1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Good beaches in (F)NQ?

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by spludgey, May 13, 2020.

1. spludgey

spludgey Member

I know the further north you go, the worse the beaches get, as a rule of thumb.

However we want to escape some of the winter again and fly north for a week. Can you recommend beaches anywhere in QLD that are nice?
    We went to Magnetic Island last year and loved it, but what to go somewhere different.
    We like places that are a bit sleepy, but not too far (within 10km ideally, but can stretch to 20km) from a supermarket.

Sand (not mud) and blue (not brown) water is a must. Also, we'd prefer being able to get an Airbnb over a hotel.
    Any recommendations?

So far, I really only have Mission Beach on the list, but that's a little bit of a pain to get to.

2. clonex

clonex Member

i quite enjoyed mission beach except we were wondering why everybody was swimming in a netted area except us, on the way out noticed the irukandji warning signs :D

whats painful about getting there?

3. OP
    OP
    spludgey

spludgey Member

You don't have to worry any those in July, I don't think.

It's a two hour drive from the nearest airport, which isn't great, especially with a toddler.

4. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

No stingers April to December even then i never cared for suits or nets the chances are meh especially at the reef, more likely along the coast. Oh right you said Beaches!

You mean surf wise? because yes no surf here, but beach wise the best ones in the country (from various voted sources) are up here!

Mission beach is alright, 4 mile beach at Port Douglas is better, i even Prefer Trinity beach, Palm Cove and Kewarra beach right in Cairns over Mission. Kewarra Beach has a pub and food in the sand on the beach Thailand style, pretty cool. Ellis beach is beautiful and large, a touch out of town, 30 mins north between Cairns and Port Douglas and has a sweet caravan park on the water and there is a bar/grill there.
    Green island is opening next week, their beaches are better than the ones i used to live around Gold Coast, very white and goes alllllll the way around the island, with international visitors not coming it would be damn heaven, Fitzroy island is opening too and is home to apparently Australia's voted best beach "Nudey beach" however i prefer GI over Fitzroy beaches but Fitzroy is much bigger island and has a pub on the beach. Both are less than 1 hour on ferry from the reef fleet terminal right in the City.

I fly drones over most beaches here near the city and the water is blue as and sand white as, some of my pictures are featured by people with millions of followers.. Only low tide in the actual centre of the city you get the mudflats and that's why they built the Lagoon, which concentrates all the hot backpackers topless into one easy viewing area, ah fuck i love this place.

Just come to Cairns and i'll get you 40% off a scenic helicopter flight and you can see every damn beach, oh and you can borrow the car go check them out. I only use it to go to work couple days a week.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
    GumbyNoTalent likes this.
  5. KANNIS

KANNIS Member

Just swim in the netted areas, crocs are moving south apparently......and don't fall in the water off your jetski 10kms out like I did out from Cairns. lol.

I didnt find any decent beaches on my trip to be honest, however the Barrier reef swims where awesome. Warm, Bathwater !!! :)

6. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Nethiuz you forgot Bramston beach and Cowley Beach both between Mission Beach and Cairns.

7. Fred Nurk

Fred Nurk Member

And if he drives he can stop in at Mt Larcom on the way...

GumbyNoTalent likes this.
  8. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Why, what happened?

9. KANNIS

KANNIS Member

Too ambitious with one of my moves, the Ski threw me off into dark murky water. lol..

I tell you what the things that go through you head when you're in a shark, croc & box jelly fish infested water is not something you want to go through..You tense up and panic.. Took me almost 5 minutes to get back on.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020 at 1:23 PM
    MR CHILLED likes this.