1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Good corporate wifi?

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by Cadbury, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Cadbury

Cadbury Member

Whats the favoured vendor/solution these days for corporate wifi? specifically a mesh of access points in a corporate environment managed from a central piece of software. Cisco is good, but expensive. Juniper i've found to be hit and miss. Ubiquiti is promising but isnt quite enterprise grade yet.

2. GreyWolfe01

GreyWolfe01 Member

Ruckus is ok, but definitely get the newer Smart controllers that use direct TCP connections and not UDP. We had hella issues with the older controllers that used UDP - they required a 100ms or less ping to all devices to work.

3. Gunna

Gunna Member

I love the Unifi's. I administer South Korea, NZ and AU from a single controller here in Australia. Able to adopt AP's over layer 3 with a simple A record added to DNS.

Band Steering between 2.4 and 5 is now available as well.

4. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

We put in Ubiquiti UniFi gear everywhere (5 different sites now), and love it. We'll be migrating all of our security video stuff to Ubiquiti products shortly too, and a number of our remote sites use their voice solutions quite happily.

Hell, I even bought one of their UniFi "lite" APs for home, I'm so in love with the gear.

5. QuakeDude

QuakeDude ooooh weeee ooooh

We're a Meraki site (we use them as branch routers/endpoint VPN devices) as well as the smaller wifi hotspots... all of which we manage through the one web based portal.

Having said that - I've got a UniFi mesh happening at home, and I have to say, I'm pretty impressed with that. Would seriously look at that if I was to re-do a solution from the ground up.

6. Beanz

Beanz Member

+1 for Ubiquiti.

Just rolled out a site with a couple of APs throughout the office and warehouse. Working great for mobile scanners.

The only downside I have seen so far is any changes (even minor ones) to the wireless networks, it reboots the unit automatically?

Not great if working on a "live" AP, maintaining guest network etc.

7. BLeR

BLeR Member

No love for Aruba? We just went through the process and looked at Cisco (currently in use), Aruba and Juniper.

Aruba came through with the goods in the end, much easier to administer and maintain (and cheaper, cost about $500K less than Cisco solution and no need to use Cisco Prime which wins on that alone in my books).

We have about 600 AP's across three sites though. All administered from the one host.

8. quickshot84

quickshot84 Member

Cisco or Xirrus

9. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

Why not Ubiquiti?

What is it missing to be enterprise grade..? :confused:

10. Gunna

Gunna Member

Unifi's do have a 4 SSID limitation though.

Overall I think they suit a good portion of medium to large corporate environments, VLAN capable, band steering, bandwidth throttling, free Controller, scalable and cost effective.

Yes it is hard to make adjustments as you can take down an entire site when making changes but just schedule a maintenance window

11. tensop

tensop Member

can the unifi gear do AAA vlan override via 802.1x?

12. scips

scips Member

First vote for Aerohive, ridic easy to deploy, web interface seems a lot nicer than meraki (at least in my experience so far)

13. wintermute000

wintermute000 Member

Aruba if you have the cash. You can also swing some sweet deals with Procurve switches bundled now that they've been borged by HP.
    Instant access is a system seller (distributed virtual WLC, no actual physical single point of failure, and works waaay better than cisco's v1 highly feature limited version).

Meru/Fortinet if you want to save. Not a fan personally but it works and they are very aggressive on pricing.

Meraki (Cisco, but not 'real' Cisco) if you want pretty graphs, idiot proof UI, easy to drive, and a licensing gun to your head (stop paying subscription, stops working. Not just can't make config changes, point blank stops passing packets)

The only people buying full fat Cisco wireless (traditional stack, not Meraki) are the large enterprise shops who are deathly afraid of or wilfully blind to any other networking vendor, and / or who have partners who are so deep in Cisco kool-aid that they don't know how to sell or deploy any other vendors. There is no competitive advantage vs the three options I've stated above, costs more, more complicated to install and/or operate.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
  14. dualathlon

dualathlon Member

I work for a cell phone retailer, which has deployed ~ 2500 ubnt and 800 aerohive aps.

Ubnt ap:
    _ cheapest price
    _ good for low - medium density wireless traffic
    _ simple setup
    _ free controller (Recommend <= 80 APs per controller instance. Passing that line, cpu + disk io usage goes to the roof)
    _ Roaming among APs are so-so, no Layer 3 tunnel roaming
    _ Client load balancing among APs is station based, and is not effective.

Aerohive:
    _ price is in the mid range. (AP + license + support + controller + ... around 700 USD / ap230)
    _ Work acceptable for heavy wireless traffic environment. By heavy traffic, i mean channel utilization ~60% (80% is the maximum you can reach). I have to turn off many fancy features like application classification, DDOS prevention ... for those heavy traffic locations.
    _ simple setup
    _ Radius, vlan pooling, Layer3 roaming is excellent.
    _ client load balancing among APs is airtime based. You define busy thresholds, any of those threshold reached, new client connection is denied => client must find less busy APs.
    _ GUI allows you to deep tuning many wireless parameters: management data rates, how to do band steering, ...

Hope that help.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
  15. bugayev

bugayev Whammy!

Interested in how you find the cameras go. Until recently, I've had to reboot some of mine (UVC and UVC-Dome) on a weekly basis or they just stop recording.

16. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

Seriously?
    Unless the hardware is given away for free, that qualifies it for the fookoff bin right out of the gate.

17. DavidRa

DavidRa Member

And no-one ever mentions it during the presales phase either. No guesses as to why the providers love selling it though, rent seeking FTW.

18. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Our guys out on remote sites use them extensively, and it was their feedback that prompted us to use them. They haven't reported any issues.

19. mr_death44

mr_death44 Member

From what the rep was saying, there's a 6 month period to fix licensing before they'll lock you out of your own network.

20. roger895

roger895 Member

We use Ruckus, it works. SSID limitation was shit to stumble across (of which one or 2 get eaten up if you turn on mesh - and you have to wipe config and start again if you want to turn it off).

We ended up using 1 SSID and with NPS, we pushed clients to different VLAN's based on security group membership.

We did look at Aerohive and it ticked all the boxes, looked good, easy to use etc, but were time limited when it came to deployment, so we stuck with Ruckus.

Ubiquiti stuff looks really good to me, a mate of mine uses it and hasn't had an issue.