1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Good Adelaide Restaurants?

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by ricee007, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Fresh79

Fresh79 Member

Cheers! :)

GF's birthday

2. RETARD

RETARD Member

so you get stuck with the bill :p

it will be fun im sure :thumbup:

3. Fresh79

Fresh79 Member

Great meal,

I had a tortellini & beetroot entree, GF had a tasting plate. For mains I had a beef ribeye with olive mash, GF had cheateubriand, and then we shared a brandy snap basket...$240 down to $200 with the entertainment card with about 4 wines each.

4. stevenx

stevenx Member

That place has been consistently good over the past few decades... I'm a little surprised that it's not given more attention by media and by diners.

Anyway.

I have a delicious conundrum. I'm taking part in the food and wine writing course that's being run in conjunction with Tasting Australia. I have to attend two dinners, but the choices aren't easy.

On Thursday night the options are a demonstration/dinner at Miele with Justin North or Hearts of the Harvest dinner with Matt Moran and Poh Ling Yeow.

On Friday I have a choice between a Stephanie Alexander dinner or a Guy Grossi dinner.

On both evenings the cost is roughly the same (expensive!) and the events are on at the same time so I can only attend one. I'll be flying solo, though there may be some other course attendees there.

I'm kinda leaning towards the Matt Moran with Poh Ling Yeow thing on Thursday and the Stephanie Alexander dinner on Friday. But really, I have no idea. Short of flipping a coin, does anyone have any suggestions? I can't make up my mind by myself :rolleyes:

Edit. Disregard. I just looked in to ticket availability and that made my choice for me. I'm going to the two dinners that I was leaning towards anyway.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  5. Baringa

Baringa Member

The otherhalf and I are visiting Adelaide next week, and would like to hear some recommendations for good food in the CBD. We like japanese, italian, mexican, indian, and we'd like to visit a steakhouse too. We have Enzo's on the list already, but would like some more thoughts from foodie locals! :)

We're looking for recommendations for breakfast spots and lunch too, not just dinner :)

6. OP
    OP
    ricee007

ricee007 Member

Sooo, have an Enzo's booking next week.

Is it too much to have a pasta dish as an entree, than a main course?

Like, is the entree pasta size actually an entree pasta sized course?

7. The King

The King Member

Make sure you ask for the Chorizo entree; don't think it's on the menu, but it's delicious.

ricee - I can generally polish off 3 courses alright, last time I went there I had entree (maybe Gnocci?) and didn't finish my main :(

Depends on budget, but Amalfi is very good reasonably priced Italian (definitely worth checking out), Enzo's is great more fine dining; Steak, either go to Gauchos or try Hereford Beefstau.

Breakfast, have to try Brown Dog Cafe, probably my favourite, and Queen St Cafe in Brompton is hugely rated as well; I don't like it as much. East Terrace Continental goes alright too, but can be too busy.

8. arytel

arytel Member

For a good burrito I will throw the arriba grill on prospect rd into the ring. Very good value for money ~$10-15, very spicy and nice fresh flavours.

9. stevenx

stevenx Member

I went to Maiz and Mezcal on Magill Road last night.

It was excellent. Check it out.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  10. OP
    OP
    ricee007

ricee007 Member

FTR, I'm more of a man than you are, because I finished my pasta entree and a main.

11. Wozza_au

Wozza_au Member

For great Mexican give Zapata's in melbourne st a try

12. The King

The King Member

Challenge accepted ;)

How'd you rate it?

Enzo's also have a take home range; Foodland in Oconnell st sells it - had their lasagne for dinner last night ;)

Went to Press* the other day, very good.

Italian place on Glen Osmond; Mesa Osteria; pizza was alright - pasta was very good.

Hereford Beefstau was disappointing; think it's because I had roasted/carved beef fillet - prefer the flavor/taste of a steak that's been grilled and has a nice crust on it.

13. OP
    OP
    ricee007

ricee007 Member

Yea, would (and have) recommend(ed).

For italian food, I'd probably recommend Rigoni's over Enzo's.... but, Rigoni's is pretty killer.

Never been to any of those places.

I'll check out Press* one day... just reading at Urban Spoon, it sounds like it needs to mature just a little bit:
    "Press has potential; and in an increasingly competitive Adelaide restaurant scene, the guys at Press need to nail the quality of the meats. "

"Terrible, disengaged jittery service... had to ask for everything; tried to pour my overpriced pinot into a thimble"

"the waiter threw them down and ran away in shame"

"but ultimately people it's about the food and experience (service) and this place has some way to go. "

"Drinks service was somewhat haphazard."

"Press has so much potential, but lacks the refinements necessary to be great!
    Lots of staff, but nobody really paying attention. "

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/336/1620487/restaurant/City-Centre/Press-Food-and-Wine-Adelaide

14. The King

The King Member

When we went, they didn't have the champagne the girls wanted - so they gave them the next level up of the same brand, same price.

Didn't have the full dessert one of the girls wanted; was something simple, like they ran out of the ice cream that came with it, so they gave it to her free.

I've been once, friends have been twice; was very happy when I went, but obviously can't comment on consistency.

Think we're going again this weekend - going to pre order the sucking pig :D

15. OP
    OP
    ricee007

ricee007 Member

I'm itching for Magil Estate to re-open :(

Must be soon!

Not sure where to go next, Cos seems the obvious choice, having never been before.... but, some of the restaurants are absolutely brilliant and I wouldn't mind visiting a handful of times!!

16. The King

The King Member

Cos was excellent when I went; Definitely going back.

17. ThE_BiG_O

ThE_BiG_O Member

I've got a few new recommendations.

1. Cucina - 21 O'Connell St. North Adelaide where the old Najaars used to be. Modern Italian food, big servings, great quality, all day dining, good prices. Been there twice so far and haven't been able to flaw them. They also do an awesome Chilli Squid - one of the few places that leave the tentacles and head :thumbup:

2. Woodside Providore - 69 Onkaparinga Valley Rd, Woodside. Great little place to go for a light lunch if you're ever down Lobethal/Woodside way. I had a Moroccan Cous Cous salad in a bread basket - one of the most delicious meals I've had in ages. And for the quality of the food I couldn't believe how cheap it was. Don't think I remember seeing anything over $20, except for maybe the steak. They make good coffee too.

3. VALE/INN - 5 McMurtrie Road McLaren Vale. Great pizzas and food. Good range of craft beers. I'd recommend the duck pizza on the red currant base, I've been out that way twice just for it.

4. Lobethal Bierhaus - 3a Main Street, Lobethal. If you've got a craving for some hot buffallo wings and craft beers then this is the place to go. All beer is brewed on-site at the micro-brewery and the hot wings are the best in SA I reckon. Not really a restaurant to go out for fine dining/dinner, just go there to chill out for lunch with beer and hot wings.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  18. platinum

platinum Member

You're right, not a fine dining/dinner place, but their food is outstanding IMO, had the 450gm rib eye on the weekend, the girls ordered a chicken and leek pie, and it was all exceptional... along with a few pints of stout mmm.

19. OP
    OP
    ricee007

ricee007 Member

Wouldn't you be too busy at GrumpyS?

20. platinum

platinum Member

Naw, much rather the beirhouse anyday :thumbup: