Google Nexus 5 Phone - 4.95'', 1080p, 4G/LTE, 4.4 KitKat, Black/White 16/32GB

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by Danske, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Treggs

Treggs Member

Yeah I just read that too. I'm thinking with the number of people complaining about the size of the 6 an N5(2015) is more likely. They binned the silver program and might have something like the moto x 2014 on the shelf they could use.

If something happens to my N5 after production stops, I have no idea what I would buy to replace it. Would have to be something I could turn into a GPe version I think.

2. Dalork

Dalork Member

Same here, no way am I going to something the size of the N6 and I'm none too keen on that kind of pricing either lol.

Just looked at the play store and yep, only black 32GB "in stock"

Who knows what Google will do but there is certainly still room for them to have two offerings in the market. There has been a lot of static about the size/price of the N6

3. piglet1

piglet1 Member

Just picked up a second hand Nexus 5. The device just wouldn't charge over AC, as in it is always stuck at charging over USB even though i'm using the wall charger. Then it also won't charge on wireless charger - works only when it's turned off!

I'm not sure if it's hardware or software issue, if it charges fine on the Qi when turned off... must be something s/w related?

It's running Lollipop and not rooted or anything.

4. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

Wouldn't be hard to slap stock lollipop on a slightly restyled Moto X and put up a new Nexus 5, its already running close to stock anyway. Wouldn't be a major upgrade from an N5, but still a great device. I agree they should keep both devices on sale. Cover an ideal size for regular folk and a great phablet size.

5. OP
    OP
    Danske

Danske Member

I'm on lollipop/5.0 and I still have the issue. I have to go onto airplane mode and off to get my calls/sms/data back (even though I have "full bars"). Retarded thing lol.

Yeah on Helstra. Where is the Helstra version?

Only 4.4.4 here: https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

Same thing happened to my mates N5. Wifi shat it self and he got a refurbished N5 sent to him.

6. Dalork

Dalork Member

I use the Telstra network also but my N5 has been fine before 5.0 and just as good since.

Mind you 5.01 is about to be released with fixes for bugs, it's already gone OTA for some devices. It's meant to be OTA for the N4, side note my son's N4 still doesn't see the 5.0 update though my wife's worked fine (had to use a different carriers sim).

7. Treggs

Treggs Member

I was suggesting to flash the Telstra 4.4.4 and then use the normal OTA to get lollipop and see if it fixes your issue.

8. OP
    OP
    Danske

Danske Member

Ahhh right. Ok. I might just do that.

9. joiji

joiji magicu

I thought Telstra phones weren't updating to 5.0 OTA yet?

10. Dalork

Dalork Member

Your correct, but if you insert a different carriers sim you can access the standard OTA release of 5.0

I've never run any of Telstra's versions, yuck. Always just Googles OTA's and not had a single issue.

11. Rod911

Rod911 Member

I'm with Optus and my Nexus 5 has suddenly stopped saying that a system update (Android 5.0) is available. For around two weeks and on a daily basis, every time I turned it on or had it connect to the internet, the notification of a system update would pop-up. However, since around Tuesday or Wednesday this week (9 or 10 December), the notification has stopped.

Is it possible that those who have remained using 4.4.4 and ignored the OTA update to 5.0 will soon get a notification to update to 5.0.1?

12. Dalork

Dalork Member

Funny you mention that the 5.0 update is no longer showing up as of avail, my son just bought a nexus 4 refurb 2 days ago (turns out it was new but very old stock of the original N4 by the looks of it) and it needed all updates.

All showed up and worked fine except there was no 5.0 and it was last week 5.01 started to be slowly released OTA I read. I wonder if Google found there was too many people having bugs/issues with 5.0 and halted any further release/upgrades to it?

13. OP
    OP
    Danske

Danske Member

Any ideas why 5.0.1 is out for N4 and N6 but not N5? lol seems so bizarre.

I won't revert back to 4.4.4 until I try out 5.0.1, whenever it's out. If that still shits me I'm abandoning ship and getting an iphone 6! Jokes I'll go back to 4.4.4.

14. dukkie

dukkie Member

15. Kow

Kow Member

On it and side loading.

16. VIP3R

VIP3R Member

17. Sledge

Sledge Member

What does it fix?

18. Kow

Kow Member

Mainly Lag issues. I had better battery today and lag is been reduced.

19. oculi

oculi Member

does it fix any of the generic stupid lollipop shit everyone has been complaining about?

20. Dalork

Dalork Member

Do you mean problems or just features that some people dislike/find annoying?

I've been very happy with lollipop overall myself, on all my N5's/N4's and have not had any issues with the features and zero problems.

It can be hard to make all features suit everyone's own individual application, maybe a custom ROM may suit some people better.