1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Google Chrome - I am in your browser, threading your processes.

Discussion in 'General Software' started by glasnt, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Dass Booty

Dass Booty Member

Thanks for that. It worked for me. I'll add the details here for future use and incase that page is moved or deleted.

Create a shortcut to chrome.exe and add --disable-new-menu-style to the end of the link. So it should look like this:

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe --disable-new-menu-style

2. power

power Member

that'll teach me for not clicking through, worked perfectly :thumbup:

3. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

this new menu style first appeared some time back, but then went away only to return with this most recent update.

4. electro rc

electro rc Member

I liked this menu when it was first brought out (beta stage) and like it now. I'm probably in the minority with this but meh, it fits I better with my whole PC/gaming area.
    Cheers,

5. looktall

what res do you run?

6. electro rc

electro rc Member

1050. I can see how it could be annoying on lower resolutions but I don't use anything smaller than 1050.
    Cheers,

7. looktall

i've got 1080 on my monitor at home and 1050 at work.

to be honest i can't recall if the menus at work were the same as at home, but i wonder if the smaller res displays the menus better?

8. djyoshii

djyoshii Member

Couple of days ago Chrome started freezing up and crashing all the time, not the 'aw snap!' message but pretty much just coming up as 'not responding' under task manager.
    Had a look into it and it seems the memory usage continuously increases until it hits 1gb when it freezes up. Tried it with just one tab open and pc left alone, same thing happens.
    Chrome's inbuilt task manager shows that it's 'brower' that's the problem, 'tab' and all the plugins have steady memory usage.

Also happened about a month ago as well, same problem although i never checked memory usage (so pretty much an assumption). That previous time however, it would work stable if i was logged out of my google account, once signed back in it would freeze up every 10mins (confirmed this in event logs, same amount of time between freezes). Had to use FF for a week or two until it fixed itself (guessing there was an update in that time).

Any ideas what might be causing this or how to fix it? Only thing i remember changing on the day it started happening was updating Adobe Air, so i rolled it back but no change in Chrome.

9. looktall

could be a dodgy extension?

10. djyoshii

djyoshii Member

I thought that too hence why i also checked Chrome's built in task manager, but everything had a stable amount of memory usage (pretty much didn't fluctuate up or down), whereas it was 'browser' that continuously increased.

Guess I'll just stick with FF until an update rolls out and (hopefully) fixes it again.

EDIT: ok just tested it by disabling all extensions, and still has the same issue.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  11. jimbogimp

jimbogimp Member

So I visit ABC iView pretty much every day and it never turns up in my most visited pages yet I've got websites in there that I haven't been to for weeks.... what gives?

12. .Spada.

.Spada. Member

Last edited: May 5, 2013
  13. Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

Works fine for me...

14. Blah72

Blah72 Member

I honestly cant express how much i wish this browser was a physical thing so i could smash it. I've always loved Chrome but i never noticed something until just now. After writing a few forum replies and some short answers to some quizes and applications in my browser, i accidentally clicked the red cross at the top while switching windows. Bam. its all gone, no prompt to ask if i want to close, just instantly all my tabs and replies that were in them are now lost.

I just wanted to express my current rage. I'm actually never going to use this browser again, its such a simple feature and a simple mistake that can happen at any time, which is probably why every other application and browser i've ever used prompts before you close a window etc.

15. tr3nton

tr3nton Member

So you have multiple tabs with partially filled out forms, and then click the close button... right.

Even though you seem to have already made up your mind, this has on option to prompt before closing multiple tabs: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/chrome-toolbox-by-google/fjccknnhdnkbanjilpjddjhmkghmachn

16. Blah72

Blah72 Member

Yes, its my mistake but its no excuse for chrome not having such a basic feature. And from reading the comments about that add-on it seems to be one of the main reasons people use that, so im certainly not alone.

17. power

power Member

conversely, I don't need a nanny prompt and applaud the lack of one.

18. Blah72

Blah72 Member

Well its good your so grown up you don't need it, its hardly a nanny prompt, its like MS word without auto save, you don't need it most of the time but occasionally it can crash or something and your glad its there. Sometimes when multi tasking with lots of windows you might hit the close button by accident. At least an option would be nice.

19. power

power Member

confirmation dialogue boxes can go diaf.

Here you go, I hit close when I didn't want to close button

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/window-close-protector/lnpifgapnmpninomacbhdlconlpikdai

or this

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/chrome-toolbox-by-google/fjccknnhdnkbanjilpjddjhmkghmachn

feel free to cry more about it here

http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/PaR0wWEGSE4

Last edited: May 9, 2013
  20. Blah72

Blah72 Member

I don't know what your problem is with having such a simple feature that 90% of browsers/apps have.