1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Google Home

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by EvilGenius, Oct 17, 2016.

1. drrevenge

drrevenge Member

I understand where you're coming from. I wouldn't get one either. But that being said, I have other items in my house that do the hello siri/google thing, and laptops have cameras and microphones. TV's that have microphones in them as well. Not to mention with everything being wireless it can be snooped upon as well. Not to mention posts on forums and social media these days also.

I don't consider myself interesting enough to be spied upon.

I don't really see it (or the coming Apple variant) as a fad gadget.

Besides, you know what they say: It's not really paranoia if they are coming to get you. :)

2. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

No? :lol:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  3. BuZeR

BuZeR Member

This +1

Glad I am not the only person! :lol:

4. the scotsman

the scotsman Member

Having it set to Aussie language means you lose half of it's capability. It can't do anything smart yet, no assistant integration, no AutoVoice integration, no shortcuts, nothing like that.

I'm probably going to hold off until all that is enabled for Aussie region.

5. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

You as individuals? No, you're not very interesting.

You as part of a demographic? Yes, you're very interesting, and very profitable.

You need to think a lot bigger than your individual movements. "Big data" collection is about finding patterns in what consumers do. But in order to be a part of that pool of patterns, first your individual movements need to be collected.

It's not as nefarious as some would try to make you believe. But don't be fooled into thinking just because you appear "boring", that your habits, movements and representative data isn't interesting to companies who make big dollars out of ensuring you see the right ads for the right products.

And once that data has been used and analysed by one company, it can be sold to others. This buying of second-hand collected data is now, in and of itself, a big business.

6. bcann

bcann Member

my real concern is the background recording being done passively to "Help improve our device". Whilst i don't think i'm terribly interesting by myself, like elvis said what me and my family do/say/buy/mention might be of interest if we say were looking for a car in general conversation and suddenly i'm getting spammed with car ads.

My other concern is when my daughter brings over her boyfriend and i say "Touch her and they'll never find your body" and in my google search history pops up "Body hiding locations" and her boyfriend doesn't turn up at school the next day and i'm a gonner.

7. AzzX

AzzX Member

Does it work if you speak in a posh English accent - like James Bond.

I am assuming it integrates well with chromecast devices - eg play apotify on Home Theater 1 and stuff like that.

8. fuzzyt

fuzzyt Member

Got mine from Kogan about a month ago....

'TELL ME A JOKE' is a fountain of DAD jokes...

I use US settings to make use of the IFTT and Logitec Harmony remote stuff.

Also using for LIFX bulbs and Spotify.

9. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

Set it up this afternoon and played around with it with the kids. Trivia game is fun, spotify is useful, the usual google questions is good. Strange it can't do some things like calendar though. Will be keen to see what gets added to it over time.

10. altefour

altefour New Member

Seriously conflicted between having a new shiny thing and having privacy.

11. the scotsman

the scotsman Member

How does this invade your privacy?

You think Google employees people to sit and listen in on random Google Home conversations?

It's no different to Gmail or browser cookies. It tracks and uses keywords etc to tailor ads or track usage for statistical reasons. Nothing more.

12. altefour

altefour New Member

:lol: I don't think it's as sinister as that. I'm wary about GPS, cookies, etc, regardless though. I can't help being paranoid.

13. elvis

This already happens on Android/iPhone.

Yes, really.

Well, the data has to be collected initially. How you feel about that is up to personal interpretation.

I side with you, which is I'm OK with certain data of mine being held for statistical analysis. In fact, if it means I get better ads, I'm all for it. I *laothe* advertising aimed at "normal people", and would much prefer to see ads for the sorts of nerdy things I'm interested in, rather than the (subjectively) banal crap that's advertised to the average person my age. As they say, people don't hate advertising. They hate bad advertising. I wouldn't even bother with an ad-blocker if ads weren't a combination of (a) crap I didn't care about and (b) a vehicle for malware. If Google's data collection means I get "better" (more targeted, more meaningful to me) ads, then I see that as a good thing in a world where almost everything is ad-sponsored.

But, I also understand why people have issue with the data being collected *at all*. I (sort of) trust Google, but what if that data was stolen by someone else? Also, what's legal today isn't always legal tomorrow. If something I take for granted now is held for 10 years, and in some weird change of government/law becomes illegal, and is dragged out of storage, that's an issue.

I personally rate that scenario low risk/likelihood, but I completely understand why some people take issue with it.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  14. OP
    OP
    EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

I've had to check my own hypocrisy on this topic. I'm basically all in on Google, have been as long as there has been google services. Of course I spat the dummy when microsoft started collecting just as much data. I guess it boils down to I 'trust' google and don't trust microsoft. It's all the same shit though.

15. trevor68

trevor68 Member

And the winner of best and most valid privacy concern goes to....................:lol:

16. elvis

Ignoring the vendor-specifics of your sentence there, this is an internal debate many folks are having.

Consider that all the big vendors, including car manufacturers, are working on voice control. If I gave anyone a list of say, 20 companies, they would probably quite quickly come up with a "trust" vs "don't trust" list.

Even for a single vendor, that changes. My trust levels for any vendor change over the years, often in both directions, and then back again. It's hard to make an informed decision about it all, and not just fall back to emotion based on recent events. But I guess that's what happens in the absence of objective fact.

17. chargin

chargin Member

I got a couple today, I have 3 now, one was a USA version, imported. My 2 new ones are talking in the American accent though, when I first turned them on though I heard the Aus lady....
    Do I have a setting somewhere that I need to alter to get a true Australian version for news etc etc?

18. the scotsman

the scotsman Member

I don't have one, but I would assume it's taking the setting from the language setting in your Google Home app.

Note that if you're using Australia, you're not getting as much functionality as US. We won't get full functionality for a couple of months. But if you're happy with what we've got then I'd say the language setting is what you need to change.

19. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

In it's current state I don't really see anything that Google Home would do for me, to make it worth purchasing. Maybe later with enhanced features yes, but currently no thanks.

20. chargin

chargin Member

yes that was it, she now speaks "strayin" but asking for news still gives American news not Australian, so yes sounds like its not quite setup as a local product yet.

I put one in the TV room so we can just pause movies and ask when a movie was made or an actors name or age etc etc.