Good case for new Mini ITX Build

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by HugeNuts, May 11, 2018.

1. HugeNuts

HugeNuts Member

Hi All,

Im looking to start a mini build and wanted to know some good Mini ITX cases!

Im a sucker for a good looking rig so want it to look good and have great cable management.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated :)

2. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

It depends on just how mini you want your mini case to be. The Fractal Nano S is one of the best IMO, but not as small as many other cases.

3. Winterheart

Winterheart Member

As Ratzz mentioned, depends on your tastes. For display, Fractal Nano is good, very clean builds possible, but not particularly small. ThermalTake cases can be done well, but not very small. NCase M1 is very very compact with great options, but no window if you wanted to display. CoolerMaster Elite 1xx series if you wanted compact, but again, display not really much option.

4. OP
    OP
    HugeNuts

HugeNuts Member

Thanks for the input guys!

Really like the look of the Fractal Nano S so will be choosing between that and the NZXT H200i

5. TomJ

TomJ Member

I just picked up a Nano S myself for my new mITX build. $129 is a great price for it too.

First time I've had to buy Windows as well, at least since 98SE :Paranoid:

6. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Fractal Nano S with 7700K, GTX 1080 Gigabyte Waterforce GPU, 280 rad with custom loop including D5, 280 rad, and 3x 140 rad fans, + a 120mm exhaust and the 80mm fan I had blowing on the VRMs and RAM. If you choose a shorter GPU, you could fit a 4th rad fan too. 4x 2TB 2.5" drives in the back, with fan and LED controller too (Aftermarket NZXT Hue, costs extra). There is no other case on the market capable of fitting this combo, including the NZXT you are considering.
    The NZXT does, in its defense, have a tempered glass window, this one is only perspex, but good luck fitting a custom loop in one..

Hands down the most versatile ITX case in the universe.. it would also be possible to add a couple of 140mm exhaust fans on the top, the top panel is removable with mounts to suit the fans, but this was unnecessary.

[​IMG]

Cooling is pretty good.

With the NVME OS drive and only a couple 2.5 drives here, but running 5.2GHz on a (delidded) 7700K with the GPU at 2018MHz and RAM @ C14-4060.. note the temps. Also, the fans are running at low speed.. rig was virtually inaudible during this run.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    HugeNuts likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    HugeNuts

HugeNuts Member

Ratzz im very impressed with your setup and surprised how much you can fit into a mITX build!

Definitely not going down the water cooling route myself, however will go with something like the NZXT X52 AIO CPU Cooler.

8. OP
    OP
    HugeNuts

HugeNuts Member

Just interested in what specs your going for in your Nano S build? i cant remember the last time i had to pay for windows but that sucks!

9. TomJ

TomJ Member

Low end stuff for HTPC'ing
    AsRock Z370M
    i5-8400 (because 65watt)
    Noctua NH-L9i
    8GB Geil DDR4-2666
    Samsung EVO 960 M.2
    -No GFX-
    Corsair 620W modular PSU

Looks very bare inside without a video card and the CPU cooler could easily by a 140-150mm. I will snap a pic tonight of the completed build. I have to move across my HDD's and PSU from my current BitFenix Prodigy build.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    HugeNuts likes this.
  10. museumman

museumman Member

on a plane with cocaine & yes im all lit up again
    Another vote for the Fractal Nano S from myself.

[​IMG]

TomJ, HugeNuts and Ratzz like this.
  11. TomJ

TomJ Member

Is milk a good heat transfer fluid? ;)

12. melatonin

melatonin Member

SFFLAB will be my next build if you want really small.

13. TomJ

TomJ Member

Minimal at the moment but I could ad a gfx card. The i5 8400 is on 65w so it's probably an over kill PSU but the Noctua NH-L9i is perfect. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

If that's your HTPC, and you don't NEED a GPU, then all you need is an Antec ISK-110 case (comes with pico style PSU for $105) and a couple of 2.5" drives. Transplant your board and everything attached to it into the Antec, and the rest of the case, including the 3.5" drive and PSU, are left over for another build. Then Vesa mount the Antec and you have the perfect HTPC. I love the Nano S but it is way too large for your use case.

15. TomJ

TomJ Member

Yeah, it is a bit. My old system has a gfx card and an H80i cooler which fit nicely into an mITX case.

I actually don't like the low profile HTPC cases myself and at least this has expandability if I decide to game.

16. Ravense

Ravense Member

Which case in particular? SFFLab have multiple

17. asho444

asho444 Member