[WIN10] Gone back to WIN 7

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by Mathuisella, Apr 26, 2018.

?

All driver/game/compatability issues aside, which do you perfer 7 or 10

1. Windows 7

45.1%
  2. Windows 10

54.9%
  1. tensop

tensop Member

design != mandatory

if you're talking actual business... then yeah, that discussion would be in b&ec, not here :)

2. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

Enterprise = Business, WTF are you on about?

3. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

Hmmmmmmmm

Wonder if Agg's up to the task of creating an OCAU enterprise we can all join for keys?

I'd be more open to 10 if it wasn't a spying, adware infested pile of bloat.

Ck21 likes this.
  4. dimension11

dimension11 Member

Sadly that's what the LTSB fixes, and is what most of the Win7 current holdouts would switch to.
    Which I think Microsoft knows so is preventing most people from migrating to.Which makes no sense to not offer a product that people want to buy...

Ck21 likes this.
  5. metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    dimension11 likes this.
  6. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

Wow, Windows 7 users should feel utterly ripped off.

Discovered recently that 32bit POSReady XP support only ended a couple of months ago (April 9, 2019). Good thing 99% of the updates also worked fine on 32bit XP Home and Pro with a teeny tiny registry entry. Although the very last one has broken Windows Update, I suspect that's no great loss. Updated my deployment image and rolling it out on the dual P3 now!

7. metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

Dual P3!!!
    Someone's rolling in money...!

Aetherone and MUTMAN like this.
  8. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

Times like these I wish my BP6 didn't die.

9. OP
    OP
    Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

BP6, that sounds familiar

10. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

Wonder why Abit died? They were leaders there for a while.

11. power

power Member

bp6.com

also OCAU ran off one back in the day.

12. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

Was it your BP6 I lapped the celerons for?
    That was a nice picture, twin full copper lapped mirror polished celerons :leet:
    There must have been four or five BP6s rolling through UniSA days of Valhalla. Powah plus plus.

Abit certainly lead on BIOS features and overclocking options, not to mention whacko boards like the BP6. Unfortunately, like many of their contemporaries, the noughties capacitor plague cost them dearly. Add in some talent poaching (where do you think DFI LanParty came from) and dodgy administration and poof, away she went...

Oh, bit of a gotcha. POSReady modded XP Pro runs fine in the DEV VM and the Core2, but is buggy as shit on the P3. Methinks Microsoft updated something to need newer CPU features (SSE2?) and haven't regression tested properly. Although to be fair, who was using a P3 in 2009 when POSReady was released, and what lunatic is STILL using one? :Paranoid:

13. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Same old reasons as always.

1) There's no money in enthusiast markets. (Don't get angry at me - there's more money in selling boring shit to low end people and snore-worthy corporates than all of PCMasterRace combined).

2) they got bought out by a bigger company, switched to making more profitable things, became a part of a larger beast.

14. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

Nah. Not mine. I never cared enough to do that back then - and can you really blame me when the bastards were perfectly stable, overclocked with the stock HS without a fan plugged in?
    Did I ever comb my hair with them in front of you? That was always a laugh. The looks on people's faces!

If you're really feeling tricksy, find the new opcodes since the p3 and search the unzipped patches for the hex. But if you're lazy, just install the actual posready on the p3, patch it up and see if it's still unstable. If you're even lazier, install it on a VM on the c2 but on a raw "ide" hdd and boot it on the p3.

Looks like they merged - to chase the 'appliance' market.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Abit

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  15. power

power Member

they went bust after a class action over the capacitor plague. someone merged with the carcass.

16. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

Hey, we shipped 4 Titan RTX'es today!
    Great, put them on top of the 20,800 730GT's Dell ordered over morning tea...
    Yep, all the staticz oh noes

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    Myne_h likes this.
  17. shane41

shane41 Member

Gigabyte GA-6BXDS ... although pics on the internet are the less scsi ones. I have it, quite the beast

18. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

I still hold onto my dual slot 1 1Ghz Pentium 3 EB's, loved that era. My Tualatin rig flies for it's age running Windows 2000!

19. power

power Member

yeah these guys were quick, Asus CUV4X-D? Quick was right but Via also meant unstable.

20. flu!d

flu!d KDE Neon 5.16

Via chipset's weren't the best in the day, but from memory Intel had no dual CPU offerings @ 133 Mhz FSB?

No Asus CUV4X-D as my processors were Slot 1, I used a server board mounted in a standard chassis.