Google Galaxy Nexus (1.2Ghz DC, 4.65" Screen, 5MP, Android 4.0 ICS)

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by barit, Aug 24, 2011.

1. mr626

mr626 Member

This may have been covered already (apologies if it has) but how do you all find the camera on the Nexus? A few of the reviews I've read weren't very impressed with it.

2. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

I'm leaning more towards the Nexus, just don't want to go backwards from the Desire, I would like to use the phone to log my journey with Sports Tracker so hopefully it will last a few hours with GPS running and listening to music. Ideally I would like to transfer tracks to the mobile and not rely on bloody inet to store my data.

Hrmm, on a $59 Voda plan, you get the Nexus and a free PS Vita http://shop.vodafone.com.au/cart?_requestid=17713 , I don't know if I can handle being on Voda again though.

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  3. mmBax

mmBax Member

I'm very happy with it, again, coming from a HTC desire it wasn't hard to improve. But its very quick and meters quite well.

As for gps and music with battery, can't help you with that yet, I will say though, I got 22 hours out of a battery yesterday before charging. Easily could have gotten more. The 7 or so hours I was asleep and didn't touch it, the battery hardly lost any charge. The desire would have went flat at 4am and my alarm wouldn't have went off.

4. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

What's the ringer speaker like compared to the Desire? still tinny and shite? The mass storage thing looks like a pain in the arse.

5. mmBax

mmBax Member

Can't really say, my desire blew the loudspeaker about 6 months ago, so comparisons would be hard to make.

The nexus speaker does seem pretty good though, but its also one of my only gripes. Its Max volume seems low. Max ringing volume and notification menu is about 60% of what I'd want it to be.

This phone is definitely growing on me though.

6. FuzzyKaos

FuzzyKaos Member

Changing ROM's over has increased the volume for me.

I have tweaked some of the kernal settings, ie overclocking and such.

The only time I have noticed any excessive heat, was when using the maps navigation, it was in use for about 15 minutes and it was very hot, on the plus side the navigation was smooth as silk.

7. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

There must be boosters out there..
    That Verizon batt extender looks ok, 2100mah for $30-50USD.
    meh http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/12/galaxynexushvsl08.jpg

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  8. Raolin

Raolin Member

I also came from a Desire. I find that a full charge on the Nexus lasts longer, though I have Wifi, GPS, NFC, Bluetooth, etc always off with Tasker profiles to switch them on/off when needed (had the same with the Desire).
    Regarding the speaker: I find the notification volume to be plenty loud, but the actual ringtone for phone calls almost inaudible. Annoying, since they are controlled by the same slider.

9. akoli

akoli Member

Camera

I find the camera pretty poor compared to the SG2 and Iphone 4/S , it has a yellow tinge in low light and a lot of noise in the photos... flash is better than the SG2 in respect to not blinding people .. the SG2 stays on for a good second or two so most photos are people squinting ... outside and in good light their not too bad ... but i would say it is in 3rd place overall....

10. mtoti

mtoti Member

I think the camera is rubbish, certainly not up to iPhone standards. It is my biggest disappointment with a phone I otherwise love :(

11. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

With AKOP and Franco Kernel I can get roughly almost 2 days out of mine with minimal usage, day and a bit with moderate usage.

12. hobo man

hobo man Member

I dunno, I reckon it's ok.

Have a scroll through here

There are some shockers, but most are pretty good, I recon its got better with the 4.0.4 update too

EDIT: Has anyone had a play around with that ParanoidAndroid ROM?

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  13. Carey

Carey Member

Yeah the camera is terrible in low light. It's not too shabby in well lit situations though, nice and clear. Coming from the Desire also (upgraded before Christmas), the battery lasts longer and the phone is just so smooth. People complain about the graphics and only 1.2GHz but at 1.35GHz and any decent ROMs this thing is *almost* smooth as silk across everything.

Still loving it, and IMO the best looking phone on the market so far.

14. sanjay

sanjay Member

the TI OMAP processor in the GNex is rated for up to 1.5ghz (the identical processor runs at 1.5ghz in a few phones) so feel free to crank the dial all the way to 11 on that one :D

15. Danske

Danske (Taking a Break)

In direct sunlight (1pm) I took some pics of food and it came out fairly good, like really damn good...

In any other condition the camera blows.

16. mmBax

mmBax Member

17. mr626

mr626 Member

Hmm, pics don't look too bad at all. As for the low light performance...well its still a phone, I don't expect low light conditions to be good.

18. MagyaR

MagyaR Member

If you guys had the option again, with the experience with the pros and cons & knowledge, would you buy the Nexus again?

19. James086

James086 Member

Yes if I rewound time to when I bought it. I would get either the SGS3 or the HTC OneX now though.

20. hobo man

hobo man Member

Even now, I'd still go the nexus.

Vanilla Android is a big plus, as well at the fact it'll get Jelly bean in a timely manner (we'll see how long it takes for sense/touchwiz on the Onex/S3 to be upgraded).

Plus with the current price of the Nexus, you are getting a hell of a lot of bang for buck.