Good resources for learning C# for Unity

Discussion in 'Programming & Software Development' started by Ravennoir, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Ravennoir

Ravennoir Member

Hey Everyone,

So I have just started teaching myself Unity, and although I feeling like I am getting it, the C# stuff i feel im lacking in

I have been working in IT for about 15 years, but always as a Admin\Engineer and although I write scripts with Powershell and some basic VB, I have never "coded"

Because of what ive done in powershell, I kinda get the jist of what is going on, but feel like I need to start learning more

Im wondering if anyone has some good resources to get me started

Thanks

2. rjwillers

rjwillers Member

I have started software development in c# 2.0 and throughout this time I have read and watched many software articles and tutorials. From this I would recommend you follow this man who I've watched over the past 8 years. Check out his Pluralsight tutorials which are full of great info, followed by examples to follow, allowing you gather a good understanding on the topic presented.

http://odetocode.com/about/scott-allen
    Scott has worked on everything from 8-bit embedded devices to large scale web sites during his 15+ years in commercial software development. Since 2001, Scott has focused on server-side and web technologies, like ASP.NET, ASP.NET AJAX, Windows Workflow, Silverlight, and LINQ. Scott is also a speaker at national conferences like VSLive!, as well as code camps and user groups near his hometown of Hagerstown, MD.

Scott has been recognized as a Microsoft MVP since 2005, and has written or co-authored several books on Microsoft technologies. Scott founded the site OdeToCode.com in 2004, and joined Pluralsight in 2007.

3. OP
    OP
    Ravennoir

Ravennoir Member

Cool thanks, ill check this out

4. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

I've been doing these :

C# Fundamentals with Bob Tabor, microsoft.com

And learning on the job.

Bob is pretty good, he knows when to skip over something and when to go in to detail which is really important for me the way I learn.

5. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

hello scott @ OdeToShill

6. OP
    OP
    Ravennoir

Ravennoir Member

These look great thanks

7. Foliage

Foliage Member

Next thing is to just practice. Getting good at something takes thousands of hours. Write as much C# as often as you can, you'll probably do it wrong but over time you will read more and you will improve.

8. OP
    OP
    Ravennoir

Ravennoir Member

thats how I learnt powershell, so I will try and take the same approach

9. Foliage

Foliage Member

Also find a good book/tutorial/blog on "Data structures and algorithms" its the most basic but hte most important course you would do if you studied CS or Software engineering.

It describes dictionary's, lists, trees, recursion, loop etc and when to use which one.

The courses above will explain all of this, but its up to you to find one you can actually finish and enjoy