1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Good star trail locations from Sydney?

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Sir Ghallahad, May 16, 2012.

1. Sir Ghallahad

Sir Ghallahad Member

YO YO

Does anyone know of any good locations for shooting star trails around Sydney? I would be willing to drive ~2hrs for somewhere good. I've done the middle of nowhere in the blue mountains, and whilst good for things like lack of light pollution, there was no foreground interest in the shots.

So if anyone knows anywhere up the coast, towards places like Wisemens Ferry, Wollombi etc, that might have interesting trees or buildings, then fire away.

2. kraniX

kraniX Member

I saw a pretty nice one a while back on a beach down in Royal National Park, but I can't find a link to it now :( I think it was around Bundeena.

3. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Still a bit too much light pollution there I have found.

You can try further out past Lithgow.. or down near Goulburn. Id be keen to head out once arvo to grab a sunset and hang around for more.

You can try going up west of say Singleton to where you can find some more paddocks with interest within.

I have thought about targetting a river and a spot (that isnt in a valley) that had a good field of view infront. But its hard.. scouting online is very different to in person.

Your other option is finding something up on a plateau that has some interest but again.. need a bit of clear space.

4. crankinhaus

crankinhaus Member

I remember staying at a place up near Hill End, a place called Wattle Flat near Sofala, a few years back. The guy there was an amateur astronomer, had a $45,000 telescope on his property.

Certainly no light pollution up in the hills there ...

5. crankinhaus

crankinhaus Member

It's up high there, some interesting derelict buildings around the area here and there for some foreground subject...

6. pirateRob

pirateRob Member

I drove up there a few months back, certainly looked like a good spot for some astronomy, but would never imagine someone had any gear like that.

I'm moving to Cobar in 3 weeks so definitely some dark skies out there.

7. OP
    OP
    Sir Ghallahad

Sir Ghallahad Member

Thanks for the ideas peeps.

Yeah you're not wrong. And since all good places are a fair drive away it takes a lotta time to just go out and find places for later. Tried using google maps a bit, but its a sloooow process.

8. -DaNieL-

-DaNieL- Member

I'm going to Dubbo this weekend so I can keep an eye out for good locations, as I'm driving out really early in the morning (4am) and will hopefully find some not too far from Sydney :)