Google Home

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by EvilGenius, Oct 17, 2016.

1. OP
    OP
    EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

That's an interesting point too. I bought my folks a couple of google homes for christmas. At the moment they're tied to my account because I have spotify, neftlix etc, they can do more signed up as me. I was helping them unpack this afternoon and they asked what the new widget in the kitchen was and I was explaining google home to them. My mum has read about them and started explaining it to my old man. Mum rattled off half a dozen example 'hey google' commands, all in earshot of the google home mini, none of which it responded to. Yet when I talk to it intentionally it perks right up. At the time I thought it was a little odd, but maybe it's more aggressively filtering words and statements from people it hasn't trained itself to listen to on that account? I mean, doesn't stop it triggering randomly from the tv in the background, but maybe it's messing with people asking it questions?

Either that or google is as adept at tuning my mother out as my dad is :Paranoid:

2. stenchlord

stenchlord Member

The Pixel 2 has a specific "Voice Match" setting that will allow you to train/re-train your device to only recognise your voice specifically.

3. archie

archie Member

loving our two google home minis.
    just played a couple of rounds of trivia on it tonight to pass some time

great for keeping hands free while feeding our bub and playing some music, listening to news etc.

best ~$65 for 2x I ever spent I must say

4. OP
    OP
    EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Running into issues in my home now. I've basically taken a deep dive on google everything, there are now 4 google homes and 5 chromecasts. Add to that the various laptops, phones, tablets etc.. my home wifi just can't handle it. Currently using a netgear R7000, thinking an upgrade to a multi AP ubiquiti system is in order. Tired of having my tv cut out because I opened my phone to read a notification.

5. Sledge

Sledge Member

Can't believe OW have 1x mini for $78 and a 2x pack for $74 lol
    considering getting some tomorrow to try out

6. archie

archie Member

i scored 2x for ~$65 from big w but then the offer got pulled and they did honour it :D

7. Ravennoir

Ravennoir Member

I did see there was an issue with Chromecast and Home causing dropouts. Apparently there is a fix to be rolled out (not sure if it already has been)

EvilGenius likes this.
  8. StratosFear

StratosFear Member

Maybe hold off and see if the new update fixes it. There is an issue on Chromecast / Google Home devices at the moment

https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/7634752

http://www.tp-link.com/us/faq-2050.html

Also if you're not already running Tomato (or similar) on the R7000 you should :)

https://advancedtomato.com/downloads/router/r7000

EDIT: Beaten, but I put links :p

Ravennoir and EvilGenius like this.
  9. archie

archie Member

I switched my main chromecast to the ultra, just to avoid more potential wireless issues.
    The ultra uses ethernet :)

10. OP
    OP
    EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Might not even be a relevant problem for me any more. I upgraded my home theatre amp because I'd lost the front two channels on the old one. New one isn't passing the chromecast signal through to my projector :upset:

Never rains but it pours :(

11. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Pricing is certainly a bit surprising given that they aren't really that old.

12. OP
    OP
    EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

They will be a 'loss leader' product for google. They're banking on making more money from having you use them than they do from selling the device.

13. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Data/information mining :D

14. Sledge

Sledge Member

Yeah i was almost going to get them, but then decided they aren't really a 'need'
    would just be a toy really...

15. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

16. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

So my missus got one of these for free with her Pixel 2 phone. I'm struggling to think of a reason to connect it up. I don't have any home automation stuff yet.
    Our friends have one, but they spent most of the time just saying "OK Google, tell me a joke" trying to impress everyone as they arrived. That was all they could think of to do, other than set a timer for cooking. I suppose it was good for the chef who had his hands dirty.

I guess I need to get a connected amplifier to push through spotify requests.

17. OP
    OP
    EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Probably the most useful thing I've set up with mine is a woolies shopping list. Was a bit painful to set up as you need to tie it to a google account for every person you want to be able to contribute to it (so not just anyone can add items to your shopping list) but after that I've got it so everyone can add items to a single shopping list, remove once they've been purchased etc. Beats the hell out of the paper list stuck to the fridge that nobody remembered to grab before we went shopping etc.

I also use mine a lot for voice controls of chromecasts, if I get up to go to do something 'hey google, pause TV' or whatever.

18. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

yeah I need to have another look at the Google suite of apps. We already use Keep for our shopping lists. It's great because we can share the lists and each add to it as we think of things. I have a list for Groceriers, Bunnings, Movies and Series to watch/buy, and household items (Ikea, etc).

19. sanjay

sanjay Member

i mostly use mine to play spotify. i am always surprised at the decent quality of the speaker for some casual listening.

20. StratosFear

StratosFear Member

Got any more detail? I'd like to use it but the first time I did I realised it was creating a list for me and a list for my wife so I stopped. But if there is a way to have one list I'd use it.

My main uses include:

We have one beside the bed which is great for getting a quick news report, weather every morning, turning the bedroom light on/off, turning the bedroom aircon on/off. And as an alarm clock/music player.

The one in the kitchen is used for timers and podcasts.

I also find them getting more and more use to stream spotify across the house when cleaning etc. Sound quality isn't great but streaming in every room makes up for it.