1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Good Adelaide Restaurants?

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by ricee007, Jan 30, 2011.

1. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

I think he means the one just south of the Northpark Shopping Centre - has some super-generic name like "Afghan Charcoal Kebabs".

All the kebab places I've tried around Prospect have been good, actually - Safa Kebab (in the middle of Prospect, near the Foodland) and The Ghan (further up Prospect Road, in what I guess is Kilburn by that point?) are both nice.

2. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Can you google map it for me?

3. Irrational

Irrational Member

Meze Mazi on Prospect Road, want to take the wife there for her birthday but want to know if it lives up to it's name.

Anyone been?

4. Ma Baker

Ma Baker Retired

Surely you could have managed that?

5. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Looking at a few of the reviews this morning they are all top notch it seems. I used to live a couple of streets away but never got there unfortunately.

6. Irrational

Irrational Member

Yeah, read a few and it's booked in :thumbup:. I'll be sure to check back with what it was like.

7. hsvguy

hsvguy Member

Another bump.

Went to Orana back in April - Fantastic. A real dining experience. The first 20 courses are a whirl, the sommelier was top notch, and it was the little things that made a real difference. Highly recommend.

I'm booked in to Leanord's Mill at Second Valley, as their degustation sound really good and heard good things about it too.

Anyone else been dining out in Adelaide recently? Ditts plugs Hill of Grace on MMM all the time, but I've read some scathing reviews from critics.

Magill Estate is another I want to get to very soon.

8. stevenx

stevenx Member

I've been away for a while but the first proper meal I had when I returned was a tasting menu at Fermentasian in Tanunda. It's not really Adelaide, but it was excellent and well worth the journey and an overnight stay. I've eaten there a few times now and I've been thoroughly impressed on each occasion.

9. OP
    OP
    ricee007

ricee007 Member

Coming back for the first time in a year - Africola is high on the todo list --- anything else I need to squeeze in? Id been "everywhere" thats more than 2years old.

10. Oosh

Oosh Member

Went to La Boca Bar and Grill for a work function recently.
    Casual carnivorous atmosphere, so good if that's your thing.

Reckon it wouldn't be much more than 2 years old.

11. PrawnBoy

PrawnBoy Member

I'll be honest. I love Both the arkaba and kulbai khan.

Don't go to either if you want a good restaurant though.

alexb618 likes this.
  12. OP
    OP
    ricee007

ricee007 Member

Can officially recommend Africola - though, we ate outside, so hardly fine dining.

The chicken sandwich was one of the wife's favourite foods ever...

13. stevenx

stevenx Member

I went to Le Mistral down at Willunga a few weeks ago. It was excellent, and well worth the trip.

14. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Looks great, and Willunga would be a lovely place for a dinner night too.

15. chewbucca

chewbucca Member

Hi guys,

I can thoroughly recommend 'The Ghan' on Prospect Rd. its an Afghan place. When I was back in ADL earlier this year I visited there several times and the quality of food was fantastic.

Also, I recommend 'Parwana' on Henley Beach Rd. :thumbup:

16. hsvguy

hsvguy Member

Booked in to the Apothecary 1878 for this weekend, anyone been?

Reviews seem good.

Thanks, will have to give this a go.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  17. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Wow :wired: I just ate at Jamie Olivers restaurant in Adelaide, totally shocked at how bad it was.

Gf's birthday today, ordered just before midday and food arrived a little over 40 minutes later, and this was after telling them at 12:30 she had a meeting at 2. Ordered garlic bread which arrived semi warm as it had been sitting on the counter waiting for our meal to arrive. When I say "meal" we only ordered one, plus garlic bread. We asked for two plates to share, only got one plate. The plate that we got was dirty! It had tiny food scraps on it, maybe 12-15 of them.....and the underneath of the plate had water condensation on it like it had just been removed from a dishwasher. Yuck, just gross with the stuck food on it :sick:

~$30 crab linguini or something and hardly anything on the plate.

After talking to the manager we had the bill reduced, free drinks + garlic bread.

Terrible experience, never never again there.

18. hsvguy

hsvguy Member

That's a shame, i've personally heard nothing but bad things about it. I actually thought it was closing down as the company that owned it had gone insolvent.

The Apocathery was pretty decent the other night. I'd call it upscale dining, not fine, but the presentation of the dishes was good, and the flavours were there. The duck ham served cold with warm chargrilled nectarines was great, having the meat cold and the fruit warm was a great contrast.

Just over $200 for the chefs menu for 2, a bottle of wine and a martini.

19. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Worst thing was it was my partner's birthday today so she was very disappointed.

Not sure how reliable this information is but I've just heard it's getting new owners soon? Not sure about that one though....

20. doug81

doug81 Member

It's good, but used to be better when they were at their old place. The afghan place in the old muffler shop next to the Cheesecake Shop on Main North Rd opposite Sefton Park Target kicks ass for afghan food - so cheap and amazingly good. I avoided Adelaide in 2016, but would have almost gone back for this place!