Google blocks Huawei from using android

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by Matthew kane, May 20, 2019.

1. DarkWorld

DarkWorld Member

Where? You mean I missed that?!

2. DarkWorld

DarkWorld Member

In case you didn't know there's a safetynet fix for nearly all roms on Magisk, I have it with RR on my current Z5 and can use Android Pay

sir_bazz likes this.
  3. chook

chook Member

It will depend how the phone is represented at the time of sale. As an example (question previously asked) if the phone is represented as receiving updates for X amount of time or to a particular version of Android and now those updates aren't coming then the product no longer meets that specification which means JB actually do have an obligation to refund.

I don't know what specific things the phones actually say or how long the handsets are "guaranteed" to receive updates, if at all.

4. OP
    OP
    Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Wrong. The phone receiving updates or not has nothing to do with JB being obligated to give a refund which they are not.
    Phone updates is something up to the buyer to research about and how often updates are rolled out by that manufacturer to its products. If something out of the blue happens such as the current case of Google banning Huawei using the android source that is not a problem on JB's end. You deal with the manufacturer aka Huawei Aus.

5. FOTW

FOTW Member

Your statutory warranty only covers faults at time of purchase. The phone isn't faulty its just that Huawei might ended its product cycle early due to the ban. However its currently functioning as it should you can not claim its faulty. If retailers do start accepting phones back it will be more as a good will gesture rather than a legal issue.

6. Virtuoso X

Virtuoso X Member

Assuming Huawei allows unlocked BL

7. General_Cartman

General_Cartman Member

This is true, and even if they did, while those of us on these forums might have no trouble flashing a custom recovery + magisk, the vast majority of people who buy Huawei wouldn't even know where to start. Unless Huawei can convince developers to put their apps in Huawei's app store the loss of a GMS license would be the end for Huawei in Western markets. It would have 0 affect them in China though.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  8. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

My gf, after her purchase of the mate 20 is going to take it back and swap it for one of the other options on the deal she took up......either S9 or pixel. Said she doesn't want be assed with any of this BS.

9. Intensify

Intensify Member

So annoyed i just purchased a Huawei P30 pro for my wife. Looks like Android 9.0 is about as good as it gets for that phone for us as i have no clue how to flash that XDA stuff.

10. DarkWorld

DarkWorld Member

You still can, it just cost money from a 3rd party unlocker now.

11. General_Cartman

General_Cartman Member

Google cannot prevent Huawei from using AOSP code as it's all open source. So there's no reason Huawei can't still release software updates, it will just take longer because usually the manufacturers get the AOSP source code before it's released publicly.

12. fuzzyhair

fuzzyhair Member

Slightly off topic, but what's the implication for Windows on Huawei laptops? I'm assuming that it's still possible to install retail licenses of windows on Huawei laptops. Just thinking out loud: Apple certainly don't license Windows for Macbooks but that hasn't stopped people from installing Windows anyway - presumably still receiving all the regular security updates.

13. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I don't really care much if my Huawei Y7 ever gets another update. I use it for phone calls and texts, photos, and maybe the occasional google query. I'm not concerned about security or performance really.

14. miicah

miicah Member

There was an argument on /r/android yesterday about this, apparently they won't be able to use AOSP.

https://www.xda-developers.com/analysis-huawei-aosp-google-ban/

JSmithDTV likes this.
  15. DarkWorld

DarkWorld Member

As one of the commenters pointed out, this is licensed under Apache 2.0, which grants a Perpetual license to use it. It would be absurd for AOSP to be taken out of the picture, and a direct violation of IP Laws.

16. mtma

mtma Member

IANAL, in typical legal frameworks contractual terms that would violate the legal obligations of the parties to the laws of the jurisdiction are implicitly void.

So even though the Apache 2.0 licence does not explicitly state this, the act of granting a perpetual licence only stands if the licensor has the legal right to grant this.

Whilst this means that Huawei certainly do not have an explicit licence to access AOSP in the US, I'm not sure if there is any legal onus on Google to act to prevent Huawei from accessing the code base and using it within their products. i.e: "just because you're using it un-licenced doesn't mean I need to pursue you in the court of law". However they may be pressured through other avenues to make this move.

17. FOTW

FOTW Member

Nathan Rich talks about how the ban might bring in more competition and innovation to the smartphone market. Something I mentioned earlier in this thread. Well worth a watch.

18. DarkWorld

DarkWorld Member

Well this just got much bigger than Google; ARM cut it's agreements with Huawei too.

19. franny

franny Member

Actually, it isn't quite that simple..

The actual rules according to the ACCC are:
    You may be able argue that at least one of these major problems will exist.

20. DivHunter

DivHunter Member