Good Cheap Beer?

Discussion in 'Geek Grog & Homebrew' started by BuuBox, Mar 12, 2010.

1. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

I've been trying different beers lately and have found some good ones however seem to be spending too much.

What I like:
    1. Little Creatures Bright Ale
    2. Whale Ale
    3. Cascade Premium

What I don't mind:
    1. TEDs (I've got my flame suit on)
    2. Little Creatures Pale Ale
    3. Bitburger

What I dislike:
    1. VB
    2. Coronas
    3. Coopers Pale Ale

Any suggestions for a cheap beer suiting my tastes would be appreciated... :lol:

2. Jobe

Jobe Member

dude how can you prefer the Little Creatures bright over the pale ale. Mmmmmmm.

I found Fat Yak on tap at my local RSL for like $13 a jug and was like... wth gime gime gime. Give it a shot!

3. Eradicate'

Eradicate' Member

BitBurger is great, my new fav beer

4. influx

influx Member

in terms of the really cheap beers (<$30 carton) you can get from the coles/woolies chains, oettinger > hollandia imo.

5. Eddyah

Eddyah Member

Fat yak is great! Looking to find a supplier in sydney that have it for cheap.

Never tried it in a bottle but i'd think it taste the same as on tap since it's produced here :thumbup:

6. dillusional

dillusional Member

Start brewing your own :) once you get past the setup costs, it's cheap as to make dude.

7. Ma Baker

Ma Baker Retired

Or go to the Brew Barn.

8. OP
    OP
    BuuBox

BuuBox Member

That did cross my mind, might look into it.

Thanks for the suggestions.

:)

9. Adro85

Adro85 Member

I'm about to move into a place where I might have the room/conditions suitable for homebrewing. But I read the OCAU homebrew wiki and quite frankly it scared the shit out of me - it looks so complex!

I don't have a science-type brain and I fear there's too many variables that could easily cause me to cock things up and waste all the time and effort.

Confirm/deny?

10. 3stars

3stars Member

only one way to find out dive in man, nothing ventured nothing gained.

11. dillusional

dillusional Member

Ok, I'm just about to do my third brew and I really can't wait to do it.

I got setup by buying the coopers home brew kit from Coles. It cost me 80 bucks and came with everything I needed to do my first brew. It's got 30 PET bottles as well.

It comes with a Lager in the box, but there are heaps of other ones you can make.

Coopers sterilise all the equipment for you first,but I gave mine a wash out just in case. After the first brew, I went and bought 36 750 swing top bottles so I can have a few going at once :D

You can make brewing as easy or as complex as you like, I'm just about to start experimenting by using different yeast and adding fresh hops. This drives up the cost, but it's a hobby so I'm still playing around with getting it perfect.

Shoot me a PM if you've got questions or checkout the Homebrew thread in Geek Grog here.

12. Adro85

Adro85 Member

This is encouraging :) thanks man. I'm going to look into it more once I move house. How did your first brew turn out, out of curiosity?

13. pugsley

pugsley Member

Brewing can go from incredibly simple to insanely complex. To start off all you need is a can of goo, some yeast, water, a container to ferment it in, a bit of sugar and some bottles to put it in.

Beer is a patient man's hobby. There is a lot of waiting involved.

Following that link and seeing the car i thought someone had managed to stuff a micro brewery into a vehicle to do door to door mashing for clients.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  14. Ma Baker

Ma Baker Retired

Now that would be interesting.

We've been doing this since before christmas and everyone who comes to the house loves it. We're thinking of getting a keg set up in the future. Haven't bought shop beer for ages. Averages around $25 a slab once you've got your bottles.

15. Fireblade

Fireblade Member

The first item in their FAQ is a little disturbing.

To the OP, I was in the same position as you. I've been brewing for a couple of years now and I won't be going back in a hurry. I make beers of comparable quality to $60-$80/box beers for around $20-$24, and I do it the easy way. I could nearly half that cost if was willing to take the time with all grain brewing, but I don't have that time.

16. aXis

aXis Member

I for one dont like the bitterness of the pale, about 30IBU is my limit. The bright is good but prefer the Pilsener the best.

Yeah, no such thing as good cheap (commercial) beer - quality ingredients and time make a big difference. If you like the Little Creatures then that's all about massive amounts of fresh hops, which is an expensive ingredient.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  17. lethoso

lethoso Member

hammer & tongs (available from first choice, dunno if they're a national chain or not) is pretty drinkable for the price

18. Crinos

Crinos Member

Yeah that's ludicrous. They deliberately and knowingly sell you bottle bombs? :rolleyes:

19. Ma Baker

Ma Baker Retired

They're telling you to refrigerate them so that there isn't a chance of this happening. We have plenty of fridge room so it's not a problem for us.

20. Crinos

Crinos Member

It shouldn't happen, refrigerated or not! Unfermented sugars should NOT be in the bottle at all(apart from the priming sugar, but that's very different as it's a highly controlled dose). If it isn't the desired level of alcohol, too bad... that's the recipe's fault, not the temperature's! It's one of the fundamental rules of homebrewing: don't bottle the beer before it's finished fermenting, full stop. :)

Not knocking the beer at all, I'm sure it's great(it's homebrewed after all ;)), but any brewer will confirm that that is an extraordinarily dodgy concept, if, as the FAQ indicates, they indeed halt the fermentation prematurely by chilling and then bottling!