[WIN10] Gone back to WIN 7

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by Mathuisella, Apr 26, 2018.

?

All driver/game/compatability issues aside, which do you perfer 7 or 10

1. Windows 7

45.1%
  2. Windows 10

54.9%
  1. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Oh, it's complete shit. But (a) so is all software made in this century, and (b) at least it's patched by the people who make it, which is all you can ask in 2019.

BurningFeetMan likes this.
  2. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

We're still deciding between the shit or the shovel...;)

3. everybodies

everybodies Member

lol.
    mental note -> don't rush things
    and i learned a new word today ha ha

4. Perko

Perko Member

If they start pushing stuff off the CPU package onto the motherboards again it could revert to unreliable shitboxes when the board vendors don't cool shit properly. When Intel moved the north bridge onto the CPU was the game changer, AM2/3/+ boards were still hopeless for it.

All of these people complain about M$ "forcing" people off 2k/XP/7, but I haven't seen them push one final patch to remove networking capability yet.

5. OP
    OP
    Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

I believe it was AMD who done it first with the AMD64, i miss those days, i also kinda miss pluscorp :'( got my 3000+ while working there as a teenager :)

You can have a system without networking capabilities, most motherboard don't have wireless capabilities built in, so just not plugging in a lan cable or adding in a wifi cars and you're set.

Just have that machine 'air gapped' and only connected to the machine that it runs eg: cnc milling machine :)

6. BAK

BAK Member

/r/woosh

He's talking about nobbling the OS so idiots can't use it anymore.

BurningFeetMan, 2SHY, Perko and 2 others like this.
  7. Perko

Perko Member

That would explain why P4 based motherboards from the same era were unreliable dogs and AMD's were generally better. I was dealing with about 800 P4 based machines and only a sprinkling of AMD ones at that time, (for historically well known reasons with the main PC vendors then), so I just put it down to weight of numbers. I actually still know of an Athlon 64 X2 running Windows 10 with an SSD upgrade, once it boots up and caches what it needs into RAM it's pretty useable. No worse than it was on 7.

Reversing that design change for Phenom was a massive mistake. A good one these days is one that still works but has a dead memory channel or something. Nehalem, Clarkdale, Lynnfield and Sandy are all still trucking along like new relative to most previous generations.

Yes, no one has any major issues with that, upgrading SCADA controllers etc can be anything from super expensive to near-impossible, but removing networking would most likely reduce its use in the "never change" crowd among the general install base. We've been here for every version of Windows that I can recall back to 95, when 3.1 users were complaining about the DOS implementation in 95 and whatever other excuse they could come up with. Didn't you have the same issues with going from XP to 7? Change is the only constant in IT, if you want something to look the same forever, find a skin or theme, or go grab a Mac, I guess.

8. tensop

tensop Member

just an fyi guys, you're getting trolled by the bofh's in the B&EC discord server :p

we've established that win2000 sp4 was the greatest o/s MS ever released, followed by windows 7 SP1. Win8 + classicshell was suprisingly decent, but it's all been a downhill shitshow since. keep your crap patched, it's a nasty world of exploits we live in these days - so move to linux once the last security update is released and some sneaky 0 days come out :D

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    Zenskas likes this.
  9. freaky_beeky

freaky_beeky Member

There are only 2 BOFH's in that discord server?

10. Perko

Perko Member

Damn, I knew I should have paid my OCAU Premium membership.

metamorphosis and millsy like this.
  11. BAK

BAK Member

Holding an opinion that you should avoid using operating systems that are EOL/no longer patched doesn't equate to BOFH status, though suggesting that said operating systems get disabled to avoid their use is closer to that mark.

You might have established that. "We" won't ever reach consensus on such a subjective/opinion-based topic.

We do have consensus here though*, excepting certain belligerents herein.

*Insofar as your implication is you shouldn't be using an operating system that is no longer patched.

12. tensop

tensop Member

Nope, 2k sp4 best windows - Get off my lawn! :)

mikezilla2, Zenskas and metamorphosis like this.
  13. Perko

Perko Member

Hey, I'm not a Business Operator. At least, not in that context.

14. Hotrod2go

Hotrod2go Member

Got win 7 home premium installed on restored retro system last year - LGA775 socket. Last booted it in August 18', turned it on this morning to update.
    Downloaded 5 important updates but now has issues installing, retried few times already, not sure what is going on here?

Edit: problem solved!
    1 update at a time...

Last edited: May 25, 2019
  15. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Nonsense. XBoxOS was the greatest OS Microsoft ever released. Shit never blue-screened on me once. And according to OCAU, gaming is *the* demanded feature from an OS (it's the one reason everyone cites for not migrating to Linux).

Sub-200 days until Win7 EOL. How's everyone's migration plans going?

Hotrod2go likes this.
  16. Recharge

Recharge Member

they ain't... not migrating until I eventually build a new ryzen.
    I'm not given to cower in OMG IT'S NOT SECURE NOW!111111 the world will end!! RREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Hotrod2go likes this.
  17. mikezilla2

mikezilla2 Member

the amount of zero day exploits poping up in modern hardware as well as modernsofware is a little alarming

so 7 could be a sinking ship like XP ....

best OS was windows ME :p

BurningFeetMan likes this.
  18. Recharge

Recharge Member

even when I do turn to 10, it won't be a consumer version with "features" bloat.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
    Hotrod2go likes this.
  19. DerekP

DerekP Member

I moved to Linux full time a couple of years ago now. I have Win10, and boot into it occasionally to play the odd game that doesn't work in Linux. I don't play a lot of games, so I use Windows maybe once a month or so.

20. Hotrod2go

Hotrod2go Member

At least navigating around in win7 is easier than bloatware win10 imo. But only approx 6 months more support then CHOP!