1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Good beginners beer?

Discussion in 'Geek Grog & Homebrew' started by Maelstrom, Mar 2, 2004.

1. kukulkan

kukulkan Member

Strongbow is cider not ale :) And cider is not beer :)

Corona actually isnt a bad suggestion either. Word of warning though, drink it very cold or the true adjunct (rice? i think) flavours come out.

2. kukulkan

kukulkan Member

My favourite site is http://www.ratebeer.com

Theres a good introductory guide written by a Perth guy (Ol Juntan) here. Also, this tasting form can be handy when you're starting out too. The flavour wheel can be handy too :)

My ratings are all kept on ratebeer too. I find it handy because it can be hard at times to remember whether I liked a certain beer or not!

http://www.belgianbeercafebrussels.com.au/

Last edited: Mar 2, 2004
  3. FragieSpice

FragieSpice Member

i've tried many different beers on my girlfriend to get her hooked, but have so far failed.....

the closest I came was with some german wheat beer at a beer hall in germany :) [hard not to drink beer when you are surrounded by others drinking beer]

4. Chunks

Chunks Member

Having problems finishing a Pale Ale?
    You need Tooheys Extra Dry.

Goes down easy :).
    So Mael when's the party?

5. PostModern

PostModern Angry Brewer

Oh god. Not the TEDs again. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Dry beers are brewers way of making cheap innofensive beer. It lacks any semblance of taste. I had one thrust upon me by the host at a christening on the weekend. I sucked it down to be polite (and I admit, out of morbid curiousity). It was like thin vaguely beer-flavoured water. NOT beer.

6. Chunks

Chunks Member

I agree.
    I only suggested it because of what it is: "It was like thin vaguely beer-flavoured water.". Exactly. So if your tastebuds can't handle something more substantial it'd be a good way to start.

I was the same way. I couldn't understand how people would enjoy a Heineken, Becks or Boags because to me the taste wasn't something I was used to.

So I started off with TED & Coronas and now I can appreciate a whole lot more :)

7. spankyofoz

spankyofoz Member

if you're after a good range of beers in Brisbane, try the Paddington.

I'm slowly converting my wife to beer. I've found she like the sweeter, toasty beers, like a newcastle brown or a nice chocalatey stout, like coopers vintage stout. She calls a stout vegemite water, bit her at least tasting it is a step from her usual turning up of her nose :)

8. fairymoans

fairymoans Member

I am not a beer drinker, and I don't really try. But as a non-beer drinker, I do enjoy Groltsch (sp?), it tastes to me thick, sweet, and not at all bitter, if that makes sense. In a pinch, Heineken is palatable to me, though a little bitter.

I only post because noone has mentioned Groltsch (so I'll assume it's a bad beer to a real beer drinker).

9. `X'

`X' Member

corner of Mary and Edward Streets.

Its opposite Universal (the strip club)

its only open till 1am and i didnt even know it was there i walked past it so many times and just missed it.

10. predder

predder Member

I'm in the exact postion as the original poster... every time i've drunk more than 1 beer i've chucked up :sick:

My dad has some norwgian beer imported (pilsners) which is really light and more drinkable than any other beer i've tried.

And I dont mind killkenny either... just make sure it's COLD

11. ToranaGuy

ToranaGuy Member

Very interesting and informative thread guys!

I'm not much of a beer drinker, other than kilkenny and guiness on occasion. I'm more of a spirits drinker, and very small amouts usually. I was brought up around spirits and american beers. I particularly (sp?) hate most aussie beers, premium boag's and coopers aside. 4 X gold isn't too bad, i tried some when i was up in brissy in january this year. I sorta guess that's the yank in me, as my dad's a yank, and he HATES aussie beer, with a pasison. I'm not so hating it tho, not all aussie beer.

This thread has really opened my eyes up to the world of beer. Next time i pop into a bottle shop, i will be on the lookout for some imported beers to try out, as sugested in this thread. My g/f will be amazed. Kayt's more a beer drinker than anything. But crappy aussie beers. Vb and MB :tongue:

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Last edited: Mar 5, 2004
  12. bluedreamer

bluedreamer Member

Whoops my bad. Cider :) What on earth prompted me to type ale? I need a beer...

13. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Whats a good, heavy, not too $$ Beer?

I have been drinking XXXX Golds for a fair while now but it's time for a change.

I had a 6 pack of TED's last night which were nice, and Guinness is OK but Im thinking somthing along the lines of a little rarer or less popular that still is a heavy beer but not incredibily bitter and one that doesn't cost the earth.

Grolsh I have tried but it tastes like shite...

What would you guys reccomend?

14. hunter2k

hunter2k Member

I'm into Fosters atm... I hadn't seen it sold for years and noticed at the bottleo the other day. Not bad at all, but does cost $10.99 a 6 pack of $35 a carton at my local.

P.S. I'm sampling some of the Fosters right now ;).

Last edited: Jul 8, 2004
  15. gbug

gbug Member

VB everytime

piss off all of you who think VB is for bogans, and is shyt.

I have drank many a beer, and my personal preference is this beer. I think its tops.

16. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Ima not going to dismiss VB as a bogan drink, but Im going to dismiss it on the grounds that I think it tastes like shite...

17. spludgey

spludgey Member

one word: "Red"
    I just love that beer and it's only $28 for 30 cans.

18. NvidiaLoser666

NvidiaLoser666 Member

oh god :sick:

Personally TEDs and coldies are the norm. Swan draught isn't that bad either.

19. gbug

gbug Member

ok ok , so you think VB is crap. I dont.

But its cost effective

also, try Coopers Pale ale isnt too bad
    But that again is an aquired taste.

ps - the first person to nominate Tooheys new is officially gay.

20. poozor

poozor Member

stick wit hthe teds mate, great beer.