1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Good beginners beer?

Discussion in 'Geek Grog & Homebrew' started by Maelstrom, Mar 2, 2004.

1. Maelstrom

Maelstrom Member

Hi all :)

I've tried a number of beers over time (I'm in my late teens) and whilst many of my friends are quite happy to sit down and drink a carton, I have trouble finishing a single beer.

Simply put, those beers I have tried have not appealed to me - rather bitter, evil tasting drinks.

Now whilst I havn't been converted to the beer side as of yet, I'm certainly not against trying ;) So I figured, why not ask the good blokes (and ladies) at OCAU what sorts of beers are good for beginners.

I admit I havn't tried that many beers - my friends usually drink Coopers and/or Carlton Colds (occasionally VB) for cheap beer, and Corona/Heinikin for more expensive beer. Being a non-beer drinker, I usually only bludge one of the cheap beers off them (havn't wanted to waste their more expensive ones) in exchange for a shot or glass of whatever I'm drinking. I've also tried a homebrew, and a number of beers that I didn't pay much attention to and hence can't remember the names of.

Now, like with most things, price usually mirrors quality, or at least has some connection, so the chances are that cheap beer could be keeping me away from becomming better introduced to the stuff.

Hence, getting back to my origional point, I must ask, what would you recommend that I try? Not neccecarily expensive beers, but just beers that are good for starters who have yet to find beers that they like the taste of :)

Failing that I guess I'll just give it some time, but hey, might as well give it a go first :)

Thanks in advance for all suggestions
    -Dan

2. pax

pax Member

If I was you I would try the different styles of beer that are around.

You probably have tried bitters(VB, etc) and lagers(crown, etc), then there are draughts, ales, stout, and 1 or two others I think.

Generally ales in Australia are quite expensive as are stouts due to the needed to age, but they are well worth the extra dough as many are 7%+ alcohol.

I was drinking Coopers when I was in Oz and when I can find it in the UK I drink it also,

Pax

3. kukulkan

kukulkan Member

OK, here are some good introductory beers. Theyre all reasonably priced and easily available too. All my opinions for someone new to beer, with some *very* basic notes.

First of all, these beers are all light (coloured) refreshing styles, which I would recommend to someone new to beer:

Witbier (Belgian White Beer): Hoegaarden White - Very good introductory beer, very refreshing, citrusy and mellow.

Hefeweizen (German Cloudy Wheat Beer): James Squire Colonial Wheat - Nice example of a hefe, and very easy drinking. Nice banana and clove notes.

Pilsener: James Squire Pilsener - Bitter, but a clean soft bitterness from Saaz hops. Very refreshing and a lovely malt palate to balance out the beer.
    Pilsener Urquell - The original pilsener. Once again balanced towards bitterness, but clean bitterness.

American Pale Ale: Little Creatures Pale Ale - Now I'll be honest, you may not like this beer so only buy one to start off with. Its quite bitter, but once again a clean bitterness from Chinook and Cascade hops. Lots of citrus in the flavour, and a very refreshing beer.

Once you've tried those beers, try working up to some traditional beers stronger in flavour (and usually darker in colour):

Bitter (actual english bitter, not the australian crap): Shephard Neame Spitfire - Great example of a traditional english bitter. Sweet toffee balanced out with grassy english hops.

Porter: James Squire Porter - Dont let the colour scare you off. Very easy drinking darker beer. Sweet malt flavours with some coffee/roast in there too.

If you've worked your way up to those, and are enjoying them, go out and learn a bit :) Try some stouts (coopers best extra is a nice australian example), belgian strong ales (Abbaye Des Rocs and Gouden Carolus are nice), trappist ales (Chimay!, Orval, Rochefort, Westmalle are all great, havent tried the others). Theres lots out there to try if you find yourself getting into it :)

edit -

One other beer you may like to try while starting out is a fruit lambic. It'll probably be a little expensive though, and you may find it weird buying a fruit beer!. A good introductory lambic is Belle-vue Kriek. Kriek is made by blending lambic (a style of belgian beer) with cherrys during fermentation. Very refreshing beer, quite sour/tart as well as sweet from the cherrys.

If you have any questions just PM me :)

Last edited: Mar 2, 2004
  4. MiGiSHu

MiGiSHu Member

Montreal, Canada ePenis Size: Whoppingly Large
    Guiness

5. Headless Turkey

Headless Turkey Member

That's mean MiGiSHu

6. FragieSpice

FragieSpice Member

I would try some of the Belgian or German wheat beers.

7. MCWB

MCWB Member

Yes I think you're in roughly the same boat as my other half, who thinks that beer = watery bitter crap. :p

There's SO much more out there that doesn't fit this bill though! :) Most of it is more expensive than your standard cheap Aussie beer though, but it's certainly worth it IMHO. This applies to most of the beers kukulkan has mentioned.

I would definitely recommend trying some wheat beers, I'm a big fan of the James Squire Ltd Ed Colonial Wheat Beer. I found some of this stuff that was 'out of date' (Best before Sept last year) in January, and the store owner was happy to get rid of it for $5 per six pack! $20 a case! LOL, you reckon I was stoked? :D :D

In fact most of the James Squire range is pretty nice, try the Amber Ale or the India Pale Ale as well. I actually don't like the Pilsener, but there's a lot of personal taste involved there. Usually most of the James Squire range is $45-50 a case. Other Aussie beer that would be good for you to try would be James Boag's Premium and Cascade Premium (both around the $40 a case mark).

All the beers I've mentioned so far have been Aussie-made, with imported beers, the sky's the limit. :) Do you have a Belgian beer cafe in Adelaide? They exist in many capital cities, and whilst they're a bit pricey, they have an excellent range, most of which has already been covered. Most are pretty high in alcohol though, so be careful of that! ;) I'd personally steer clear of the friut lambics until you get a taste for beer, for the simple reason that most beers aren't as sweet as these, so if you expect beer to be sweet like a cherry or raspberry lambic then you'll be disappointed. For another nice dark beer, try Koestritzer.

Oh and don't equate dark beers with being harder to drink, more evil etc etc. I used to think this... until I started drinking them. :)

Have fun! [​IMG]

8. `X'

`X' Member

i tried this last week. they have it at the Belgian Beer Cafe in Brisbane.

it was soooooooooo nice. wont be able to get it again though :(

9. kukulkan

kukulkan Member

Why not? Its available in all good bottleshops, and most crap ones! :)

Plus i've seen it on tap in NSW, VIC, WA and I'm sure its available in ACT & SA too. Not sure about NT+TAS though.

10. PostModern

PostModern Angry Brewer

LOL. You listed every state EXCEPT `X''s :)

Anyway, I recommend the wits and Little Creatures for a newbie beer drinker. Even try Hahn witbeir (no need for kukulkan to post back saying it's crap - it does drink easier than other Aussie brews, generally and my first/only experience with it was when I was hot and thirsty after a long day of touring on the Mornington Peninsula).

11. vr*comm*chik

vr*comm*chik Member

I know stuff all about beer, but the only one I can drink without getting a) beer burps, b) beer farts, or c) a beer hangover is Coopers Pale Ale :) Tastes alright too :thumbup:

12. kukulkan

kukulkan Member

Try Hoegaarden white beer sometime. You'll like it :)

Its got a pretty similar level of carbonation to Coopers Pale, and its carbonated in the bottle with live yeast* too (just like coopers).

Tastes a hell of a lot better though :) Its quite a different style than you'd probably be used to. I enjoy a coopers, but I do find it to be a bit too cane-sugary sometimes.

:lol: :)

* I thought it was pasturised until recently when I watched a Doco ("Follow That Beer") that briefly toured the Hoegaarden brewery. Turns out its definately bottled with a live witbier yeast.

13. catfish

catfish Member

I would say Tooheys extra Dry - I reckon it's the softdrink of beers, it doesnt have any bitter after taste really, more of a cardboard after taste :)

The other Dry beers are prob similar.

14. kingjam

kingjam Member

you just need more practice!

all beer tastes like shit at first - only by consuming vast quantities of cheap shitty beer like VB can you grow to appreciate the finer brews over time.

my advice is write yourself off a few times on VB - practice makes perfect!

:tongue:

15. esprit

esprit Member

Try Stella Artois, now theres a nice tasting, refreshing beer :D

I also haven't seen Hoegaarden White for sale anywhere in Brisbane apart from the Belgian beer cafe in the city, on tap. Does anyone know of a bottle shop that stocks it?

16. kukulkan

kukulkan Member

Stella Artois is an average quality export lager in my opinion. It has nothing on the Pilseners of Bohemia such as Pilsener Urquell and Kozel Premium. Dont get me wrong, I dont think Stella is a bad beer, I just dont think its worth the price asked for it.

Vintage Cellars stores should stock Hoegaarden White Australia-wide BTW.

17. bluedreamer

bluedreamer Member

I have a few friends that don't like beer too much, but they don't seem to mind corona or strongbow (does ale count?). Or you could always try a light beer but lotsah people will call you weak :)

18. Imitation

Imitation Member

kukulkan are there any sites out there for describing beer?.. like you do? heh. I've recently tried a bunch of different beers but all I can say is 'wide(broad)/short taste', 'slightly acidic', 'tastes like yeast', 'sweet aftertaste' and 'has flavour'.. after reading ratebeer.com (or something) I can pick a few charecteristics but yeah.. I don't actually know what it is I can taste half the time.

I guess for yourself it's something picked up after brewing your own for some time?

19. Sunset

Sunset Member

where is this belgian beer cafe in brisbane?

20. kukulkan

kukulkan Member

I hope you're joking :Pirate:

Drinking vast quantitys of shit beer will turn most people off beer completely!

I've introduced a couple people to beer via refreshing witbiers, german wheats and one via a fruit lambic :) All of them were spirits or wine drinkers, and thought beer all tasted similar (most the mass marketed stuff does!).