not.

16. broccoli

broccoli Member

Oh, ok, so if I come to your house, grab you and put a knife to your throat, you are "giving" me your money? No, I'm taking it. And there is a HUGE difference. It's fine though, if you don't want your throat cut, just hand it over.
    There is a difference between tracking what websites you visit and tracking all of your use of a personal computer.
    Another hyperbolic example: You put your bin out once a week, I can open the lid and find out that you eat lean cuisines and a lot of Smiths crisps. Compare that to me coming into your house, and going through all of your cupboards to determine that you've got piles, you have a collection of S&M gear in your basement, you like fat women in negligees to get your rocks off and that you're being chased by the ATO....
    If you don't like it, burn your house down and don't live anywhere. Big rolling eye smiley.

17. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

I have to ask: how exactly does the "way the web work" (i.e., transmitting IP address, user agent string, etc.) equate to the same thing as your operating system capturing (even when offline), storing, and subsequently transmitting all of your text and voice input to Microsoft by default for example? Are the risks of the first set of data being intercepted by a third party equivalent to the risks of the second set of data being intercepted?

18. NSanity

NSanity Member

Turn off Cortana? Its literally an option on install.

Its the same thing. They are using generalised regional data to improve speech and handwriting recognition. If you've had *anything* to do with either in the last 20 years - you'd know that if your sample size is 1+their code - the experience sucks donkey nuts. Voice Recognition is only "usable" now because of the cloud.

Can you please point to an instance where you without a doubt certain that your identifiable data has been used, anywhere?

Or that prior to MS providing you with the data that is being used, that you feel can directly identify you in particular?

Yeah whatever. Stop using computers if you feel that strongly about it.

2SHY likes this.
  19. flu!d

So you've authored complex documents under WPS Office or Libre Office in either docx of xlsx and tried to open them under MS Office?

There's a big difference between personal metadata extracted directly off your PC and postings in a public forum using an alias. Spying at OS level is never acceptable. Advertising within the OS itself, even if it can be disabled to a degree, is never acceptable. Questioning one's choices regarding the use of third party non MS applications is never acceptable. Underhanded manipulation when installing the OS in an attempt to lock the unsuspecting user into a Microsoft account is never acceptable and the updater is complete garbage - Defiantly not acceptable.

Removing features from the OS and then attempting to sell them back to you as a 'license upgrade' = Never acceptable.

It's one thing to question bullshit, but you're going beyond that - You're actively defending MS. In itself mindboggling considering that don't give two craps about you as a consumer.

20. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

IMO the biggest cock up MS had was trying to be open about what was collected and how it was used.

Almost every big omg my dataz controversy in recent times has been about people realising wtf was actually happening.

Of course if you use cortana to give you mail updates it's gonna send you mail data to MS, how the fuck else would it work? lol