Google blocks Huawei from using android

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by Matthew kane, May 20, 2019.

1. Soc

Soc Member

Because the ban will only affect new Huawei phones, and not existing models, now's a great time to pick up a Mate 20, or a Mate30 from one of the idiot panic-sellers for a bargain!

firey4059 and JSmithDTV like this.
  2. sanjay

sanjay Member

be my guest...i wouldnt be taking the risk. all the reports seem to suggest that it very much affects current huawei phones and means no OS-level updates (including security patches) are going to be provided to huawei anymore. i would not want a flagship phone that isn't getting those updates anymore (i'd probably be less concerned about an older phone though).

3. hawpinghaxbag

hawpinghaxbag Member

Security updates will come via Huawei and android open source project

Tech heads should have no probs getting around the other blocks, its iOS user types who should steer clear

4. xc351

xc351 Member

I have a p30 as does my partner. Wonder of if jb hifi or similar will take them back was told that they would receive android 9.

Is not receiving major os updates a returnable fault.

Then again I did pay $199 and got a $200 gift voucher but recipt is for full retail price and they give you a $700 gift card.

Hopefully once the dust settles they may say phones are OK or similar.

5. FOTW

FOTW Member

Might be a good thing for the market, could be that this break up the googles hold on the smartphone market especially if other Chinese phone manufactures start getting nervous about market conditions. Another wide spread OS on the market could be good for consumers and might lead to more innovation.

6. sanjay

sanjay Member

why is google's stronghold a problem while apple's anti-competitive decision to keep its own system closed is fine?

firey4059 likes this.
  7. sanjay

sanjay Member

Alright Mr Robot. How many people do you think are going to be willing to put up with workarounds on their every-day device?

8. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

He said... tech heads. Pretty sure that doesn't mean your average joe... ;)

JSmith

firey4059 likes this.
  9. FOTW

FOTW Member

Didnt say it was a problem, just that it would be nice to have more choice, other than Android or iOS.

Also if a manufacture wants to keep their system closed that's fine with me, I don't like Apple's eco system and wont use it however plenty of other people are fine with it.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  10. DarkWorld

DarkWorld Member

Plus I doubt any tech heads will be using stock ROM, so not an issue anyway

JSmithDTV likes this.
  11. sanjay

sanjay Member

do you think the market for tech-heads who flash their own ROMs and lose access to NFC pay and rewards apps is big enough to warrant huawei continuing to invest millions in their smartphone business in the west?

i used to be one of those guys...android is now good enough not to need the tinkering. i dont think many people are hoping to go back to those bad old days.

firey4059 likes this.
  12. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Nope... never said otherwise. That doesn't mean some won't import them though...

Fair call.

JSmith

13. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

https://www.npr.org/2019/05/20/7249...ei-phones-will-lose-access-to-google-software

JSmith

14. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

Looks like I'll need to change my phone again. I have an Honor View 10.

15. chook

chook Member

If the product does not perform as specified and/or advertised it is a refundable fault. JB will likely try and tell you it is outside their control so not their fault. While I certainly agree that it isn't their fault, that is up to them to deal with their supplier and so on up the food chain.

16. DarkWorld

DarkWorld Member

I actually want to pick up a Honor or Huawei phone now, know anywhere people are panic dumping them? :)

JSmithDTV likes this.
  17. Zee

Zee Member

"...'goodness me, could this be Industrial Disease?"

Z...

18. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

AFAIK UK and Germany both did independent testing over many months, and couldn't find any evidence of any sort of spyware or "phone home" systems going on.

I'm not sure anything is "gaining momentum", other than Trump continuing to shit on China in a bid to bring low-wage, inhumane factory work back to the US, which apparently will "make things great again".

JSmithDTV likes this.
  19. sanjay

sanjay Member

already seeing some mate 20 pros being offered for sub $700 on FB marketplace and gumtree...

20. xc351

xc351 Member

I have the p30 (non pro) love it that this and the fact they were on a $199 promo 2 weeks ago you are bound to find a good deal