Google Home

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by EvilGenius, Oct 17, 2016.

1. OP
    OP
    EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Define bulk manage?

2. Opticon

Opticon Member

Like applying a template to devices so:
    • Which speakers can and can't have guest mode enabled and/or let others control your media
    • Set default TV to 1 chromecast for a group and another for others
    • Which speakers I want my notifications etc enabled for

3. OP
    OP
    EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

I don't see that sort of management coming to them any time soon. They still haven't got them sharing context yet, although they're quite proud that you can now group them together and play music out of several at once..

4. Opticon

Opticon Member

Unfortunately I agree, it's kinda silly though considering they sold them in packs or bundles. If they could implement groups (whch i do use and like) then surely they could have a profile or template to apply to them at the same time. Of I can play or do anything do them at home even while I'm on the bus to work without issue through my phone then they should have a remote desired state config.

From what I've seen so far you can't even manage them from your Google web account, only the phone through the app and you have to go to each device individually

5. OP
    OP
    EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Right now I'd settle for them all being aware of each other.

If I set a timer in the kitchen, I'd like to be able to ask the lounge how long it has left, instead you get 'you don't have any timers'. If I have music playing to a group but I started it playing in the lounge, I'd like to be able to ask the kitchen to skip to the next track, instead you get 'nothing is playing right now *goes back to playing music...*'.

Generally I think the vast majority of people are going to set these things up once, maybe add in a trusted account or link a new bluetooth speaker or something, but for the most part they're set once and forget, so I don't see any overall management tweaks being too much of a priority.

6. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

guy.incogneto likes this.
  7. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Purchased it and now using in parallel with my Broadlink Blackbean. Can now issue voice commands to the Mini and control things like TV and other networked home appliances.

8. TomJ

TomJ Member

I just setup a Home Mini and a Chromecast Ultra at home.

I have the Chromecast plugged into one of the inputs on my receiver but I'm not getting audio. Anyone else have theirs setup that way and actually get sound from the speakers plugged into the receiver?

9. OP
    OP
    EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Do you mean you are casting to the chromecast and don't get any audio, or that you are trying to use the receiver/chromecast as the audio output for your home mini?

10. TomJ

TomJ Member

I setup my "living Room" with both devices and I can command the Home Mini to run Spotify or YouTube on the Chromecast.

The Chromecast is plugged into one of the HDMI inputs on the back of the receiver, my PS4 and PC are plugged in as well and I get audio from those. I need to try the Chromecast in one of the other HDMI inputs to rule out the receiver, I guess...

I get video but no audio...

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
  11. OP
    OP
    EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Ok in that case, it's pretty much exactly how I have mine set up. I have it plugged into an input of my receiver and everything just works™, video and audio.

12. TomJ

TomJ Member

Yup, borked input. Swapped it with PS4 and the Chromecast worked, PS4 didn't

Time for a new receiver!

13. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

How did the new receiver go?

14. TomJ

TomJ Member

Actually, I didn't bother with it for a while and attempted again. I found that the audio setting was in 'A' for Analog, not 'H' for HDMI. So it does work :lol:

15. alexb618

alexb618 Member

this is the best thing about google home for me, the standard google speaker was a bit flat sounding so its now just linked via BT to my proper hi fi. use it every single day.

16. Beanz

Beanz Member

Finally they have added filtering to the music, so you can block explicit songs. No more worrying about my 9yo listening to some song, then it going on to play NWA or something.

17. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I kinda think this is the sort of functionality you should have on a family friendly device such as this.

18. Beanz

Beanz Member

Absolutely, I was sorely disappointed when it didn't come out with it initially.

19. Calindor

Calindor Member

Been using the Lenovo Smart Display for a few months now, and am pretty happy with it. The sound quality out of it is fantastic, and as it's set up in the kitchen, it gets used mornings and afternoons/evenings for music (Spotify), timers and calendars.

I like that it can recognise my voice vs my wife's, and put items into the right calendars.

Upgraded the TV (to a new Sony) and AV Receiver recently, and can cast Youtube to the TV via Google Home. Receiver (Marantz) comes with HEOS, so that's now integrated with Spotify too, and can switch it all on by asking Google Home to play music on the Marantz.

20. OP
    OP
    EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

That's something I haven't got working with the yamaha musiccast system I have at home. I can wifi/bluetooth play music through spotify, just choose a device and off it goes, but if I ask google to play music on that device 'I don't know how to help with that right now'. :( Sadly it seems they're in bed with amazon and haven't bothered with google home integration.