Google Nexus 4 Phone - 4.7" Inch, 1280x768 320ppi, S4 Pro, 8MP, HSPA+, 8/16GB..

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by Danske, Oct 12, 2012.

1. James086

James086 Member

Haven't you installed Paranoid Android yet? :p

2. OP
    OP
    Danske

Danske Member

Nope, waiting for 4.3 which should be tomorrow I think.

3. kombiman

kombiman Dis-Member

Any changes worth noting in 4.3?

4. OP
    OP
    Danske

Danske Member

Not really haha. It's pretty ordinary update unless you're a bluetooth nerd.

I have zero blue tooth devices and I've never turned it on on my phone.

5. Treggs

Treggs Member

4.3 felt like 4.2.2 SP1 :p

6. mtma

mtma Member

You've never NFC transferred?

7. OP
    OP
    Danske

Danske Member

I have, once, and yeah you're right I saw BT turn on then, but other than that NFC is basically off 99.9999% of the time I use my phone and tablet :lol:.

The technology has a way to go til its mature, right now if they did Paywave/Paypass I'd be all over it like white on rice, as in, I just tap and walk away, not tap and choose a card and put in a pin and blah.

Unless I didn't get the memo, wtf else do you guys use NFC for?

8. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

one of our forum members has written an app that utilizes NFC in a very cool way :thumbup:
    stradale has 'msafe' on the play store - let's you keep passwords encrypted onto a NFC tag.

it still has a few rough edges but he's quite active in the development, and responds quickly to my wacko suggestions too :)
    edit - link https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.codfishworks.msafe

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  9. guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

initiate the transfer of files, images/contacts/videos
    make a nfc business card on your phone, or with a tag
    use tags to make custom profile or launch specific apps

10. Treggs

Treggs Member

11. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

w00t - presents from the DX mailman :leet:

Click to view full size!

Initial findings, I'll update in another post any longer term usage findings.
    Metrans MTW03 is a quality unit for sure. No flimsy creaking bodywork or the like, in fact these chargers are tiny. No included PSU unit, but the USB cable appears to be a quality unit

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

As would be expected, it charges very slowly on the stock N4 1.2 amp charger, when connected to a 2 amp charger it powers along quite nicely, initial mucking around suggests from 35% to 46% in 42 minutes, but i have been looking at the % on screen constantly :Paranoid:, taking screen shots and photos, and swapping to each of the three chargers (just to check they all work) so I'd expect that time to be a little shorter in practice.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

As others have experienced with wireless chargers and the smooth back of the Nexus 4 the phone rotates itself (clockwise), I'll be investigating if some glad-wrap (or other household item) on the top of the charger will provide enough grip to stop it sliding off. The base of the charger has a nice rubbery surface to stop it sliding around, its a shame they dont have a similar surface on the front.

DX experience has been great too, ordered on the night of the 15th, delivered today.
    Final verdict, you'd be mad not to get one, or three like i did :Pirate:

edit - i bought three at the 'bulkrate' dx have and paid via paypal. my total cost for three was AUD $82.50
    edit#2 - http://dx.com/p/metrans-mwt03-super...ansmitter-for-nokia-samsung-more-black-226778 is the SKU :)
    edit#3 - no PSU included in the SKU from DX, just the plate and the cable

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  12. Treggs

Treggs Member

Did they come with 2 amp adapters? If so I might have to get a couple of extras as I bought the wife an N4 this past weekend. She keeps eyeing off my orb.

I have found the Spigen Dual kit stops slipping on the orb but is still pretty slick on the screen. They last for ages too.

13. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

No PSU included. I have two 2 amp units from asus transformers and i'm using those.
    I'll give the stock N4 PSU (1.2amp) a run tonight
    update - 57% at 14:38 :)
    edit - treggs, you could always grab these off kogan - http://www.kogan.com/au/buy/usb-rapid-charger-three-pack/
    in fact i may just grab that too :)

14. Treggs

Treggs Member

Might be a plan. I found an AU touchpad charger on fleabay for my orb as I had to part with my Transformer charger when I sold it. Transformer charger did the job nicely with my orb.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/171036677312?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I've tried the charger that comes with the N4 with both my wireless chargers and it gets way too hot for my liking. Clearly overworking so I wouldn't bother using it.

Edit: here is the link for the Spigen. Cheapist I found and they turn up quick.
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/230933557527?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

15. OP
    OP
    Danske

Danske Member

Anyone got their update via OTA yet?

Tempted to adb side load it because I'm an impatient dickhead.

16. kombiman

kombiman Dis-Member

I'm home, on wireless and charging and still 4.2.2

17. darknebula

darknebula Member

Patiently waiting for Cyanogen :(

18. Dass Booty

Dass Booty Member

Great price. Let us know if anything goes wrong over the next three months. I've had quite a few dodgy things from ebay lately so I now have a hard time trusting really cheap products..
    No update here. I'm in no rush to receive it because my phone is working fine. :thumbup:

19. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

will do :)
    cheap? i think its a lot like when hdmi cables first came out. crazy prices. now things have settled down, and metrans are making a gen 3 product i figure they have the bugs ironed out for the most part (fingers crossed)
    metrans is a quality unit for sure, fit and finish is very good. They have a good name over on XDA for their earlier wireless chargers :thumbup:

I've solved the slipping problem to some extent, altho its a bit on the fugmo side :lol:
    I've put a rubberband around the circumference of the puck and have it positioned so the edge is just raised. It provides that small bit of resistance that is required.
    Im also doing a "in the 90%" top off charge with a 1 amp charger (huawei), nothing is getting hot. deceidedly luke warm in fact.
    I'll try to watch and see what the charger does once it hits 100%, that is, if it switches off or does a continuous top up - at 97% now :)

also, i did a quick distance check. the N4 shows as charging out to about 10~12mm from the puck. Thick cases need not worry :thumbup:

edit - didnt take long - ive gone ghetto http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showpost.php?p=15491342&postcount=897

20. Mr_LeE

Mr_LeE Member