Good Recipe for barramundi? and how to cook it nicely?

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by kuruptz, Mar 20, 2008.

1. kuruptz

kuruptz Member

Hey guys,

I have no idea when it comes to fish.

Whats a good recipe for barramundi? I have 3 barramundi fillets.

Also how do i cook barramundi nicely? quickly colour both sides then in the oven for 5 minutes?

Have no idea how to cook fish nicely.

THANKS.

2. OP
    OP
    kuruptz

kuruptz Member

No body knows a good recipe?

3. barclayton

barclayton Member

google does.
    :Paranoid:

4. doug81

doug81 Member

Keep it simple. salt & pepper on the skin, then skin-side down on a med-hot frypan.
    Give it about 3 minutes and put some lemon slices on top and stick it under a grill until the lemons start to brown. transfer the fillets to a plate and then put a tablespoon of butter in the hot pan, and a splash of white wine to deglaze. add chopped parsley to the sauce as your about to pour it on the fish.

5. Amfibius

Amfibius Member

Nice fresh fish should be steamed, or grilled, or cooked in a bag. I have a few ways to do it. Name your skill level and your preferred style (Italian, Chinese, etc) and i'll see if I can accomodate. Also, do you want a sauce?

6. OP
    OP
    kuruptz

kuruptz Member

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

I would prefer to grill it, not steam or in a bag.

Skill level is intermediate , I wouldn't mind a sauce but i don't want it to over power the barra, as its a nice fish anyway.

Im Italian so would prefer an Italian style, but if it isnt too much hasle can you please tell me both styles as i will be cooking barra again.

Whats your suggestion :)?

7. Jay

Jay Member

Simply frying barra in oil goes well if it's young enough, however I'll drop a steaming recipe here a bit later on when I have some time.

8. jruisan

jruisan Member

Make sure you get a Wild Burramandi.

These are a lot bigger, but taste a hell lot better than farmed.
    They don't have the crap in em too.

Baking these is nice.

9. Amfibius

Amfibius Member

kuruptz I must say that I am very partial to cooking it French style in a paper bag, paired with a nice lemon and dill sauce. But this hides a lot of the freshness of the fish, so by far the best way is to steam it Cantonese style.

If you want something Italian, I would recommend grilling the fish and serving it with a tomato salsa.

I'm a bit busy now so will post the recipe later :)

10. OP
    OP
    kuruptz

kuruptz Member

Well my fish has already been cooked now, turned out nice :)

I would like your recipes as they want me to cook fish more often now.

That paper bag one sounds nice, also Cantonese style.

11. salmon

salmon Member

In the oven on non stick paper with oil and salt then serve with lemon butter

lemon butter 3 lemons 30 mls of white wine 250g butter

method
    boil and reduce 3 lemons and 30 mls of wine then cut 250g butter in cubes add butter take it off the heat and stir in till butter is dissolved and combined

only way to have barramundi imo

Last edited: Mar 21, 2008
  12. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Fish with lemon poured on top and some seasonings, wrapped in tin foil, chucked in hole in beach sand with hot rocks = best ever :leet:

13. BobsYourUncle

BobsYourUncle Member

Quoted for truth. Wild barra is probably my favourite fish, once you've had wild, you won't be able to go back to farmed (well, you might go back once, then realise what a tremendous mistake you've made :p). It tastes so good, i just season a little with salt and pepper and shallow fry or grill.

14. Amfibius

Amfibius Member

Well this is a very simple barra with salsa recipe. I also included a recipe for roast waxy potato which goes very well with this dish.

Ingredients
    - Barramundi fillets
    - Flour
    - 3 tomatoes in season (right now it's Roma tomatos)
    - 1/2 red onion
    - 1/2 lemon
    - Coriander leaves, about 4 tbsp
    - Pickled Jalapeno peppers
    - Extra virgin olive oil
    - Lemon Thyme leaves, about 1/2 tsp per fillet

Method
    The salsa starts to go off the moment you make it. The lemon needs to be added at the last minute. Do not serve this salsa if it has been sitting around for more than an hour. Well you can, but it won't be as nice.

For the barramundi - start by turning on the grille to preheat it. Dredge the fillets in flour, shake off excess, spray on olive oil. Pan fry briefly to give some colour and immediately remove from the heat. Pick off some thyme leaves and sprinkle liberally on the fish. Season with salt and pepper. Put on a grilling tray but do not put in the grille.

For the salsa - halve the tomatos and scoop out the pulp. Finely dice - you should get 5mm cubes. Dice the onions and jalapeno peppers the same way. Be careful with the peppers - I don't give a quantity because I don't know how spicy you like it. I tend to like mine pretty spicy, so I use about 1 1/2 tbsp of peppers. Toss the cubed veggies together with the coriander and 1 tsp olive oil.

Put the barramundi fillets into the grille for 6-8 minutes depending on the thickness of the fillet.

Now squeeze the lemon juice over the salsa and adjust with salt and pepper. Plate the salsa immediately. By now, the barra should be done. Remove and serve.

Roast Waxy Potato
    Use a waxy variety, like Kipfler or Royal Blue. Avoid floury potatos like Desiree. Peel the potato, then boil for 5 minutes. Plunge the potato into cold water. When cool enough to handle, cut deep incisions into it spaced 2mm apart. Do not cut all the way through. Rough up the potato a bit then smear garlic butter all over the surface (if you have duck fat, this is even better). Cook in the oven for 45 minutes at 180deg C.

15. OP
    OP
    kuruptz

kuruptz Member

wow thanks mate, making this tonight!

Still have some barra left :D

I like it spicy to probably use same amount of jalapenos as you.

THANKS AGAIN!

16. OP
    OP
    kuruptz

kuruptz Member

Made it tonight, it turned out delicious! Will definatly be making again

Putting flour is also very nice.

THANKS ALOT :D

17. Amfibius

Amfibius Member

Welcome :) Glad to be of help :)