Google I/O 2013

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by ewok85, May 16, 2013.

1. ewok85

ewok85 Member

Just started watching the keynote, some interesting new stuff coming!

Google Play API updates:
    • Google Maps Android API v2
    • Locations APIs
    • Google+ Sign-In
    • Google Cloud Messaging

0:27:00 - Google Cloud Messaging - Notification syncing; remove/confirm a notification on one device (dismiss a calendar event for example) and it will sync this action to all Android devices - very nice.

Google Play game services announced (0:28:00)
    • Cloud save
    • Achievements
    • Leaderboards
    • Multiplayer (Google provides the "servers" and matchmaking)

Crossplatform on Android, iOS and web - means people with different devices can play together.

0:31:00 - That awkward wait for a game to load, and then having the app crash.

Android Studio (0:34:00) - a code editor for Android, some incredible little features such as previewing icons and colors in the editor margin, live rendering of an application while you are working on the code, with lots of options for screen sizes making it very easy to make applications for different devices, and also for things like creating multi-lingual apps.

Google Play developer console changes (0:39:00)
    • Optimization Tips
    • App Translation Service (in-console option to request translation from vendors)
    • Referral Tracking (where are installs coming from)
    • Usage Metrics (like Google Analytics for apps)
    • Revenue Graphs
    • Beta Testing & Staged Rollouts (!)

Google Play UI updates - (0:46:30)
    • Visual updates
    • More personalisation (recommendations)
    • "Designed for tablets" filter (really? it took this long? ok...)
    • Browser updates coming very soon

Continued - Google Play Music changes - 0:50:40
    • Google Play Music - All Access
    Sounds like what I think Pandora does - you can play almost anything that they have, and it can make playlists based on what you like and what you have (on Google Music). $9.99/mth ($7.99 if you sign up sooner)

Official Android ASOP on other devices - 0:58:00

Bootloader unlocked Galaxy S4 direct from Google that will receive Android updates at the same time as Nexus devices. Lots of clapping - price $649 - silence... then laughter, yeah :)

Chrome on Android - 1:02:00
    Same experience on computers and Android with Chrome
    OpenGL on Android

Chrome - 1:09:00
    • WebP - New open image type which provides smaller images than JPG, supports transparency and animation! Wow...
    • VP9 - High compression video format
    • Mobile compression proxy - changes images and videos to smaller files, optimises html, css and whatnot to make a smaller download for mobile devices - testing shows a 46% reduction in data usage
    • Google Wallet for mobile improvement - one click purchasing
    • Web components - build your own html tags! Coming soon...

Chromebooks - the Pixel - 1:24:30
    Hardware giveaway - Pixel Chromebook

Google & Education - 1:26:00
    New initiative - Google Play for Education - a way to manage and control Android devices in education. Starts with a separate store with apps which are screened and recommended, and sorted by grade level.
    With using Google Apps for Education you can push apps out to groups of students, organise payments, etc.
    Also supports books and videos (eg. Youtube)

Chromebooks in Education - 1:32:00
    Malaysia as an example - Google Apps for Education, Chromebooks and 4G internet - easy, low maintenance, low cost

Google+ - 1:35:00
    • New stream (homepage)
    • New Hangouts
    • New photos

(Sorry, lost interest around here - just some search stuff)

Google Maps
    Interface overhaul
    Lots of little feature updates
    3D mapping - imagery overlaid on 3D models

Noticed this morning that my "Google Chat" is now "Google Hangouts" - new UI and icon. Also on the Play store is "Hangouts (replaces Talk)" - effing finally!

Last edited: May 16, 2013
  2. Zzapped

Zzapped Member

Looks interesting........sounds like iCloud, only it will probably work :)

3. OP
    OP
    ewok85

ewok85 Member

How so? Google has always had "iCloud" like functionality with a Gmail account:

Mail, contacts, messaging, calendar - Gmail and Google Calendar
    Documents, files - Google Drive
    Photos - Google+
    Music, Books, Apps - Google Play
    Music - Google Music

4. OP
    OP
    ewok85

ewok85 Member

Still only halfway through the keynote, but some very cool stuff coming up - the changes to the Play store for Education is going to be big - not only is it a massive opportunity for developers, it vastly simplifies getting technology in front of children.

I'm very impressed with the changes to Google+, the new UI has been rolled out and is very pretty - I like the idea.

I've been waiting a long time for the updates to Hangouts - single application across all devices and services - Gmail, Google+, Android and Chrome all use just "Hangouts". Finally, ugh.

Also, changes to the Google+ photo services is nice - I think I'm happy to stick with it. The idea of having algorithm to select the greatest images from a large album and "highlight" them is incredible!

5. Davo1111

Davo1111 Member

6. OP
    OP
    ewok85

ewok85 Member

7. Supplanter

Supplanter Member

So no real hardware announcements?

8. OP
    OP
    ewok85

ewok85 Member

It's Google I/O - mainly dev stuff, so no.

This years keynote felt much better than past events - much more developer focused, not treating the viewers as idiots, and much less hype. Page's QA time was interesting as well.

Last edited: May 16, 2013
  9. broox

broox Member

google education sounds cool. Will it be available to regular folk? or is it aimed at schools/businesses?

10. IKT

IKT Member

11. Reaper

Reaper Member

Nope. It's nothing but new sugar coated ways of information gathering. Nohing less and nothing more. All levels always come back to the core business of advertising and tracking/information.

12. OP
    OP
    ewok85

ewok85 Member

You should probably just stay off the internet all together then.

13. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

OK, I'm a bit of a Google fanboi I admit, but even I sat back and asked "WTF?" about this one.

They were a shit idea when other companies did them, and we really don't need this crap emulated by anyone any more. I get that companies copy easy-to-reproduce features (Nintendo does shoulder buttons on SNES, everyone else does shoulder buttons; Nintendo does analogue controls on N64, everyone else does shoulder buttons, etc, etc). But the whole "achievement unlocked" thing is just stupid.

Thank you for listening.

As for the rest of it - I want to see a dozen Ouya type consoles out there all running Android (with control pads and joysticks - screw touch).

14. Supplanter

Supplanter Member

No it isn't. :Paranoid:

15. 2SHY

2SHY Member

Agreed. Achievements are pointless way to extend the life of a game. Agreed with analog (buttons/joysticks) controls.

16. bueller

bueller Member

Really enjoyed watching this last night, was initially only going to watch the first hour or so and next thing I new it was like 3am.

17. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Penny Arcade did a comic a while back about "achievements in the good old days" being finishing a crazy-hard game. Now days you get achievements for pushing a button to trigger a QTE.

But anyways, I digress... clearly Google are looking to keep the ADD-afflicted Gen-Z interested with shiny trinkets that I can happily ignore. The rest of the stuff on that list looks great.

18. bueller

bueller Member

Achievements are a double edged sword, I hate when they are for stupid things like completing the first mission but then again I played Mark Of The Ninja recently and some of those achievements were damn challenging.

19. Supplanter

Supplanter Member

I have already received app updates that take advantage of the new achievement and match making services. Did developers get access to these before they were announced?

20. OP
    OP
    ewok85

ewok85 Member

Their goal was to create a complete gaming platform that app developers can take advantage of - achievements is just a small part of that. The bigger story is that Google has created a way for app devs to very easily add multiplayer to their games without adding extra cost to develop and maintain servers or any of that stuff - all the matchmaking and network things are done by Google.