Google Drive - Painful!

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by newgen, Jul 24, 2015.

1. newgen

newgen Member

Hi guys,

I'm in the process of migrating a small business to Google Apps for Work. Email migration is slow as, and Google Drive sync is just as bad or even worse! As part of this I'm migrating about 500GB of data from a Windows file share to Google Drive. The file share will be shared with staff in Google Drive, and each staff member will have the Google Drive app installed on their computers for offline file access to their own Google Drive space. Some things I've noted with Google Drive:

- Uploads and downloads are generally speaking slow as hell (even on a 400/400 fibre link)
    - Browser uploads and downloads using Chrome work much faster than the Google Drive desktop app - still slow. Have sped this up by uploading from multiple computers.
    - No indication of transfer speeds or much detail at all.
    - The annoyance with duplicate files/folders (totally understand why it does it, but it's still annoying).
    - Uploading 500GB worth of data, the transfers tend to time out and stop, there's no way of checking for duplicates if I re-upload the files again.

So it's an annoying situation. There are a couple of things I've considered:

- Copying the network share to a computer and configuring the Google Drive desktop app to point to that folder. This will sync the files up however 1. it'll be slow as, 2. there's still the problem with possible duplicates when I refresh updated files from the file server to this computer using Robocopy (I don't want to configure Google Drive on the file server itself).
    - Using a command line tool like Gdrive to upload the files - this will help with upload speeds but doesn't solve the issue with duplicates as all it does is transfer files, not synchronize.

Hope this makes sense.. has anyone else gone through the same? Keen to hear from anyone who has and if anyone has any suggestions.

Cheers

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  2. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

We've did an Exchange -> Google Apps migration about 2 years ago. I can't remember what we had at the time, data wise, but today it says we have just shy of 4TB of storage (email plus documents).

I didn't have any problems at the time. We have a measly 100Mbit/s fibre connection (TPG). These days we push and pull a lot of stuff, and it's generally pretty good (I haven't done anything at bulk in a long time, though).

3. OP
    OP
    newgen

newgen Member

Thanks Elvis. Was this the DR situation with the QLD floods a while back?

The GAMME tool works OK, it's just the slowness.

With Google Drive I've been reading up online a lot and the general consensus is that it's dreadfully slow, apart from some people in various countries getting decent speeds (some are using gigabit fibre though). So there must be a geographical disadvantage here in Oz. On top of that it does hog a lot of CPU and memory resources. Love the Google platform and use it for my business with integration with my other business apps, this is the first largish data migration I've done to Google Drive though, not impressed.

Have also added firewall rules for Google Drive and Docs etc, no difference. Also tried changing the connection setting from 'auto detect' to 'direct connection' in the Google Drive app and it made no difference. *shrug*

4. NSanity

NSanity Member

OneDrive - in my limited experience - is just as awful.

5. scottath

scottath Member

We use Google Apps for Education here, and its likewise slow.
    Using a shared account for faculty shared folders etc (100GB or so), and each staff member uses Google drive as something of a backup of their own work (and other shares on onsite servers too) - but constantly have issues with the app crashing (OSX/Windows) - some were firewall related, but its normally just the app crashing that is the issue.
    100/100 Fibre here also, speeds can be super at times, but usually it'd be at dsl sort speeds, even when there is plenty of spare bandwidth.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  6. Primüs

Primüs Member

I use drive just as a consumer, and can pull a full 300mbit to / from it from our Sydney DC (1Gbit connection to them via IX)

Edit: Capture the IP of the node you are uploading to and see if its going local/overseas etc and have a look at the network path its taking.

7. dephilile

dephilile Member

Just curious. When was the last time you used it? I use it for my personal stuff (no experience using it for a business) and I'd agree that in the beginning it was pretty bad (painfully slow to update), but I find it is much much better now. I have about 100GB of stuff on onedrive.

8. NSanity

NSanity Member

Troubleshooting shit for clients atm.

Issues such as individual files that never sync (so far the fix is to resync the share)
    'This shouldn't take long' taking 6-10 hours on large share initial syncs
    IPad app can't see 'shared with me' (Android can)

This is on a 4-5GB share, approx 19k files.

9. OP
    OP
    newgen

newgen Member

Ouch. I'm also doing a 100-seat O365 + One Drive for Business migration soon, how is it uploading a smaller amount of larger files? My understanding of Google Drive and uploading a large amount of files taking longer is because it's not a normal straight copy, it creates unique identifiers, meta tags and URLs for each document (which is why it doesn't recognize duplicates) so that slows it down, but with a smaller amount of larger files it's slightly faster.

10. NSanity

NSanity Member

Look, it might be connectivity issues for this client (they are predominantly 4G/ADSL1) that is exacerbating the whole issue - but i don't have a data set to set otherwise.

But @ 20k files per share, I don't know how anyone could recommend OneDrive for Business to anyone outside of SMB.

11. elvis

That was 2 employers back. :)

Current employer was a business decision to outsource annoying internal tools that were time consuming, unnecessary, and commodity. E-mail was at the top of that list.

12. tobes

tobes Member

Last Sunday I uploaded 500Mb of files to both Onedrive and Google Drive at the same time.

OneDrive was fully synced in under half an hour including the download to a second laptop. Google Drive still isn't fully synced on uploading from primary or downloading on secondary.

13. elvis

What ISPs are you guys using?

When I resolve various Google things, it all points to next-hop for me, so all my stuff appears co-located.

14. OP
    OP
    newgen

newgen Member

TPG and their Fibre400 service here.

15. tobes

tobes Member

Admittedly mine was 'node ADSL

16. scottath

scottath Member

Mine has 11 hops before getting to Google. All in Sydney too...

17. OP
    OP
    newgen

newgen Member

Only 7 hops here.

18. greebs

greebs Member

Use my One Drive for Business on a daily basis (still hosted in SG). 20k+ files, around 20G worth. No issues at all. Have Google Drive running as well, but only a handful of files. Use them both at home (Tesltra ADSL2+) and at work (more bandwidth than you can poke a stick at).

19. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

OP.
    have you already got the google drive client installed and synching on the client machines while you're doing the upload?

if so, you're smashing your link in both directions.

20. TehCamel

TehCamel Member

I concur with this man