[WIN10] Gone back to WIN 7

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by Mathuisella, Apr 26, 2018.

?

All driver/game/compatability issues aside, which do you perfer 7 or 10

1. Windows 7

45.1%
  2. Windows 10

54.9%
  1. NSanity

NSanity Member

I've deployed GPO to enforce saving defaults in Office to use OOXML Strict so that compatibility is maintained between OpenOffice (that was the other platform at the time). It worked in my basic test cases, and the 2-3 *nix users that demanded it never hassled me about it from a support perspective.

Telemetry is not spying. And no, that is not semantics. Spying would be reporting directly to the NSA/CIA/Whatever that you run a drug ring.

To you. Millions of people didn't pay for an upgrade to 10. If you don't pay for something, typically you're the product.

I still haven't seen what anyone cares about personally - and only keyboard warriors bring it up to me. I support 1000's of users across different companies and different verticals - precisely ZERO people have engaged me professionally in anyway about advertising in their desktop causing a concern.

2. rainwulf

rainwulf Member

Question, why was the GUI invented?

3. power

power Member

for the weak and pathetic!

4. rainwulf

rainwulf Member

ok.... I dare you to do your entire days work in a full screen command window.

5. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

I guess Office really isn't necessary then? However I think you'll find that going from OOXML to MS Office, strict mode or not, will be a different scenario. Hell, compatibility isn't guaranteed between differing versions of MS Office itself.

Except this isn't plain telemetry, this is by Microsoft's own terms a 'Connected User Experience' that cannot be fully disabled under Windows 10 Home or watered down Pro.

And millions of people did pay for Windows 10, whether that be an outright retail purchase or a license included with an OEM product. Spying at OS level when you cannot totally opt out is unacceptable, it's that simple. My personal information is not shared with anyone without my approval, EULA that I cannot opt out of if I want to use the OS or not.

6. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

Under Linux you do if you're SSH'd into a server. A far more efficient way of administering a server.

7. rainwulf

rainwulf Member

Who said administering a server in a thread about windows 7?

Turbine likes this.
  8. yxalitis

yxalitis Member

I'll admit to not having gone through every page, but in case no one has mentioned it...
    Classic Shell allows you to get the best start menu with Windows 10.
    That solved all my issues with Windows 10.

9. PersianImmortal

PersianImmortal Member

As covered earlier, Cortana cannot be fully disabled - it is always running in the background even if you explicitly turn it off and never use it. And the fact that all of the privacy-invasive options are enabled by default is a source of concern given less tech-savvy users may never find and disable them all; indeed some require Group Policy or Registry editing. Which is largely by design.

It’s precisely because Microsoft has been so deliberately opaque about what exactly is being captured and why that neither you nor I can say anything regarding the telemetry “without a doubt”. Given Microsoft’s recent behaviour in literally tricking/forcing unwitting users into upgrading to Windows 10, I’m not inclined to just give them the benefit of the doubt.

flu!d likes this.
  10. broccoli

broccoli Member

Seriously? :D

flu!d likes this.
  11. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

Ok...it'll be like every other day of the week...

flu!d likes this.
  12. power

power Member

but i'm weak and pathetic?

flu!d likes this.
  13. Reaper

Reaper Member

Didn't go back to 7, never went to 10. Just sitting on 8.1. Best compromise. I have it how I want, desktop, etc and no third party bullshit. The only start menu I need is to right click the knocked over garbage can icon, and 99% of the time it's just to go to control panel. Left click takes me to a full screen apps list. I don't use the full screen start at all.

14. rainwulf

rainwulf Member

who said that?

Just because you do your work in a console doesn't not 1: make the GUI any less useful ,and 2: doesnt make the terminal/console superior.

Anecdotes!= evidence.

I like single clicking on a program and having it open. Its convenient.

Doesn't make MY way any less or more appropriate for anyone else, but I don't hold that against them, and i also hold 20 years of ergonomic research (that microsoft both pioneered, and then totally fucking ignored in windows 8 and 10) actually has something behind it.

Anyway, back on the windows 10/7 bandwagon:

A user interface is like a joke, if you have to explain it, its shit.

Microsoft spent 20 years educating people about right click context, program flow, continuity, context switching and work flow, then decided in windows 8 and to a lesser extent 10 should totally fuck people over. I mean seriously, the get windows 10 app decide that CLOSE MEANT ACCEPT THE UPGRADE. That's pretty fucking awful. Windows 8 had the entire screen dissappear on you if you flicked the mouse to the right. Oh and decided that close buttons where no longer needed? what the fuck... Then windows 10 preview came along and started of really good.. but then release time:

If i sat you in front of a windows 7 machine 5 years ago and said to you:

"Oh by the way there is something wrong with my os. Its popping up ads, installing games that i dont want, keeps notifying me that nothing is wrong and that everything is ok, telling me i should use different browsers, keeps asking me if i want to recommend the program to another person, and sending my search history to a third party site, and even if i tell it i dont want to reboot right now because im working, it does it anyway? oh and when i turn it on, sometimes i spends 30 minutes applying something?, oh and right clicking doesnt work half the time and either shows me nothing, or only 1 or 2 entries"

what would you think?

I would think "oh this machine is hijacked to the buggery, time to wipe and start from scratch.

Now? Its normal. That's how far windows 10 has slunk. Its literally the opposite of proper GUI design. Massive difference in font sizes, colours, right click on one places gives you an entirely different colour and font to other places, thats if right click even WORKS.

HUGE amounts of whitespace. total waste of pixels especially on laptops that use the shitty 1366x768 lcd screens where you have to scroll never every windows 10 settings screen. Why is 14 point font banned at microsoft? Why are there inches between icons in the settings menu?

Windows 10 is no longer an OS, its a content delivery and information harvesting OS. THis push towards windows apps, and microsoft pushing windows 10 S which is unable to run windows programs.

Yes, windows that cant run windows programs.

Microsoft is trying to turn windows into the walled garden of IOS, you can only download "approved" apps, run "approved" software.

Funnily enough, that then gives microsoft the ability to sell the feature that their os helps prevent piracy! They can sell the feature that you can turn your (their) computer on one day and there will be new software on the start menu, and you can do absolutely nothing about it, as more and more of the OS is locked away from even the administrator.

Try turning of windows defender from the settings menu. "You can turn it off but we will turn it on a bit later"
    In other words "you the user are a dickhead, and we will do what we want, what are you going to do about it? go somewhere else?"

Here is an experiment, go to services.msc on windows 10 and try stopping windows defender. You cant. You are the administrator. No, you arent anymore. Its microsoft's os, on microsofts domain. Why do you think they are pushing "online" accounts?

For convenience? bullshit. Your account is on their domain now. onmicrosoft.com.

They now push using dark patterns the browser you use, the apps you use, they provide the inability to disable ads in a paid for OS. Why? is that to help the user? of course not.

Not ONE single decision microsoft has made in the last 20 years was ever to help the user.

Take a good long hard cynical look at windows 10 and the path they took.

Large simple fonts, "babies first os", locked up apps, the store, online accounts, ads, unstoppable updates, dark patterns, constant barrage of features and settings that you cant either change, or if you do, suddenly get reset during the next update, forcing people to just not bother anymore, because the water in the pot is starting to get hot, and the frogs have no fucking idea.

You get people in this thread justifying microsofts actions because "Everyone has fast internet anyway so what does it matter."

It always fucking matters when your bought for hardware is out of your control, downloading things you dont want, uploading your search requests to microsofts servers and fucking serving you ads that you 1, didnt want, and 2, microsoft get paid for!

candy crush saga on a "professional" machine?

Why the fuck would i go out and spend 250 bucks on a professional OS to install on a 55 thousand dollar cad machine to get CANDY CRUSH SAGA?
    Isnt that why i paid money? People say "oh get the enterprise edition blah blah"
    yes.. you dont buy it. You rent it.

Its funny how microsoft made a product so shit that the only solution involves sending them money on a monthly basis to prevent it from happening? I wonder if that was an accident......or even legal. Isnt that extortion? " pay us money or we make your OS full of ads and programs, and act like its infected with viruses and pop up ads"

Lets see microsoft's reasoning:

"lets make a good product. "

"ok now, make that good product suck, and then offer an alternative that you cant actually buy, but can only rent."

"YES!!!"

Its like getting ads on cable. Cable tv was originally advertised as "ad free" because you are now paying for it.

Now? there are ads. SO... what the fuck are you paying for?

Last edited: May 4, 2018
  15. millsy_c

millsy_c Member

Yeah but see, mine does none of that ad spamming, installing games horseshit and I've done nothing other than turn off telemetry.

Maybe because I use a local account? Dunno, but I genuinely don't get those issues and have NFI what the reason is for others having it. IF I had to use an MS account to authenticate, you'd see me on the rage train

16. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

I don't see how you can't have experienced such issues, every time there's a major update the ad spamming, Candy Crush, Fast Startup crap is all back again!

17. broccoli

broccoli Member

What you need to do is stop using computers. :D

18. rainwulf

rainwulf Member

Yea i dont see how. I used a local account on the brand new latest april update inside a VM so i can see what the changes are, and 5 minutes later, up comes the games, candy crush, some empires game, some disney bullshit.

19. metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

That'll be a sad day. It's faster, for me at least, to operate with the mouse rather than remembering All The Commands. Particularly the way Powershell does it, which is incredibly verbose by comparison with batch shell.

Objectively, and from a GUI design perspective, flat look is a black plague on user design thinking. It doesn't matter whether it looks great - it fails to provide any visual affordances for What THings Are, and that's wrong. Also the autohiding of scrollbars... awful.

I talked to malwarebytes about this, complaining about how the forced upgrade thing was basically malware and employing malware tactics as noted, and they agreed. But they couldn't do anything about it. Because the hand that feeds you...

PersianImmortal and O-B-E-L-I-X like this.
  20. NSanity

NSanity Member

So no?

right. Gotchya.

Over a billion users - no-one has managed to do it.