Google has cancelled Music Play. Please suggest a new app to play music already on my phone

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by Joe 98, Oct 11, 2020.

1. Joe 98

Joe 98 Member

I have an Android based Samsung phone. I have a few songs saved to my phone
    Google has cancelled the Music Play app.
    I am sure the meeting went "This is a fabulous app. Lets cancel it!"

Can anyone suggest a music app, without subscription, to create playlists and play music on my phone?

2. guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

Rocket player

3. ThE_BiG_O

ThE_BiG_O Member

4. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

5. Sankari

Sankari Member

6. Radley

Radley Member

I'm pissed off. Google Play Music was an awesome no bullshit music service and they went and fucked it by forcing YouTube Music which somehow has an even worse UI than Spotify.

kbekus and DarkSnipa like this.
  7. The Sentinel

The Sentinel Member

When you say you have a few songs saved to your phone, do you mean that majority of your music would normally be streamed, or that you just play your music locally?

If you mean the latter, Give PowerAmp a try.
    (I only play my music from local storage)

8. Smoothie

Smoothie Member

Doubletwist was what I used for a fair while - now, youtube music just give in - lifes just one subscription

th3_hawk likes this.
  9. Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

You can also use vlc.

10. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Before I gave in and just moved over to YTM, I liked Phonograph and Shuttle.

Both have some pretty major issues on certain Android 10 devices at the moment because of a bug in the Android Media Store, though. Players that don't use the Media Store (PowerAmp, DoubleTwist) might be a better choice for now.

11. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

Sad but true. And yes, YTM is a bit of a dumpster fire... I know on iPhone I'm still pressing the button (every damn time) to keep using Google Music for as long as I can, but I really need to embrace the inevitable. I still pay for it, as a family subscription, partly because it provides music but in no small part because it means there are no ads on Youtube.

Smoothie likes this.
  12. bYrd

bYrd Member

Musicolet is pretty good for offline music playback; free no ads basic usable interface.

Funnily enough I'm all for streaming of video but not for music - I really like having all my music collection on hand.

13. doug81

doug81 Member

I like Dub Music Player - free, and has a decent equaliser. Kinda like the look of it too, but might not be for everyone...

14. spookware

spookware Member

Sorry late to the thread. Apple music is where most people I know are going after Google pulled the pin....

I know, I know, Apple, but like Google Music, they allow me to upload any music I have MP3s of. That includes all the tracks I bought from bands I love (usually through bandcamp, or ripped CDs) who aren't on streaming services yet.

Just import them into the music app on my laptop, sync my library, and boom those tracks are available everywhere, just like google music. I actually like it better, since it's an actual app and I don't need to upload the tracks through chrome – I don't use chrome, I use firefox, and I used to have to use chrome just to upload my music.