1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Google Apps in the Health Industry

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by Smokin Whale, Oct 7, 2014.

1. Cubix

Cubix Member

Simply cementing the fact that I never said the entirety of the Act applied in any post as you alluded to.

Information supporting your statement below that is contrary to the information provided by the OAIC regarding health providers.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  2. Cubix

Cubix Member

An APP entity can be either Agency or Organisation.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
  3. OP
    OP
    Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

Gee, I had no clue it extended to entities such as these. Nor do I see how your local PT can get their head around these requirements.

4. IACSecurity

IACSecurity Member

You are correct.

5. Macfox

Macfox Member

Having spoken to the Google reps on this topic last September in Mountain view and again last month in Sydney, the data sovereignty issues aren't going to be solved anytime soon for the medical and legal industries. The Australian market isn't big enough and the only sovereign cloud in Google Apps is the US Gov one.

6. gregzeng

gregzeng Member

From the government docs:
    http://www.oaic.gov.au/privacy/applying-privacy-law/app-guidelines/chapter-b-key-concepts
    =====================
    " B.2 An ‘APP entity’ is defined to be an agency or organisation (s 6(1)).

" B.3 An ‘organisation’ is defined to be:
    " an individual (including a sole trader)
    " a body corporate
    " a partnership
    " any other unincorporated association, or
    " a trust

======================
    These privacy protections seem to apply to individual persons, & "organizations", incorporated or not. Since my past careers include directorships in many non-profit enterprises, these new laws now get so complicated & inclusive, that every Australian person (including visitors to Australia) seems vulnerable to these laws.

The extremely rapid expansion of first-world regulations is becoming a lawyer's orgy. As I now have reached the (old) age for annual car-driver's tests, my "testers" admit that no person in Australia can hope to keep up with the rapidly expanding, comprehensive vehicle-driver regulations. Even the NRMA-type of organizations have given up informing its members of these overwhelming changes.

In the "health" industries, we face the same complexities & lawyer's paradise. My background is not is health service provision, but in lobbying, media-production, management & representation of human health issues. Seems the only beneficiaries are lawyers, including those lawyers who become actual or defacto polititicians (lobbyists, advisors, consultants, etc).

7. OP
    OP
    Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

Thanks for this. I was going to get in touch with them to confirm but I don't think i'll need to now. Looks like MS Exchange + Office 2013 + Owncloud + Remote RDP + 1password will be the way to go.