Good Floorstanding Home Theatre Setup.

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by neutralizer, Jun 21, 2008.

1. neutralizer

neutralizer Member

Hi Guys,

We're looking at doing an upgrade of the sounds system in our house. Basically this a total upgrade of everything except the sources (we'll keep the same CD player etc).
    That means a new amp, speakers, sub and wiring.

The first stage is to get a good 2.1 system of floor standing speakers with a very good amp, preferably with 5.1-7.1 capability if we want to add satellites down the track.

Consider the budget to be in the 3-5K mark for the two main floor standing speakers and the amp, satellite speakers and sub are separate.

At the moment we have only looked into retail stuff, some Dali speakers and an Onkyo Amp as per below.

Speakers: Dali Concept 10
    Amp: Onkyo TX-SR875

Any suggestions on good brands to investigate for the amp and off the shelf (i.e. floorstanding, non custom) speakers?

I should say we're fans of decent size cones, none of these trendy piss little 3 inch cone speaker sets that seem to be all the rage. Personally I think the above speakers are a little on the small size and lacking mid range flexibility in terms of the cone size.

We are considering custom built as an option also and I think two speakers each with the following in them would be a good option:

1x12
    1x9
    1x6 or 1x6.5
    Plus a tweeter

Then have a separate sub also to complete the 2.1 setup.

The main thing we really want is good speakers and a good amp to start with. We can purchase the sub later on down the track if its going to stretch the budget too much to get it all at once, but still suggestions would be appreciated for what to consider.

Also need some info on wiring. The speakers are going to need a cable length of approx 20m each (from where the amp is and the convoluted route the cable needs to follow). Obviously over a length like that drop will be an issue. What cabling do you think is up to the job?

Cheers for any input.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2008
  2. Zzapped

Zzapped Member

You might be better posting this in the audio/visual form instead of PC audio

Cheers

Z

3. underskore

underskore Member

i dont really see why you would go with such a complex (and large) 4-way setup if you plan on using a sub with the system, if you go custom i would be thinking more along the lines of 8/6.5/tweeter

4. OP
    OP
    neutralizer

neutralizer Member

Ah bugger, yep will repost there. Cheers.

5. Bern

Bern Mind the gap!

No, you will not repost, Ah I see you already have.

Second thread deleted, please report threads so they can be moved instead of X posting.

6. OP
    OP
    neutralizer

neutralizer Member

Ah yeah two posts by others got deleted there. Here's the responses fellas:

7. yihfeng

yihfeng Member

http://www.carltonaudiovisual.com.au/?q=node/view/881

Five ways to spend 5 grand by CAV.

I'll probably be tempted to follow this bit here and follow the AV route when upgrading :)

:)

8. Burners

Burners Member

In regards to using a power amp in conjunction with an avr, you need an avr that has pre-outs that allow you to send the basic signal to another amp. Then if you have a power amp with HT bypass you control the volume of your fronts with it and can fairly easily blend the volumes to be the same.

The onkyo you linked to does have the pre-outs so it gives you that option.

I have an integra 7.8 which although built with slightly better parts than the Onkyo probably isn't better by a huge amount, so you will probably be quite happy with it's stereo capabilities.

I personally wouldn't bother with 7.1 unless you have a big room.

I can't really comment on Sydney stores as I don't live there. Any decent store that wants your business should be happy to let you sit there for several hours providing you give them notice on where you want to listen and time to setup gear and room for you.

Work out an auditon list of some favourite scenes from movies to take along to demo.

9. OP
    OP
    neutralizer

neutralizer Member

I was thinking about the auditions and trying to think of some testing music for any potential setup. I quite enjoy Metallica S&M which should give the speakers a decent all ranges workout and also a big fan of well played guitar so was going to take along some albums of the great solo's. I was thinking Jazz or some such, though I'm not an avid listener, should help to determine which speakers offer more clarity.

I'll have a hunt around and see what's available to be auditioned at different price ranges.

As for 7.1 not interested. I'am however interested in the ability to use the rear channels to boost the oomph to the front left/right speakers :D

10. Zee

Zee Member

Some suggestions in terms of brands...
    (not limited to these, of course)
    Canton
    Boston Acoustics
    KEF

Also, you are North, try checking out Pymble Hi Fi. Val REALLY knows his stuff, and Boris used to (and still does) help me out with installs, and is also very well versed in terms of AV gear.

They will have a lot of of speaker brands you probably have not heard of, but they sell very good gear.

http://www.pymblehifi.com.au/

For the record, I don't work, or do work for them. I just know for a fact they are very switched on.

Z...

11. GTR27

GTR27 Member

Krix for speakers.......they sound fan-tastic

I have Magnat as mains and will be upgrading to Krix for the fronts, and move my current floorstanding mains to the rear, and bookshelves to the side channels (7.1)

12. OP
    OP
    neutralizer

neutralizer Member

Geez Pymble Hifi have some nice stuff :thumbup:

Might just grab 2 Rosewood Legacy Whisper HD's (http://www.pymblehifi.com.au/Legacy Fronts.htm) as fronts and 2 Rosewood Legacy Focus HD's as rears...Wait hang on, I almost forgot, I don't have $100K to spend on 4 speakers....bummer, you win some you lose some :lol:

13. BFM666

BFM666 Member

for the love of god, dont get the concept 10's. they blow chunks of lame next to the concept 8's and the concept sub. which can be had for the same money.

id look at the paradigm studio 100's. i recently had the pleasure of auditioning them and they are amazing. these will be part of my next upgrade in a few months.

14. THE D

THE D Member

Dali speakers are overpriced (at least in AUS).
    I have heard the concept 10 and they are nothing great.......
    and umm.......... the concept 10 are very big speakers and mid-range comes from 3-6.5 inch drivers (or 6.5 mid/bass drivers) not big drivers.

Don't waste money on "high end" CD players, cables or any other BS.

If you ask me, you should take a look at Monitor Audio.
    I liked the RS6 far more than the dail concept 10 and they are built much better to.

But make sure you hear the speakers you are buying no matter what they are.

15. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

nice choice on amp, i currently run one :)

fwiw, i bought a Klipsch Synergy F3 5.1 set ( http://www.klipsch.com/world/au/en/products/details/f-3-home-theater-system.aspx )

these towers have twin 8" mids with a horn tweeter. to me, they sound really nice with the Onkyo.

if you hit up Harvey Norman, you may be able to get that same combo for around the $5k mark, go have a listen ;)

otherwise, i'd also recommend Krix (was close to buying a Krix package, but i got the Klipsch at a price i couldn't refuse). hi-fi trader in Newtown will be able to give you a nice demo.

16. OP
    OP
    neutralizer

neutralizer Member

Well went and had a look at Pymble Hifi and was to be honest less than impressed. Spoke to Borris, nice guy but way to much of a 'believer' in all the bullshit for my taste. Had a listen to some speakers, the only ones that to sounded like what we were after were 16K so we're going to keep looking.

Pretty much decided to go with two separate amps; one for stereo with 2 nice floor standing speakers. And then a separate 5.1 amp with a separate 5.1 speaker set.

We'll probably just get a comparatively small HT setup as the room its going in has some odd dimensions that make it difficult to place the two big fronts (which we want for stereo) even vaguely near where they need to be for 5.1. As such we concluded its better just two have to separate systems. A small and comparatively mobile HT setup (possibly wall mounts or bookshelf type things) is what we'll likely have to use for the TV 5.1.

Will look into Monitor, Krix and Klipsch.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2008
  17. THE D

THE D Member

No such thing as 8 inch midrange drivers, they would have to be mid/woofer drivers and would not trust Harvey Norman as far as I could throw them.

To the OP.....
    Don't buy two amps, most 5.1 (or more) receivers over $1000 are just as good as most 2 channel amps. Also, good receivers have stuff like the audyssey EQ room correction system built in.

Don't waste money on buying two sets of speakers, just find fronts you like and then buy the matching center and surrounds (never buy the center and surrounds from a different maker than the fronts, its also best if you get them from the same range).

On the other hand, the sub does not need to come from the same maker at all.

18. OP
    OP
    neutralizer

neutralizer Member

Hi mate,

I know exactly where your coming from but we have one essential problem. The only spot we can put the two main floor standing speakers (which will be the 2 stereo speakers and the Front Left/Right of a 5.1 setup) won't fit near where the TV is. I realise its hard to understand why this situation can't be helped, but take my word for it, there is only one position in the room where these two speakers can go and the TV isn't anywhere near them in fact its the other end of the room.

So basically we have to keep these separate unless we want really unbalanced 5.1 where the two main speakers that we would want to use for stereo our the ones outputting the Rear Left/Right of the surround which would be weird with pissy little front left/rights which is all that will fit near the TV.

The reason for the layout problems is two doorways, stairs and fireplace causing all sorts of problems.

19. THE D

THE D Member

Hmm...... what size are you thinking of for the 5.1 speakers?

Because you could just buy some good bookshelf (aka. standmount) speakers which you could use instead of big floorstanding speakers because you will have a sub anyway (the only real reason to go floorstanders over standmounts is because most good standmounts only go down to 40 (odd) hz, but because you have a sub it won't matter)

Btw I am not talking about tiny sat + sub systems (the ones you get in big box stores).

20. Zee

Zee Member

Shame, I'll have to kick his arse next time I see him. Maybe he goes into "non believer" mode when he talks to me, 'coz he knows I'll pull the BS flag.

Oh well, at least you saw a few other things you are not likely to see elsewhere.

Z...