[WIN10] Gone back to WIN 7

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by Mathuisella, Apr 26, 2018.

?

All driver/game/compatability issues aside, which do you perfer 7 or 10

1. Windows 7

45.1%
  2. Windows 10

54.9%
  1. OP
    OP
    Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

except for when you have a half million dollar 5 axis cnc that uses a winxp only compatable software. Think about it, win 7 was out in 2009, but didn't have much in software developed for it for a couple of years, so it's very feasable that a company got a new cnc machine in say 2010-2011 that uses winxp and that's not such an old machine to be replaced.

2. power

power Member

we just dropped $X on an upgrade for two CNC machines, all through the life of Win7 we ran off a VM of XP.

tldr, upgrade your shit.

3. OP
    OP
    Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

If it isn't broken don't fix it...

if it works fine, why mess with it ? all it does is create problems that didn't exist.

4. power

power Member

but it is broken.

5. OP
    OP
    Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

why is it broken, if your program runs, os isn't crashing and your blocks of aluminium are coming out as expected off of the mill....

6. power

power Member

enjoy your legacy hardware.

7. tensop

tensop Member

stuff dual booting, inconvenient pain in the ass...

8. power

power Member

but two physical boxen is?

Perko likes this.
  9. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Not at all, very easy to set up, everything is done for you....and simply selection menu upon boot once it's all installed.

10. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Riiiight. So when people talk about Linux desktops and get laughed out of the discussion for being a too-small a use case, the counter-argument is a device that has maybe 1/100th the market share yet again?

I'm pragmatic enough to understand there are edge cases and exceptions to every rule. Don't make policy based on exceptions. If you want to keep your vendor-locked, one-off bit of kit on WinXP, fine - that's what we call economic sense (and I'd assume you'd put adequate effort into protecting it in other ways, because it can't be patched). Don't then use that as an excuse to keep the rest of your business fleet desktops/servers/whatever on outdated, unpatched software.

I too have devices in my network that can't get patched. We document them on a thing called an exceptions register (this then goes towards our risk analysis and is a part of our security auditing, to be costed and reconsidered every year). In total, there are maybe 6 systems (possibly fewer, as some have been decommissioned) out of thousands in our network that are stuck on old OSes. But our policy is to never roll out software that isn't under support, and can't be patched, regardless if there's that one shitty machine in the corner that can't be upgraded.

And, by the way, your home file server and your home desktop ARE NOT exceptions. Like old mate above who lost TBs of personal data on his XP box. What he is, is a warning for everyone else to

Last edited: May 20, 2019
    millsy likes this.
  11. tensop

tensop Member

oh i know, still inconvenient :)
    im lazy, ill spend 20 hours getting something working to save 1 minute a day

12. BAK

BAK Member

disparate
    /ˈdɪsp(ə)rət/
    adjective
    1. essentially different in kind; not able to be compared.
    2. markedly distinct in quality or character

elvis likes this.
  13. elvis

I was praying the other bloke was joking.

2019 on the Internet, and I can no longer discern satire from genuine ignorance.

BAK likes this.
  14. Statitica

Statitica Member

Working on it now, but being abstracted from the process (as I need to manage a bunch of other stuff) is proving a challenge. The most reliable IT company in town does Linux, but won't do it for end users as they reckon it is too hard to learn.

But I don't particularly want to roll over to win 10 and have multiple machines pulling down updates on a high cost data connection.

15. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

You are aware XP went out of mainstream support in 09? Which any vendor worth their weight would be aware of. Sounds more like a shitty vendor with an outdated product to me.

Wut?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...t-started/windows-server-update-services-wsus

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/update/waas-manage-updates-wufb

16. power

power Member

i get where he's coming from, we put it off too - but eventually we just bit the bullet and updated the hw controller so it can talk to newer operating systems.

17. Statitica

Statitica Member

18. elvis

Possibly a discussion for another thread, but I'm familiar with your requirements based on what you've posted on these forums in the past. What I'm not sure of is if you have AD/GPO or not?

All the same, with a combination of firewalling at your router (blocking access to Microsoft's update servers) and nightly scheduled jobs to enforce policies to stop BITS talking to the Internet, are you able to control updates that way, rather than relying on a service being turned on per client?

BITS between systems should help you, as Windows 10 machines can assist with updates within the network, once a single system is updated, and allow them to do so (at least in part for smaller updates) without talking to the Internet.

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  19. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

Nup, that's a load of crap. For the most part, I design and implement Windows 10 for a living. I have control of my fleet/s, If you're having issues with Windows updates you're doing something wrong.

20. Statitica

Statitica Member

It's doable, I'll concede that point.

Now the issue I foresee is getting funds released to pay for a competent party to take care of all of that.

As for AD/GPO, no... What we have is not even close. If you want nightmares, highlight below:
    Intel Core2Duo
    2GB of RAM
    500GB spin disk, which is home to the OS, and to all of the data we need to keep.
    Zero redundancy.
    Previously not backed up for over a year.
    Windows Server 2008, operating purely as a file server.
    One permissions group "Everyone"
    "Administrated" by an accountant with close to zero IT competence.