Google Home

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by EvilGenius, Oct 17, 2016.

1. Ravennoir

Ravennoir Member

Picked up the Home Mini and Hue today

Super easy to setup and only a few niggles

I found that it couldnt see my Nvidia Shield at first, and to add it through the app to get it all working
    There have been a few things it didnt do correctly, but I think it is slowly getting used to me

The shortcuts are funny, I have it set to turn on the lights when I say "illuminate", and If I say "TV Time" it turns on the shield (which does the TV too)

2. OP
    OP
    EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

You should be able to go all harry potter on it if you want as well. 'Lumos' to turn your lights on, 'Nox' to turn them off. Silencio to mute.

Big list of other random stuff here too:

https://www.reddit.com/r/googlehome/wiki/eastereggs

3. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

EvilGenius likes this.
  4. Scandrew

Scandrew Member

Just recently grabbed the Google home mini twin pack for $74 @ OW.

I've linked them with my existing 2 x Chromecast 2 and a Chromecast audio and for the price I can't complain. It's a cheap way to do audio throughout the home and to also have quick access to weather/news/radio and to resolve any random queries. My kids love messing about with it, as well to play music and casting Peppa Pig on the TV, lol.

I find having the flexibility of multiple Mini units (for the same price as 1 Home) for different rooms more useful for my purposes. i.e kitchen for recipes, bedroom alarm/reminder, bathroom radio music, etc.

What other cool things are people doing with theirs?

5. OP
    OP
    EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

I went nuts over christmas putting them all over the house. Can use them as an intercom, like 'hey google, announce to *name of speaker*/*all* dinner is ready', google says sure no worries, and the intended speaker/s set off a chime and say come and get it! Other than that, just what you're using it for. You can also use it to control media you're casting though, so if I get up to use the bathroom or whatever, 'hey google, pause *name of chromecast*'.

6. guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

Hm I can't seem to be able to get a broadcast message to just a single speaker. It keeps sending the message to all the speakers

7. OP
    OP
    EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Actually I couldn't tell you whether I've done that successfully or not either... I've read about it, and tried it, but I'm only ever in ear shot of 2 at once, so I couldn't tell you whether the rest of the house was chiming in as well lol. I'll have to grab a volunteer and try again. Nice to know though :Paranoid:

8. guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

Ah fair enough. Cheers tho. I didn't know about the announcement thing at all.
    I wonder if this works if I make the announcement on my phone while out of the house. Scare the kids. Lol

9. OP
    OP
    EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

I have tried off my phone to 'all', that did work. I was sitting 6ft away from the only speaker I had at the time though :p

10. Multiplexer

Multiplexer Member

I just got a google home mini from purchasing a Pixel 2 XL. I have not yet open the google home mini as I am considering selling it. But before I do, can someone tell me what I can use it for? Asking weather? Why not check the phone?

I do have a Sony Android TV will the home mini enhance the TV experience? Note Sony Android TV is slow.

11. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

So, the big thing I still don't get with the Google Home is: when you ask it something which isn't a command, it says "sorry I don't understand that yet". Why doesn't it bounce your query to Google Search and give you the first hit? That would make it a zillion times more useful.

12. Scandrew

Scandrew Member

Asking weather, set alarms/reminders, play music. It’s obviously everything you can do with a phone but all hands free and as it’s own standalone unit. I recently bought the twin pack which works out to be $37 each - for that price it’s worth it as a stand-alone speaker plus all the other useful organisational features.

13. OP
    OP
    EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

I would guess they're trying to differentiate themselves from siri/alexa, who do exactly that. Their long term goal is to not need to bounce you to a google search, but rather actually be able to understand you no matter what you ask for. Why not do the same thing though? I think they're looking at the complaints about siri and alexa just giving plain search results rather than what the user asked for, and thinking right we don't want to fall into that same trap. Do what we can do, don't do what we can't, but put it on the list of things we need to figure out so we can do it in the future.

Edit: Just re-reading your post though, what sort of queries are you referring to? I mean, I can ask mine all sorts of menial questions and get answers. 'What's the highest mountain?', ' What's the longest river', 'who invented electricity', all result in actual answers.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  14. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

But searching is what google does better than anyone else. It's the reason they have the cash to play with all those other business models. :) I'd say about 50% of our Google Home interactions are searches, and probably 50% of those give an error rather than info. It understands the words, but it doesn't know what to do with them. Even just saying "I don't know, do you want me to search for that?" would be much more useful.

15. OP
    OP
    EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Sorry I was just editing my post above after re-reading your post. What sort of queries are you referring to?

16. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

We have two kids so quite often we descend into an endless stream of questions, perhaps not phrased the best, but well enough that they would give some info in text-Google. It's in the livingroom so I can't go yell at it at the moment for fear of waking up the aforementioned kids, but I remember one recent one was about how much taller Mt Olympus is than Mt Everest. We couldn't phrase it in a way that would result in anything other than an error. But if you feed that string into Google, you get an article excerpt which tells you it's 3x as high. Just things like that. Asking specific questions may be OK if it can parse your question, but if it can't, it should just send the string to normal Google and text-to-speech the first result excerpt. Which it does do sometimes, but more often than not it gives up when it's not a clear command.

That's different to the issue of it being a bit crap at searching for some things. Say "hey Google, what is Google's motto?" and you will get an excerpt about how the motto is used, but not the motto itself. In the text google it gives you the title of the page, which is the motto.

17. OP
    OP
    EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Ok, I just asked my google home that question, 'how much taller is mount olympus than mount everest'. It replied 'according to an excerpt from *some random site* mt olympus is 3x higher than mt everast.' Followed by a whole lot more. I told it to shut up.

I then asked it 'what is googles motto'. It replied 'according to wikipedia, don't be evil is googles corporate motto. It was introduced...' shut up google.

I guess there are a couple of possibilities, google home is giving people different responses, or google is just learning from the questions people ask and giving better results next time?

18. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

Hrm, interesting. Maybe I'll go get it and plug it in here in the AggCave and have a proper test without the kids trying to out-shout each other..

19. guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

It feels like the responses from the home are limited to improve user experience.
    If its unsure of a specific request, rather then spit out something irrelevant, it just says it can't do it.

20. stenchlord

stenchlord Member

Just asked "What is Google's motto?"

Got the same response. I've been using Google Assistant for a while though so you'd hope it was good at understanding what I what.