Google Nexus 5 Phone - 4.95'', 1080p, 4G/LTE, 4.4 KitKat, Black/White 16/32GB

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by Danske, Sep 4, 2013.

1. always.all.in

always.all.in Member

This is the part purchased for repair:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/25170553...eName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Works well, though it isn't as bright as my mate's original screen, with a slight yellow tinge. Otherwise a doddle to fix.

For laughs, I had a crack at removing the original LCD screen with the damaged glass at work using a lab ceramic heater - ended up getting glass and glue everywhere. Also, it the LCD didn't work afterwards. Whoops.

2. Cranky

Cranky Member

That looks like a far better solution and seems to be about the same price a paid... feel stupid for not looking harder now. I found the link to the product I used (http://www.etradesupply.com/lg-nexus-5-d821-lcd-screen-and-digitizer-assembly-black.html) on whirlpool... Should have known better - I just stumbled on it and remembered I had the phone with the cracked screen in the draw and bought it...

The only thing with your link is it says it's for the D820, not the 821 - does it still all fit together fine?

My advise to anyone with a really cracked screen is to go with the product you bought. With mine, all the glass had shattered around both the top and bottom and the only way I could get it out was shard by tiny shard scraping it with a tiny screwdriver... absolute nightmare - would not recommend.

Really annoyed I didn't look around more and find the one you got... those tools would have been handy too, I was using all sorts of little bits of plastic etc. to pry things open...

3. always.all.in

always.all.in Member

All fits together perfectly. You reuse all the components from the original phone. It also comes with fresh double sided tape to reassemble the parts.

The little tool kits works well.

You're more patient than I am to try fixing the front glass, I'm impressed you gave it a crack. Does it all work?

4. Rusty X5

Rusty X5 Member

wow...i just went to look at my phone then...dead..lifeless...WTF...it was working fine like 2 hours ago went i checked it last. It only been dropped twice and that was ages ago...not a scratch on it...and I only really only play around with it 30 min -1 hour a day..im not a big user...and the POS died :upset:

Wonder how good there warranty is... :/...it only just shy of 12 months

so..sad :(

5. MyDixiesNormous

MyDixiesNormous Member

Have you tried plugging it back into a charger ? I've put in a new battery that speriodically powers the phone off. It's impossible to boot, even into recovery mode without plugging in the charger.

6. OP
    OP
    Danske

Danske Member

7. guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

Those are great in the car with no BT connectivity or for older home stereos.

I've got 4 around the house and in cars

Can buy the same ones from China for $4 if you don't mind a 3 week delivery wait

8. Imitation

Imitation Member

I woke up with my phone alarm this morning. Checked a bit of stuff out on it. Got ready for work. Got to work and went to text someone but noticed my phone in a boot loop. Don't have the energy to see what's wrong with it tonight.

EDIT: Well this is silly. After a quick search I found that the power button can get stuck (or perma broke). I jiggled it around a lot and it booted fine. Well that's a relief :D

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  9. Rusty X5

Rusty X5 Member

Yer..mine magically working again...played around with it abit more and it suddenly turned on..could have been the power button...but seem weird as it was fine...then just turned off for no reason without me touching it.

Doesnt matter..phone is unreliable now..new phone on the way. Try out the zenfone 5, if i like, buy the zenfone 2 in march :)

10. Cranky

Cranky Member

Yep, all works perfectly - only thing I've noticed is the screen seems slightly dimmer (very slight) and I think I might have let some dust into the camera... need to take the cover off again and clean it properly. Other then than, the screen is as responsive as ever and it seems to be working fine.

I'll take a photo of the old screen to give some idea of all the tiny pieces I had to work out of the case.

This happened to my second N5 - which was the main motivation to start rebuilding my first one (shattered screen). I don't know what happened, but about 4 weeks after it first started, the problem just stopped - been almost a week now with no reboot or "sticky" power button. Short term solution is as you say, just press the button really quickly until the boot loop stops...

11. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

Anyone who's fixed the screen got a good source on the replacement parts? The cost of taking it into a shop is far too much ($200+ quotes on a $450 phone can eat a bag of dicks). Replacement screens prices don't seem terribly cheap either though :(

Ah someone linked a couple pages back. Are OEM bits reliable? Shame Google didn't extend the free replacement to Australia.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  12. Rusty X5

Rusty X5 Member

$140 too much?

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_...reen&_nkw=nexus+5+screen+replacement&_sacat=0

13. Wolfje

Wolfje Member

I bought one of the $140 ones. The screen was dim, color repro was very off, had a few hundred dead pixels and the digitizer didn't register presses on the right-hand side of the screen. Ebay guy wouldn't accept return unless I paid for tracked shipping which came to nearly $60.

0/10 would not buy again.

Oh and the packaging came sealed with a million fucking ants in it

14. FatBoyNotSoSlim

FatBoyNotSoSlim Member

Has anyone had this or a similar screen issue on their Nexus 5?

Internet research tells me it could be an issue with the flex cable internally (warranty job, or $120 off ebay) and I'm doing the slow BS troublshooting with Google for it now, but since I'm rooted and custom rom, I've got to go back to stock anyway before they would accept it back...

15. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

Yeah that's what I'm worried about. You see some for quite a bit cheaper even, but I've heard some horror stories. Would love to get it fixed for a reasonable price though. It's a shame you can't just replace the glass.

16. tzortst

tzortst Member

I had something like this happen to me when I was fucking around with xposed and some mods, screen was just flickering exactly like this. Disabled the mod and it came good again.

17. FatBoyNotSoSlim

FatBoyNotSoSlim Member

I'm not using xposed, but carbonrom haven't updated from 4.4.4 yet. Maybe it's time to go to a new rom/stock lollipop and see if that fixes it.

18. Smegenstein

Smegenstein Member

Parted ways with my Nexus 5...

Got sick of my cracked screen, so ended up paying out my contract and restarting onto a Z3 instead.... Good news is for whatever reason telstra are still failing to track my data usage!

19. OP
    OP
    Danske

Danske Member

Is this a joke? lol :lol:.

20. Rusty X5

Rusty X5 Member

nope...i've got ebay packages from syd/melb with ants in them aswell