Google Maps API help!

Discussion in 'Programming & Software Development' started by ya3, Jul 4, 2012.

1. ya3

ya3 Member

I'm tearing my hair out trying to create a map that;
    • plots multiple points based on a set of addresses (not coordinates, but street addresses that need to be geocoded); and
    • zooms and centers the map to fit all the points.

I've found plenty of tutorials which plot multiple points based on an array of coordinates (no geocoding) with zooming/centering, and tutorials that show how to plot multiple geocoded points but no zooming/centering. I've been trying to put it all together to do what I want, but it's my first time using Maps API and I'm extremely nooby at it.

So basically, I have a list of street addresses that need to be plotted on a map which automagically zooms and centers to fit them all.

Help would be muchly appreciated :) Thanks in advanced.

2. Zoltag

Zoltag Member

3. s3kemo

s3kemo Member

Just make sure you stick to a certain maps version. v3 is the latest but there's still a lot of v2 material on the net.

4. rooney39

rooney39 New Member

Interesting, had top do exactly that just recently.

You need to geocode the addresses first, then plot them on the map. We did this using c#, so I cant really help you out not knowing what language/methed you are using, but if you just chain the two actions together it works fine.

5. jezza323

jezza323 Member

Also played with this a while back when I was looking at buying stuff off craigslist a lot.

Combined a craigslist search, parsed out the address, geocoded, filtered based on distance from my home address (also geocoded) and then plotted onto a map with info from the original ad. Pretty easy to tie stuff together like that