Good cheapish double kick pedal

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by MrSmoke, Apr 2, 2012.

1. MrSmoke

MrSmoke Member

So, i currently have some crappy pearl kick pedal thats belt drive (with the belt about to snap), a spring with no spring and a construction that would come close to something made of paper. Now im not the best drummer, actually in pretty shoddy, but I still like a nice kick pedal.

Ive been playing some more double kick orientated stuff lately (Karnivool, Dead Letter Circus etc) and while i cant actually play it close to the recording it would still be easier than trying the single pedal techniques on a pedalboard that stays down 90% of the time lol.

Any recommendations? Not looking to spend big bucks, but i dont want Dixon bad.

Thanks

2. BigandY

BigandY Member

Tama HP300TWB (Iron Cobra Jr) $499

or Tama HP900 double $699, can get with chain drive power cam, chain drive roller cam or flexistrap

Unkillable

3. SquarkyD

SquarkyD Member

I got a Pearl set that only cost me $300ish (mates rate tho) a few years back, built solid and after some dialling them in perform pretty awesome.

4. Macvash

Macvash Member

5. BigandY

BigandY Member

6. Macvash

Macvash Member

Ahh, nice. I just did a lazy google search, lol. I'm interested in this pedal now too. :D

7. DefoBryso

DefoBryso Member

You get what you pay for with pedals.

I'd also recommend the Iron Cobra family. Solid and indestructible.

Cheaper pedals don't have allow you to customise as much as mid to high range pedals do. Keep that in mind if you want to keep playing more double bass..

Then again, its 95% feet, 5% pedal that makes the boom boom!

8. closed_gate

closed_gate Member

I am currently playing with a Mapex P380A double kick. Picked it up for about $250, damn nice pedal and for it's price it is great, i've used Iron Cobra's and DW's before and they are amazing for their price, but I think the Mapex is getting up towards the Iron Cobra.

9. OP
    OP
    MrSmoke

MrSmoke Member

10. Dreakoth

Dreakoth Member

I havnt kept upto date on kickpedals i have a set of pearl p100tw's look pretty well the same as what u linked to, they do me well. If your not playing hours and hours a day and going to gigs all the time ur not going to wear out a set of pearls anytime soon.

Iv wanted a set of ironcobras but never been able to justify them with my casual use.

I mainly want to upgrade to get the internal type hinge where u get theextended foot plate going all the way to the heel so i can do better heel-toe double kick technique (decent sized feet hard to get heel onto the plate)

i figure unless ur right on the edge for speed/performance/sound and u need custom/ pro level - stuff to tweak any kick will do (within reason) ie belt or chain or different features, different cams u can get used to anything and be able to play it decent its all foot / technique and practise like everything.

spending an extra $100 to $200+ probably wont pay off

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  11. RatcHeT-x

RatcHeT-x Member

I've got the Tama Iron Cobra's and I love them. They have a very different feel to say the Pearl Eliminators. The Eliminators are also very highly regarded in that price range. If you're going cheap, stay away from Ludwig.

You get what you pay for though, my drum teacher uses like 18 Pearl Demon Drives ($1200 each). And man they are smooth!

12. closed_gate

closed_gate Member

but like Grant had said when he got them, They took a lot of fiddling to get them right, and you could definitely tell if they were not right.

I personally am quite happy with my Mapex, but the next set I will upgrade to are DW 9002. Excy but worth every cent.

13. RatcHeT-x

RatcHeT-x Member

I hear the DW 9002's are very very smooth but break often. Even the entire footboard has been known to snap right in half. Weird stuff.

14. BigandY

BigandY Member

15. Skitza

Skitza Member

Not a fan of the Demon drives.. He should have stuck with his Axis :D

If I were you, id wait till you could afford a decent set, you wont regret it. The original pearl dk's were great.

16. PrawnBoy

PrawnBoy Member

Ooops I just gave away a DW Double kick. I could have sold it for a crisp 50! :Pirate:

17. closed_gate

closed_gate Member

He had Pearl Eliminators, not Axis, seeing he was a Pearl Endorsee.
    :)

18. Skitza

Skitza Member

No No... He had Axis ;) this was before the elims. Long time ago now... Ask him about it.

19. JugV2

JugV2 Member

20. closed_gate

closed_gate Member

You mean back in his Mapex days?