Google Drive - Painful!

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by newgen, Jul 24, 2015.

1. OP
    OP
    newgen

newgen Member

Nah, we're syncing all the mailboxes and file share data first and doing a full cutover.

2. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

I had some serious issues merging mailboxes using their GAMME tool. I had one ISP that wouldn't want to talk to the Google Apps servers at all, and another that regularly dropped out. It did eventually all go over and things are fine now, but that week was painful.

3. Dre_

Dre_ Member

Gmail has a 2GB a day limit per mailbox before they throttle it when pulling data out of Google, possibly a throttle going in too?

4. NSanity

NSanity Member

apparently you can use Google Checkout and get an MBox file...

5. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

The GAMME documentation says that you can only transfer one email per second. Multiple streams can be used to get around this, but if you've got a lot of mailboxes with a lot of emails, it can certainly be slow. It's usually not a big deal if it takes a few days though.

6. OP
    OP
    newgen

newgen Member

OK, if anyone is planning to roll out Google Apps for an organisation, even a small one, feel free to hit me up for advice and pointers. Email is great, however Google Drive and it's strange ways of doing things and lack of admin controls is a killer. Such a nightmare! If you're just doing it for email you might as well go O365 for a little more and get the added benefits of Office.

This is coming from someone who runs a small consulting business on Google Apps.. :/

7. scottath

scottath Member

Have they changed anything that anyone has noticed in the last few weeks?
    Syncing a large number of files seems to continue to time out/"Unable to connect" of late in our environment.
    Thinking it would be related to our UTM/Firewall/SSL inspection box, but everything documented is allowed for Google Drive - just seems particularly flaky in the last week, and not great the last 3 weeks or so....?

8. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Regular "Google Drive", or "Google Drive for Work"? The two are different, and the latter has extended admin tools that aren't in the regular product.

9. OP
    OP
    newgen

newgen Member

Google Drive as part of Google Apps for Work.

10. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Ah OK, so that's the lower end product.

The higher end product pushes the price from $5 per month per user to $15 per month per user, but includes a much deeper set of management tools for enterprise users (as well as unlimited space).

https://www.google.com/work/apps/business/driveforwork/

There's a free trial available if you want to try it out.

11. OP
    OP
    newgen

newgen Member

Nah that's the version. The version in use is actually Google Apps for Work with Vault. There are a few annoyances I've come across, these two are the main ones:

You can't push sharing permissions settings to subfolders/no inherited permissions:

- I created a folder in the root of the admin account's My Drive.
    - I shared it with individual staff member accounts (only 12 in total) and gave them VIEW permissions only in the lead-up to cutover so that staff could get a feel for the look and feel of the folder structure in Drive while all the data was syncing across from the existing Windows file share.
    - When I go to change the sharing permissions from VIEW to EDIT, it only applies to the folder I apply the setting to, there's no way to have the permissions flow down to subfolders.
    - I created a GROUP for all staff with every staff member as a member, gave that EDIT permissions in the parent directories, the VIEW settings over-ride the EDIT settings it seems and muddles things up. For example, a user can be browsing a folder but not see any of the contents within the folder. However, they can go to the sharing settings and change their permissions from VIEW to EDIT and then have view/edit access to the folder contents.
    - Even if I create a new parent directory with the right permissions and copy the contents of the existing folder across, they retain their sharing permissions. Pulling my hair out trying to figure out how to change these settings as there are a considerable amount of folders and files, Google support had no solution. Currently looking at BetterCloud but the initial sync is taking ages.

There's no way to hide the activity stream in the 'Shared with me' folder.

You used to be able to filter what appeared in the activity stream in the previous version of Google Drive but that feature's been removed. I understand the reasons why it does this, but it is frustrating when users don't want their activity showing and there's no admin control to choose whether it displays or not.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
  12. quickshot84

quickshot84 Member

I'm sorry I didnt see this thread earlier.
    I look after several clients (primary schools) who are all on Google Apps for Education (Basically GAFW but with free unlimited storage because education)

I haven't looked after an exchange > gmail migration yet as we have an exchange guy who does that.

When I've been migrating school to drive, the way I've handled permissions for 99% of folders is by doing it all through group permission and not allow individual users to be shared.

As long as you set it up from the beginning with the correct permissions; it will subfolders will inherit permissions
    The same should apply for when removing permissions; if you remove the permission from the top level folder, it'll remove from all subfolders

For example, in the below if you applied to the Main folder View permissions to the group "Staff" and then decided "I still want all staff to see everything in Stuff 1 and Stuff 3 but not Stuff 2" You can remove the View permissions from "stuff 2" and the subfolders will inherit the permissions of the "Stuff 2" folder and will no longer see any of its contents.

Main Folder
    - Stuff 1
    - Stuff 1-1
    - Stuff 1-2
    - Stuff 2
    - Stuff 2-1
    - Stuff 2-2
    - Stuff 3

This is the way is SHOULD work. Of course when you start putting user accounts in individually, it can cause all sorts of headaches.

If possible try to use groups as much as possible; if you have customers, give them their own group.

About 2-3 weeks ago, Google also gave an option at the bottom of the advanced sharing screen to not allow users to re-share folders which also stops the drive sharing mess a lot.
    I've had staff from one school leave but before leaving share the entire school's drive account to their personal account (as this setting didnt exist previously)
    At a later audit I found that their new school google account had permission to various folder that they should've have anymore.
    This of course kicked up a big thing from the school about IP which got quite nasty..
    This setting sadly you have to apply to every single folder. If there are several subfolders you can do them all at once luckily but it won't inherit the top level folder setting.

[​IMG]

Please let me know if you have any questions too as I've also gone through a lot of trial&error to get things working.

13. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

Yeah they really need to sort the permissions in Google Drive. I can definitely see this as being problematic for certain users. I have no issues with it at the moment but greater control would definitely be a plus. I'm pretty sure Google are working hard at bringing it up to more enterprise standards but it might be a little while before that happens.